U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 12:22 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,504,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Stay tuned for the full version of the arts supply store story.
Ahh, tease!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM

9,618 posts, read 13,757,111 times
This version of the story says the arts supply store will be mostly in the basement with a small part of the ground floor serving as the entrance. The writer told me she hasn't been able to get confirmation on the grocery store. As for Columbia needing and supporting an arts supply store, I think this setup will be perfect. As for the grocery store, it would be game-changing.

COLUMBIA, SC: New store opening at Main and Taylor streets in downtown Columbia | Shop Around | The State

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM

The supply store in the basement completely changes my perception of this. Thanks for clarifying, I've gone from underwhelmed to pretty excited.

I know we're just peddling in rumors at the moment, but would anyone be willing to share any details of the possible grocery store? I assume this isn't a full-service Publix-style store, but more of a city market/bodega establishment? Is it a known national brand or something local?

Tupelo Honey coming to The Hub would be great. We would have done a lot of catching up with Greenville pretty fast! They've done such a great job up there, so I mean that as a compliment to both cities.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM

Yes, their Main Street started redeveloping way before ours did. Meanwhile the Vista, Five Points and Devine Street haven't skipped a beat. A redeveloped Main Street at the center of it all is exciting. BTW, City Art on Lady Street in the Vista has a rather extensive art supplies component.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM

I mostly agree, although I think Five Points could use some development. There are a number of empty stores and the area could really use some new types of businesses to generate positive press to offset the negative image the area has developed over the last few years.

On a related note, I talked to the owner of Sizzle and they should be opening in the next week or two. As I mentioned in another post, Five Points may soon begin to share its role as the center of student life as more university development takes place downtown and towards the river. With so many affluent neighborhoods around Five Points, I think it could become more of a retail and dining district hub for those areas as student bars spread throughout other parts of the city.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Sizzle, a new little cafe on Saluda, and something apparently going in on Harden near the wedding store are indicative of continued interest in Five Points. The police department and sheriff's office seem to have slapped some sense into the district. I think some of the chatter about a possible shift of student nightlife to Main Street from Five Points might be the results more of wishful thinking by those Five Points boosters who equate student nightlife with the problems Five Points had until some changes were made.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,000,412 times
re: a new little cafe on Saluda, and something apparently going in on Harden near the wedding store

Cafe is Scoopty Doo, Drip owner's brother's ice cream store. Harden near the Men's Warehouse is a pizza place. They've had to do extensive interior renovation work as when it was Pops there were major issue with everything from ventilation/ac to a wonky floor. They've gutted it completely and have been working on it for a good while, I hope they didn't run out of money though as you'd think they'd be open by now after six months of work.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM

6,637 posts, read 14,147,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
This version of the story says the arts supply store will be mostly in the basement with a small part of the ground floor serving as the entrance. The writer told me she hasn't been able to get confirmation on the grocery store. As for Columbia needing and supporting an arts supply store, I think this setup will be perfect. As for the grocery store, it would be game-changing.

COLUMBIA, SC: New store opening at Main and Taylor streets in downtown Columbia | Shop Around | The State
That building would be a perfect size for a Dean and Deluca or Trader Joe's. A 2nd location of the Gourmet Shop would be nice, too.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM

How big is the space? Is it too small to a CityTarget or Walmart Neighborhood Market? I know I am asking for it by saying this, but either of those would be a coup for downtown, especially Main Street. I'm a big booster of local retail, but a retailer like that would make Main Street relevant for more than just dining and niche retail. People would go there for their everyday shopping in a way that hasn't existed in a generation. And the tax revenues for the city would be nice, too.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM

6,637 posts, read 14,147,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
How big is the space? Is it too small to a CityTarget or Walmart Neighborhood Market? I know I am asking for it by saying this, but either of those would be a coup for downtown, especially Main Street. I'm a big booster of local retail, but a retailer like that would make Main Street relevant for more than just dining and niche retail. People would go there for their everyday shopping in a way that hasn't existed in a generation. And the tax revenues for the city would be nice, too.
I almost choked on my salad when I saw Wal-Mart. Please....no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or