U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM

572 posts, read 735,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
From the mayor:

"There is significant progress being made Matt. Stay tuned."
@ that answer.

Thanks for asking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 AM

6,151 posts, read 9,362,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Thought you guys would want to know this.

City to Explore Development of

Sounds like a good idea.. but what about height NIMBYS? Depending on the location/view and some may not want to increase the densityheight in sections of the CBD.. I kid you not.. I was talking with a friend of mine about downtown and he thought it was getting way too congested..(i.e. dense). He is from (part of) Lexington though where the tallest structure is a water tower.... I think building above the garages would also fill more of the garages with long term parkers and thus keep more cars off the street if people can park once and walk...He thought I was crazy...I think there is a general mistrust (still) of parking garages in the City....He told me a tale where a homeless person snuck up him unnoticed after following him for several blocks....It reminded the movie Terminator 3 where the cyborg was liquid metal and could blend in with its surroundings and just sneak up on you with an outstretched hand and in a liquor tinged voice stammer " X cuse me ... X cuse me...canya hep me out" . He was like "I couldnt imagine being in a parking garage and having one of those guys get the drop on me or my wife at my car..or at the elevator going up to my apartment.."..smh..

Old 09-15-2014, 01:10 PM

232 posts, read 292,642 times
Dear Mayor:

We ARE tuned! We've been in that mode for several years now. We're still waiting for the delivery of the promise from last year. Please provide us at least a little more specific information about when things will actually start moving on this project. Let's finish what we start before turning all of our attention elsewhere to large projects like Columbia Commons. Respectfully, a city resident and taxpayer.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Penny sales tax

Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM

i appreciate the intent of your brevity there, Columbiadata, but the fact remains that you have steadfastly (albeit unintentionally, perhaps) defended the status quo of nothingness from the mayor's office in terms of leadership on this project. For more than a year now, whenever I have posted an inquiry about the status of this project, you have attempted to squelch concerns by repeating the mantra of "penny sales tax". Last year when I wrote about it, you assured me that we would be seeing tangible progress by mid-2014 at the latest, based on your apparent connections. Here we are approaching the fourth quarter of 2014, on the cusp of yet another new year, and... NOTHING. Don't you find it disturbing to know that the tax has been collected for quite a while now, yet those "shovel-ready" jobs like the Greenway (negotiations to build it on Guignard land have been completed for years) haven't materialized? I think it is a fitting criticism of the mayor that he has woefully failed to follow through with one of the key planks of his State of the City address more than 18 months ago: "Soon we will be able to walk from Canalside to the baseball stadium (USC) along the river", or words very close to that effect. I'm tired of paying the tax and I'm tired of hearing the words "penny sales tax" as some kind of blanket panacea to quell all rumblings about mismanagement of public funds. I have written the mayor's office also. In my opinion, this portion of the trail should have been funded well in advance of the penny sales tax, since it is a key portion of the original vision of Three Rivers Greenway. To me, justifying its delay by association with the penny sales tax is a poor excuse for failure to implement. Doesn't anyone else besides me see that this specific failure could represent a microcosm of the poor execution that may well occur with the Columbia Commons development? Aren't these the same seemingly inept people who are ultimately overseeing both projects? (I appreciate in advance those who might respond that the penny sales tax should result in some real construction, really soon.)

Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,136,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
i appreciate the intent of your brevity there, Columbiadata, but the fact remains that you have steadfastly (albeit unintentionally, perhaps) defended the status quo of nothingness from the mayor's office in terms of leadership on this project. For more than a year now, whenever I have posted an inquiry about the status of this project, you have attempted to squelch concerns by repeating the mantra of "penny sales tax". Last year when I wrote about it, you assured me that we would be seeing tangible progress by mid-2014 at the latest, based on your apparent connections. Here we are approaching the fourth quarter of 2014, on the cusp of yet another new year, and... NOTHING. Don't you find it disturbing to know that the tax has been collected for quite a while now, yet those "shovel-ready" jobs like the Greenway (negotiations to build it on Guignard land have been completed for years) haven't materialized? I think it is a fitting criticism of the mayor that he has woefully failed to follow through with one of the key planks of his State of the City address more than 18 months ago: "Soon we will be able to walk from Canalside to the baseball stadium (USC) along the river", or words very close to that effect. I'm tired of paying the tax and I'm tired of hearing the words "penny sales tax" as some kind of blanket panacea to quell all rumblings about mismanagement of public funds. I have written the mayor's office also. In my opinion, this portion of the trail should have been funded well in advance of the penny sales tax, since it is a key portion of the original vision of Three Rivers Greenway. To me, justifying its delay by association with the penny sales tax is a poor excuse for failure to implement. Doesn't anyone else besides me see that this specific failure could represent a microcosm of the poor execution that may well occur with the Columbia Commons development? Aren't these the same seemingly inept people who are ultimately overseeing both projects? (I appreciate in advance those who might respond that the penny sales tax should result in some real construction, really soon.)
Daddo, you make some good points. Have you contacted the mayor or your city councilperson and received a response?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 PM

I received the same tantalizing yet informationally-devoid response: "Stay tuned!" I would like to contact the State newspaper and ask them to look into a followup story--Joey Holleman or Jeff Wilkinson maybe--the Free Times covered the rivers in a great issue earlier this year. I don't sense that we are on the cusp of any momentous news, however. Why the money can't be spent on this long overdue project remains very mysterious. Since the mayor made a promise, though, I think he is personally on the hook for this one. Yet, he seems nearly immune to any legitimate criticism about a variety of topics, so I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Columbiadata, I don't want to provoke the wrong response from you, as your insightful postings really make this board. But you seem uncharacteristically dismissive of my perseveration on this one issue. I can certainly understand, since there is no legitimate reason why it remains dead in the water. Too bad the mayor doesn't read these posts from time to time and weigh in directly! I'd love to hear the real reason why this critical leg of the Greenway continues to go unfinished.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I don't know how many times I have to explain that when the penny sales tax was put on the ballot for the purpose of establishing a 22-year fund for road improvements, greenways, sidewalks and transit, the completion of the greenway system became dependent on the penny sales tax. If you want to fuss, get in touch with the guy who works with Richland County who is in charge of prioritizing the list of projects, the first of which will be some road improvements. I read just the other day, probably in The State, that the greenway is supposed to be among the first of the "non-road" projects on the list. No one is any more anxious and frustrated than I am that the greenway isn't yet complete or even in construction phase, but neither are any of the first road projects on the list. Those are coming, and the greenway is, too. In the meantime, just be glad the penny sales tax will be paying for the greenway completion and that little if any of it will be coming out of the city's budget.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,852 times
I'm telling you, this columbiadata and daddo61 friendly fued is quite entertaining; as well as informational. Positivity and confidence vs. gloomy and dissenting. Where's my popcorn?

and just my 2 cents worth of complete speculation and overall feeling of the matter: The money keeps piling in while everyone involved spends more time and effort towards building something that will endure for a LONG, LONG time. I say be patient. Columbia is blooming regardless and all of these projects will fall inline with what's happening around it.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM

I'm sure it also has to do with land acquisition. That's probably what the mayor meant by significant progress being made. He's pretty influential, but he's not a magician or a czar or God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or