U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 PM

9,640 posts, read 13,808,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm sure it also has to do with land acquisition. That's probably what the mayor meant by significant progress being made. He's pretty influential, but he's not a magician or a czar or God.
The above was in response to a post saying the delay has nothing to do with the penny sales tax. That post seems to have disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM

232 posts, read 294,920 times
I took it down at the request of the person supplying the information. Hopefully it will appear in an article about the Three Rivers Greenway expansion--both successes and woes--in the near future.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM

If the article documents failures on the mayor and city council's part you'll be vindicated.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM

232 posts, read 294,920 times
Vindication is not the proper description. Frustration sums it up more accurately. The mayor promised what he ultimately could not deliver. As you say he is not a king or a czar, but maybe sometimes he thinks he is. On the other hand, with our weak mayor system of governance I'm convinced that some measure of hubris is critical to getting things done. I think that Mayor Benjamin should communicate some of the details about the hurdles keeping him from making this happen. Unfortunately the penny sales tax won't help unravel the problems with this one segment of the Greenway. I hereby aver to drop my annoyance with this one part and turn my attention to the Saluda River segment heading to the Zoo and 1-26. It looks hopeful for some concrete news on that segment very soon.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Even if the segment you're speaking of isn't included in what the mayor described to me as progress, I feel sure he and city council are determined to work out whatever is holding things up on that part of the overall project. These things have a way of going silent and then all of a sudden popping up in a pretty headline and exciting article.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Student apartments are here to stay in growing cities with major universities.

Events - ULI South Carolina

Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM

6,192 posts, read 9,427,069 times
Quote:
Student apartments are here to stay in growing cities with major universities.

Events - ULI South Carolina

Interesting... I wonder if this is a big trend in major cities with large universities? Seems like the interest may be more in medium size cities with large univerisities where these types of apartments are more of a novelty that in large more dense older cities with a wide range of housing types and prices... I guess I need to pay the non member fee and attend to find out.......

Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM

A cool piece of interactive public art was unveiled on Main Street this morning.

Stop, Sit And Make Music

Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting... I wonder if this is a big trend in major cities with large universities? Seems like the interest may be more in medium size cities with large univerisities where these types of apartments are more of a novelty that in large more dense older cities with a wide range of housing types and prices... I guess I need to pay the non member fee and attend to find out.......
It's happening in Atlanta. These two developments are currently going up in Midtown and cater to GA Tech students:

This is a recent proposal for student housing near Oglethorpe University:

Old 09-18-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
A cool piece of interactive public art was unveiled on Main Street this morning.

Stop, Sit And Make Music
Here are some more shots of the steel drums.

In photos: Columbia public art | Living Here Photos | The State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or