Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

I have often thought that North Main between Elmwood and Sunset Drive was an overlooked gold mine. Its close to Earlewood Park, Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Richland Hospital, Downtown, State Offices on Bull Street, and has plenty of access to I-126, 277 and has little traffic and plenty of large parcels for development that can accomodate both pedestrain and vehicle parking. Would love to see the City move the fire station and allow somthing "cool" to go in there that could serve as an additional anchor. Something like artists lofts apartments would work well in that area if they provide workspace, gallery, and housing for the residents that live there.. Nice and flat for biking/walking to downtown.. though the intersection of Main and Elmwood should be improved to make it more of a gateway and pedestrian friendly... I see that area becoming the next Vista (as the article states) but with more multi family housing with ground floor artists/shops, in the new developments given the parcel size and lack of existing structures.. The entire corridor can be built from scratch....

Vino Garage expanding as North Main readies for growth | Shop Around | The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
M Fresh has closed, 1237 Washington Street. Michelle Wang told employees she'll try to find spots for them in her remaining restaurants. I like m fresh's salads and shakes but the location blew. I think it would have worked on Devine street.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
M Fresh has closed, 1237 Washington Street. Michelle Wang told employees she'll try to find spots for them in her remaining restaurants. I like m fresh's salads and shakes but the location blew. I think it would have worked on Devine street.
This surprises me. It was always pretty busy the times I went. I didn't think the location was bad, seems like a spot where there will only be more and more going on in the next few years.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
It used to be busy but last few months got emptier and emptier.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:28 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
It wasn't a very visible location. I'll miss it, though.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:26 AM

117 posts, read 183,905 times
That was a great place

Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Default Columbia-based men's denim can be bought on Main St

The jeans are not made in Columbia (they're made in north Georgia), but the owner lives here in columbia, and they can be bought at circa 1332 on main st.

SC-based woman finds passion in denim design - Washington Times

Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
^ Very cool. I had no idea. It really makes you wonder, what will Columbia produce next? Lol

Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Main Street has become so successful so fast that some small businesses are finding they have to leave the central business district when they lose their lease, because available spots that are still affordable are scarce. State Street in Vista West (West Columbia) is a good choice for Frame of Mind, who has lost its Main Street lease, and Main Street north of Elmwood will soon be another chic spot to migrate to as downtown rental rates squeeze some entrepreneurs out.

First Thursdays Founder to Leave Main Street - Free-Times.com

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 AM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Main Street has become so successful so fast that some small businesses are finding they have to leave the central business district when they lose their lease, because available spots that are still affordable are scarce. State Street in Vista West (West Columbia) is a good choice for Frame of Mind, who has lost its Main Street lease, and Main Street north of Elmwood will soon be another chic spot to migrate to as downtown rental rates squeeze some entrepreneurs out.

First Thursdays Founder to Leave Main Street - Free-Times.com
Sad. This was not one of the tenants I wanted to see go. There are a few I'm hoping will close and be replaced by something more interesting, but sad about this. I just wonder what will replace it. Hopefully not another office of some sort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area