Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times

Advertisements

Basically, the tables, tile, menu board etc has a yellowing sweat and grease stained patina of a fast food joint put up in 1970 and never renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:32 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Basically, the tables, tile, menu board etc has a yellowing sweat and grease stained patina of a fast food joint put up in 1970 and never renovated.

In ten more years it will be "retro vintage" and declared historic...

Old 03-12-2015, 09:49 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
No no no no no no no no no no no no.

This is where revitalizations efforts go wrong: when developers and supporters try to make their area like everywhere else. Drakes, for all its warts, is beloved by many. Look at the online reviews. Talk to locals. I know several people who used to live in Columbia and, when they come back, are sure to hit up Drake's for a chicken sandwich.

Don't like it? Don't go there. But it's been a thriving business downtown since long before most people on this board or in Columbia could be bothered to visit Main Street. If you whitewash an institution like Drake's in an effort to increase the cachet of the area, you will achieve the exact opposite effect. If you want a soulless strip of retail, go to an outlet mall. Downtown Columbia is a real place with real people, including places and people that are a little rough around the edges. There's room for that AND upscale gelato (or whatever other trendy spot trickles down from some larger city).

Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no no.

This is where revitalizations efforts go wrong: when developers and supporters try to make their area like everywhere else. Drakes, for all its warts, is beloved by many. Look at the online reviews. Talk to locals. I know several people who used to live in Columbia and, when they come back, are sure to hit up Drake's for a chicken sandwich.

Don't like it? Don't go there. But it's been a thriving business downtown since long before most people on this board or in Columbia could be bothered to visit Main Street. If you whitewash an institution like Drake's in an effort to increase the cachet of the area, you will achieve the exact opposite effect. If you want a soulless strip of retail, go to an outlet mall. Downtown Columbia is a real place with real people, including places and people that are a little rough around the edges. There's room for that AND upscale gelato (or whatever other trendy spot trickles down from some larger city).
My previous comments notwithstanding, I really do not disagree with you. I just wish Drake's was in a less prominent location. Even just on a side street right off Main. I do not want Main to turn into nothing but an outdoor mall of national retailers, and I want Columbia to preserve its longstanding local spots, but I do think the clock is ticking for Drake's in its present iteration and location. With rents and property values rising, it likely will be forced to move by the market in a few years.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
When I used to work downtown, 20 years ago, I loved me some Drakes. I haven't been since then, but like posted above, local flavor is good. Eddie's, Edna's, and that hot dog place (I can't remember the name), were all good. Damn I'm old.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 PM

678 posts, read 799,182 times
I'm kind of ashamed to admit this , but I've lived in Columbia since 2000, have worked on Main st in the past, have lived on Main st since last March and have never eaten at Drakes. I need eat there I guess.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
I have no problem with the Drake's aesthetic. They went through the trouble of making imitation windows on what would otherwise be a bland facade, and I love the little inset where you can sit and eat. It is local. It is real. And it caters to a crowd that's hungry for hamburgers and French fries, and there's nothing wrong with that in a central business district in the United States of America. I might just have to go down there and pig out in honor of their look and their role within the realm of downtown's revival.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
When I used to work downtown, 20 years ago, I loved me some Drakes. I haven't been since then, but like posted above, local flavor is good. Eddie's, Edna's, and that hot dog place (I can't remember the name), were all good. Damn I'm old.

I believe you are referring to Sandy's Hot Dogs

The owner of Drake's (and I have never met him/them) strikes me as someone who would resist major changes based on some of what we have talked about on here.. assuming it is still the same owner that allowed his store to be the embassy for the homeless.. It struck me as not only a business decision to allow folks to camp out in there but a political statement since they went against the popular theory of pushing the homeless out..even before it started to make headlines as an "issue". They have made some improvement over the years and have lasted longer than the half a dozen or so other fast food "joints" that have existed downtown.. so I can agree there is a place for everyone.....

The downtown 'courtesy' officers took the place of the CPD as the polite way to deal with the homeless question and I havent hung around downtown long enough to observe how things are down there now with the homeless other than what I read. Whats interesting is that as more and more people come downtown to hang out and shop.. The homeless become less visible (though their plight is no less a concern) unless they are acting out in some manner due to other issues and draw attention to themselves...

Drakes is probably in the same category as Zestos, Angelo's and Rush's when it come to local fast food.. though I believe that is their only location...Zesto's on North Main has the same 'decor' in terms of interior seating...

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-13-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 05:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I believe you are referring to Sandy's Hot Dogs

The owner of Drake's (and I have never met him/them) strikes me as someone who would resist major changes based on some of what we have talked about on here.. assuming it is still the same owner that allowed his store to be the embassy for the homeless.. It struck me as not only a business decision to allow folks to camp out in there but a political statement since they went against the popular theory of pushing the homeless out..even before it started to make headlines as an "issue". They have made some improvement over the years and have lasted longer than the half a dozen or so other fast food "joints" that have existed downtown.. so I can agree there is a place for everyone.....

The downtown 'courtesy' officers took the place of the CPD as the polite way to deal with the homeless question and I havent hung around downtown long enough to observe how things are down there now with the homeless other than what I read. Whats interesting is that as more and more people come downtown to hang out and shop.. The homeless become less visible (though their plight is no less a concern) unless they are acting out in some manner due to other issues and draw attention to themselves...

Drakes is probably in the same category as Zestos, Angelo's and Rush's when it come to local fast food.. though I believe that is their only location...Zesto's on North Main has the same 'decor' in terms of interior seating...
Zesto's on North Main is actually in process of renovating.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,145 times
Zesto's on North Main has some of the best coleslaw in town. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area