U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
So y'all Think city council caves, gives the apartment developer all the spots they need and then just builds more garages? Because in the state story as of now apartment residents may not be able to park in building they live in.
That's a good question. I hope parking doesn't keep these projects from happening, but building new garages seems like a giveaway of public funds. I hope there is a middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,136,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
That's a good question. I hope parking doesn't keep these projects from happening, but building new garages seems like a giveaway of public funds. I hope there is a middle ground.
More garages with apartment buildings over them!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:55 AM

665 posts, read 603,368 times
One also wonders why if it's possible to build an apartment on top of a garage why can't they add a floor of parking as well?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
One also wonders why if it's possible to build an apartment on top of a garage why can't they add a floor of parking as well?
I'm sure they can, I bet it is just cost. Probably easier to build a separate building on top with its own structure rather than add to an existing building.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 AM

616 posts, read 454,997 times
A typical parking garage is at least a 12 in slab with tons of rebar. I also doubt we will get much height out of this, since essentially you will be looking at a lightweight building to reduce costs. The top levels of most of these structures mostly have few cars parked in the spots most days I visit. It might leave about 50 or 60 spaces in the larger lots, so you might be looking at between 30-50 unit buildings.

I would much rather have density though, then end up with a skyline like Oklahoma City.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,402 times
Interesting, fellas. Welp, at the end of the day there will be more density and there will be a better utilization for space. I'm fine with that.

And uhh... Wow... Just looked up Oklahoma City's skyline and that's just not quite right. That tallest is a beautiful glass tower but geez, that's all you see! But I'm with you, Jordo.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:03 PM

29,719 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Interesting, fellas. Welp, at the end of the day there will be more density and there will be a better utilization for space. I'm fine with that.

And uhh... Wow... Just looked up Oklahoma City's skyline and that's just not quite right. That tallest is a beautiful glass tower but geez, that's all you see! But I'm with you, Jordo.
Well Charlotte's looked something like that for a little while after BOA Corporate Center was built. It will take a little time for the skyline to fill in is all.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,402 times
It's funny you mention Charlotte because I immediately thought the same thing when I saw OKC's skyline. Both buildings are nearly the same height, but Charlottes B of A building doesn't stick out as much in my opinion. It may be due to the fact that OKC's building is an all out blue-glass look that makes it stand out more compared to Charlottes' being a more contemporary look.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 PM

29,719 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
It's funny you mention Charlotte because I immediately thought the same thing when I saw OKC's skyline. Both buildings are nearly the same height, but Charlottes B of A building doesn't stick out as much in my opinion. It may be due to the fact that OKC's building is an all out blue-glass look that makes it stand out more compared to Charlottes' being a more contemporary look.
It's because Charlotte has several other other tall buildings, whereas OKC just has that one for right now. Not too long after BOA Corporate Center was built, Hearst Tower next to it went up (which is a little shorter) and that altered the effect BOA had of completely towering over the skyline.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Persona Neopolitan Pizzeria, a personal pizza, salad and ice cream restaurant that is now in Santa Barbara, California, is coming soon to Santa Rosa, California; Columbia, South Carolina; and Houston, Texas. Columbia's restaurant is going to be in the former Roll Call spot in the 1200 block of Main Street. Their sign is in the window there now.

Locations - Persona Neapolitan Pizzeria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or