Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Correct.
Ah yeah good point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
A Starbucks that serves alcohol is going into the cellar of the Sheraton with street level windows. A restaurant new to the Columbia market is going into the McCrory's building. Persona Pizza is going into the former Roll Call space. Southern Squeezed, a juice bar, is going into the ground floor of the Palms on Lady Street. The Tucson, Arizona-based juice bar is going into the ground floor of the Hub. Any other late news?

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Good to hear, the girlfriend will love the Starbucks- albeit I'm not a huge fan. By the way, while were on the topic of Main Street developments... I had a friend in town this past Friday night and Saturday. In an attempt to impress, we took her to Main street and were shooting for Cantina 76- a place that would seem to suit her fancy with margaritas and a light appetizer before a night out. It was around 10 PM. As we approached, there was a server sweeping outside and the place looked dead- she said the kitchen stops serving food at 10 PM and the bar has it's last call around 10:30. What the hell? Is it normal for a place like Cantina to close this early on a Friday night? Does this have to do with it being summertime and less students in town? It was a bit frustrating since the other options was the Whig and Bourbon, which are fine, but even then, what time in general does everything close down on Main Street?

On second thought... I forgot the Whig serves food. Dang! I wish I would have realized this before.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Good to hear, the girlfriend will love the Starbucks- albeit I'm not a huge fan. By the way, while were on the topic of Main Street developments... I had a friend in town this past Friday night and Saturday. In an attempt to impress, we took her to Main street and were shooting for Cantina 76- a place that would seem to suit her fancy with margaritas and a light appetizer before a night out. It was around 10 PM. As we approached, there was a server sweeping outside and the place looked dead- she said the kitchen stops serving food at 10 PM and the bar has it's last call around 10:30. What the hell? Is it normal for a place like Cantina to close this early on a Friday night? Does this have to do with it being summertime and less students in town? It was a bit frustrating since the other options was the Whig and Bourbon, which are fine, but even then, what time in general does everything close down on Main Street?

On second thought... I forgot the Whig serves food. Dang! I wish I would have realized this before.
Main st past and including cantina 76, except perhaps for the Sheraton rooftop bar, after 11 pm is usually pretty slow compared to the vista, even on weekends. I would have suggested Bourbon, but I can't blame you for expecting cantina 76 to have been open later. It's really not that it's the summer. It seems to be directionally same the rest of the year, though perhaps the summer does make it at least a little slower than usual. Main st past lady st is incredibly vibrant IMO during all other times, but after 11 pm don't expect tons of foot traffic... yet. The good news is with continued growth it will no doubt be a place eventually that even past lady st there will be more late night activity. I wish the white mule would return.

Last edited by Bouje2; 06-15-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Main st past cantina 76, except perhaps for the Sheraton rooftop bar, after 11 pm is usually pretty slow compared to the vista, even on weekends. I would have suggested Bourbon, but I can't blame you for expecting cantina 76 to have been open later. It's really not that it's the summer. It seems to be the same the rest of the year. Main st past lady st is incredibly vibrant IMO during all other times, but after 11 pm don't expect tons of foot traffic... yet. The good news is with continued growth it will no doubt be a place eventually that even past lady st there will be more late night activity. I wish the white mule would return.
I'm still disappointed the White Mule's replacement, The Reserve, never materialized.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I was hoping that the McCrory building would house retail, preferably something new to the market. I'm curious about the type of restaurant going there though.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Main st past and including cantina 76, except perhaps for the Sheraton rooftop bar, after 11 pm is usually pretty slow compared to the vista, even on weekends. I would have suggested Bourbon, but I can't blame you for expecting cantina 76 to have been open later. It's really not that it's the summer. It seems to be directionally same the rest of the year, though perhaps the summer does make it at least a little slower than usual. Main st past lady st is incredibly vibrant IMO during all other times, but after 11 pm don't expect tons of foot traffic... yet. The good news is with continued growth it will no doubt be a place eventually that even past lady st there will be more late night activity. I wish the white mule would return.
I see. I'll have to keep that in mind next time we go out. Maybe start on main street and end up in the Vista- which is what we inevitably did. I'd like to see Main street eventually become as lively as the Vista at night- maybe not quite as boisterous. Overall, I think 10 PM is still early to me if you plan on an evening of drinking. I joked with my friend that we could have gone to Ruby Tuesdays or TGI Fridays and got a drink at their bar that probably stays open till 11 or so. Oh well.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 PM

61 posts, read 79,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I'm still disappointed the White Mule's replacement, The Reserve, never materialized.
Kinda random but a gay bar in that space would be awesome!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaPro View Post
Kinda random but a gay bar in that space would be awesome!
Yes it would, especially with the proximity to the Nickelodeon.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
Maybe the capital club could move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area