Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 8,870 times

Advertisements

Save your $ and get a kayak. You will never regret it ever! There are SO MANY cool places to go on the water with one and you can fish too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I was at Saluda Shoals yesterday and across the way at James Metts Landing two women hopped in their kayaks and took off down the Saluda River.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
I've moved around a fair amount in my post-college life, so I know what you're going through. In my experience, by far the best way to meet friends is at school. It does not sound like you're a student, so that may not be an option for you.

Besides school, another way I made friends in new cities is by talking to neighbors my age. If you live in an apartment complex, hang out in the common areas, pool, etc., and strike up a conversation. It may feel awkward, but once people know you're new to town and trying to make friends, most people who aren't jerks will understand and open up to you. If you live alone in a house, consider getting a roommate (but be selective in the process). It was my experience that making the first friend is the hardest part, but once that happens, the network starts to blossom.

Did you move to Columbia for work? Depending on the environment, work is either a great place to make friends or is hopeless. Any way of using that avenue to network?

The most difficult thing for me was getting over the insecurity of feeling lame for being "that guy" who is eager to make friends. If you can get over this and take the attitude of "what do I have to lose?" things will get easier. If you annoy people by trying to be friendly, that's their problem, not yours, and it's not like they'll remember you anyway

Best of luck to you, and welcome to Columbia!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 15,164 times
Frankly, I can see how someone would feel isolated if they were not into USC athletics and bars. I'm not saying you aren't, I'm just telling you.

It really depends on your interests and maybe even your personality. Again, being brutally honest, Columbia is not the most diverse place in the country.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendellH View Post
Frankly, I can see how someone would feel isolated if they were not into USC athletics and bars. I'm not saying you aren't, I'm just telling you.

It really depends on your interests and maybe even your personality. Again, being brutally honest, Columbia is not the most diverse place in the country.
Let me begin my response by saying I smell a troll.

There are all kinds of groups for different interests here. It's easy to feel isolated in New York City if you have that mind set. There's always something going on in Columbia, from hiking to the arts to festivals to running or walking on the greenway to sailing to canoeing to kayaking to being a foodie to concerts to doing whatever floats your boat.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Let me begin my response by saying I smell a troll.

There are all kinds of groups for different interests here. It's easy to feel isolated in New York City if you have that mind set. There's always something going on in Columbia, from hiking to the arts to festivals to running or walking on the greenway to sailing to canoeing to kayaking to being a foodie to concerts to doing whatever floats your boat.
You smell a troll? Because I gave an opinion you didn't like?

He seemed to indicate he was looking to socialize. I never said there wasn't anything to do in Columbia, but frankly, you are a bit of a sunshine pumper if you really feel Columbia has a culture that young professionals are looking for. Hiking? Arts? Food? Concerts? Do you sincerely feel those could be considered adequate in Columbia, the largest, most educated city in South Carolina?

I do feel that Columbia is becoming a more and more attractive place for young people, and it is a great place to live, but there just isn't that much to do at night, in particular.

Last edited by KendellH; 11-12-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM

To challenge my status as a troll, I will give you some suggestions without being too critical:

There are a lot of opportunities for outdoor activity (tennis leagues, cycling clubs, etc) because of the warm weather.

There are many good places to eat, but I would prefer more international.

There are a lot of museums, parks, and annual festivals.

And of course, there is the Gamecocks.
As I said earlier, this is a big part of the social scene in Columbia.

The Free Times is a great paper with a lot of information on things going on in Columbia.

The best thing about Columbia is it is not pretentious. It would be nice if the city was more open to new ideas like more green areas and bike lanes, but I won't get into that.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM

OP, look up COR (Columbia Opportunity Resource), an organization by young professionals for young professionals.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
There is plenty to do in Columbia that has nothing to do with USC sports. The Nickelodeon has indie films on a daily basis, Trustus Theatre, Workshop Theatre, Town Theatre, the Tapp's Arts Center, the Columbia Museum of Art, the State Museum, Edventure, parks, trails, kayaking, barhopping, the Koger Center, Conundrum Music Hall, the Township, Lake Murray, Congaree National Park, festivals galore, etc. If you can't find anything to do here, you're not looking.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
I am a young professional who moved here a little over a year ago after college and though I grew up here, most HS friends I had went to Clemson (believe it or not) and I lost touch with most of them so I was in the same boat and I found out that there are a ton of people in this city that move here and dont know anyone and looking to meet other people there age as im sure just about any city our size and larger because there are so many jobs post grads move for, or people get transferred from another city. Sure these people may have their friends from college that come down for the weekend or maybe one or two friends from work, but overall they are in the exact same boat just like we all were at freshman orientation in college, no one knowing anyone else, everyone getting to know who their future friends would be, its the same thing here but were not all in the same classes and there isnt one big Columbia Freshman Orientation! ColaData is exactly right COR is a good group of folks that hold several network events, I would also look at groups like Columbia Referrals Over Cocktails, its a group on LinkedIn too.

Also I know at some bars it may look "lame" or what not to be there by yourself, but there are several bars in the vista and on main that are much more chill that people go to by themselves too especially at happy hour. Check out Cantina 76, Rooftop at The Sheraton, even perhaps Pearlz. I have been to all of those numerous times alone and thought nothing of it, as a matter of fact met a few folks doing the same thing. I mean its going to be a little awkward sometimes but once you get past that and meet some folks, youll be good go.

Hope it all works out man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area