Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM

235 posts, read 401,637 times

Advertisements

My son is 16, a rising senior in high school, and we're trying to figure out some volunteer opportunities for him to stay busy this summer. We live in the Irmo/Ballentine area. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,395,424 times
Irmo-Chapin Recreation Commission is always looking for volunteers to do maintenance, coach, officiate tournaments, and work camps. I'd look there.

www.icrc.net

Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,973,640 times
unless the volunteer hours are wanted to help on potential college applications, i'd maybe also suggest having him pick up a part time job (unless he has one already of course). A summer job, even if the money isnt as important based on whatever a family's situation may be, can do wonders for building some work ethic and perhaps gain an extra reference or two for later use as well.
Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM

67 posts, read 134,728 times
I was going to suggest ICRC as well!
Other than that, if he's the religious sort, his church may need volunteers for VBS (I know Union does), but that's normally just a week, and I suppose most churches would prefer volunteers from their own congregations.
Any organization that runs summer camps "may" need counselors ... Mad Science, the gymnastics facilities around, theaters, karate, music, etc. Think back to what camps he has enjoyed in the past and see if they need assistance.
The job idea is great, too, but few weeks of camps may work out more with your family's summer schedule if you have any travel plans. (Some may even pay.) I'm drawing a blank on any other ideas. Maybe the zoo or EdVenture or the State Museum? (Can you tell I'm a parent of a younger kid, lol?)

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM

12,765 posts, read 18,581,513 times
Teach adults to read at Richland Library.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,108,188 times
Check with your church. There is always something to do there. My kids offer a lot of time to the church. Their school requires 80 hours each school year in community volunteer hours. They use it at our church. And they have no problem getting the 80 hours. Some examples are working on the grounds, helping with the day care, making visits to nursing homes and the homebound. Helping the elderly members with shopping or chores around their homes.......The list is really endless.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 AM

235 posts, read 401,637 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did check with Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission, and they hooked us up with a volunteer opportunity for the summer at Saluda Shoals Park! I can think of worse places to spend my summer mornings, for sure...
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area