Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM

235 posts, read 405,633 times

Advertisements

One of my good friends has a son who will be attending the medical school here in Columbia starting in August. I attended the school back in the 1980s and lived in a rather rundown apartment on Byron Road that served my needs. Since the whole East Columbia area has exploded in growth over the last decade or two, I have no idea where the good places are to rent at this time. I would very much appreciate any recommendations about decent places for my friend's son to live, with considerations to safety, relative newness and proximity to the med school campus. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM

611 posts, read 921,124 times
I know a lot of med school folks live in the apartment complexes on Gills Creek Parkway, between Rosewood and Garners Ferry.

My brother in law lives in one of those complexes (I think it's Hampton Greene) and says it's great...very quiet, but close to everything.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. This looks like a promising area. Others please weigh in!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM

I only got one reply, so maybe I need to rephrase the question: Can anyone recommend decent rental apartments in East Columbia near the VA Hospital? It's for a medical student who will be starting this August. Thank you!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 AM

36 posts, read 45,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I only got one reply, so maybe I need to rephrase the question: Can anyone recommend decent rental apartments in East Columbia near the VA Hospital? It's for a medical student who will be starting this August. Thank you!
Yes, Wellington Farms is a very nice one off Garners Ferry right across the interstate from the VA. I would probably live at Wellington Farms if I was employed in Columbia.
Another one nearby is called Huntington Place. They only have 2 or 3 bedroom apartments at this one. I think both of these have a lot of medical students living there.

There are some newish ones down Garners Ferry a little ways called Deer Meadow Village. I stayed in apartments like this in another town and they are pretty nice.

The Hampton ones that were mentioned by somebody else are pretty old and I would go with one of the 3 that I mentioned over those.

You could also contact USC and they could get you information on rental houses. I think the university even has a website set up with rental advertisements.

I wouldn't be surprised if houses are rented out from time to time in a nice established neighborhood called the Hamptons right behind the VA and med school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area