Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
I think it will do great lunch time business but then taper off at night big time. Longhorn is a bigger meal and that makes it more of a destination at night. I like that Longhorn b/c parking and getting seated isn't as big a problem / time thing as the other ones.
I often have to park as far away as Park on the other side of Lady when we eat at Longhorn. I'm not sure why Chipotle got the special treatment when there are parking spaces on Wayne. Anyway, I think it will do quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM

166 posts, read 190,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It was packed to the gills today at about 1:12.
all restaurants thrive after first opening. it is going to fail, only if it b/c it doesn't have x number of trees in the parking lot. LOL

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM

166 posts, read 190,195 times
Quote:
I often have to park as far away as Park on the other side of Lady when we eat at Longhorn. I'm not sure why Chipotle got the special treatment when there are parking spaces on Wayne. Anyway, I think it will do quite well.
well I tend to go after the suppertime rush so some of the parking has opened up I guess, which wouldn't be the case at the one off Two Notch.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
all restaurants thrive after first opening. it is going to fail, only if it b/c it doesn't have x number of trees in the parking lot. LOL
While there probably is a segment of the population who stay away from businesses over such issues, I think they'll be okay. People who think trees are a dumb topic will make up the difference.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
ok, do you know if it is hard to resale your house in those neighborhoods? My bro is concerned about that b/c the schools are not that great according to the scores, at least at the elementary and middle school level. I probably prefer that area vs Lexington where he is also looking b/c better traffic flow.

Old Woodlands.. shouldnt be a problem. What I have notice some of the housing stock may not be highly desirable (trendy) as other areas "intown".. not saying that its "crappy" but some are dated. Many folks dont like ranch houses and large yards..so as the older families die off or move younger families may not be drawn to the area.. If I am a young couple and can afford Old Woodlands.. I might as well move to Rosewood and be closer to the action may be one example of the rationale or simply move to a tract subdivision with all the bells and whistles in NE or Lower Richland. Additionall,y I believe most (not all) of the homes in there were built in the 60s and 70s? If they havent upgraded since then.. it may drag on the values and desirability of the area. Many retiring Baby Boomers moving into the City are also looking to downsize and may not want a sprawling rancher (though some may like that is on one level) and large yard to maintain. All of that being said.. I think the home, depending on condition, lot size, finishes, can and will still sell. As far as schools.. I though that area was in the Dreher Zone.. which is one if not the best zone in Richland 1..But, if you are comparing Richland 1 to a zone in Lexington not sure how it stacks up.

Hampton Park (I believe is the same as Cedar Terrace?) may appeal to younger buyers looking to move into an up and coming neighborhood.. It still a little shabby chic with smaller bungalos but again it has a nice park in the middle of the neighborhood which should appeal to young families.

So I think that both areas.. have promise.. but are often overlooked.. but that is indicative of SE Columbia as a whole compared to other areas of the City/Region thus keeping it one of the areas best kept secrets

Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think that when the Vista was first being revitalized, the emphasis was more on aesthetic improvements of Gervais and surrounding areas and finding new uses for the historic buildings, with less of an emphasis on walkability. This probably accounts for the lack of wide sidewalks and planters that give more of a "stroll district" vibe, as well as for the generous amounts of parking in the area. It would be nice to see a comprehensive plan that addresses these issues as opposed to doing things piecemeal.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that when the Vista was first being revitalized, the emphasis was more on aesthetic improvements of Gervais and surrounding areas and finding new uses for the historic buildings, with less of an emphasis on walkability. This probably accounts for the lack of wide sidewalks and planters that give more of a "stroll district" vibe, as well as for the generous amounts of parking in the area. It would be nice to see a comprehensive plan that addresses these issues as opposed to doing things piecemeal.
As I've always understood it, the feds have a lot of say in traffic flow on US 1. When I compare the sidewalks along Gervais to sidewalks used heavily by tourists in cities that make their living largely off of tourists, I don't see them as being especially narrow.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
As I've always understood it, the feds have a lot of say in traffic flow on US 1. When I compare the sidewalks along Gervais to sidewalks used heavily by tourists in cities that make their living largely off of tourists, I don't see them as being especially narrow.
I'm not saying the sidewalks are narrow, but they are pretty standard. With Gervais being the major thoroughfare that it is with little in the way of traffic-calming features, standard sidewalks don't do a lot to encourage pedestrian activity, particularly in the absence of parallel street parking along the length of the street which helps serve as a barrier between traffic and pedestrians.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not saying the sidewalks are narrow, but they are pretty standard. With Gervais being the major thoroughfare that it is with little in the way of traffic-calming features, standard sidewalks don't do a lot to encourage pedestrian activity, particularly in the absence of parallel street parking along the length of the street which helps serve as a barrier between traffic and pedestrians.
When I drive down Gervais, the beauty of the trees and the charm of the architecture slow me down. And the new planted bump-outs are an added calming feature. I don't know if you are necessarily saying Gervais Street doesn't have parallel street parking, but most of it does from Assembly to the railroad overpass. Since they've installed the bump-outs, there are no more than two lanes of traffic each way, even at intersections. They haven't done it at Huger Street, but I would think that will happen when the penny sales tax transforms the area bounded by Huger, Gervais and Blossom.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 06-21-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:

Thats what I have heard.. Any US Highway is under the jurisdiction of SCDOT.. if there are to be any changes in its classifiction (which I imagine is based on traffic flow/counts) they have to approve it.. The alternative is the City can petition to take over the street which would require them to maitain it.. which would of course cost the local taxpayers more to maintain. I agee with you that they are doing all they can to slow traffic down and to make the pedestrian experience more pleasant with bump outs, street trees and on street parking barriers A few more bump outs like in front of Wet Willies/Jillians would make that connection a little easier. Pedestrian activity will likely increase with the Hyatt opening up...

I am not sure if the City has or is proposing to take over Assembly as part of the Greenway or if they are just working it through SCDOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area