Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

258 posts, read 468,331 times

Advertisements

"I think Clemson's team last year would beat that USC team 7 out of 10 times if they played 10 times. Just no way your defense could stop them mulitiple games."

We've stopped them 2 games in a row, quite easily I might add. Clemson just doesn't have the lines of scrimmage to compete week in and week out in the SEC. Chad Morris and Tahj are gone after this year too which spells big trouble for Clemson. Most USC fans will hate to see those two leave. I forget why we're talking about sports on a Citydata site? Perhaps we should move this conversation to the websites below:

Gamecockcentral.com
tigernet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
"I think Clemson's team last year would beat that USC team 7 out of 10 times if they played 10 times. Just no way your defense could stop them mulitiple games."

We've stopped them 2 games in a row, quite easily I might add. Clemson just doesn't have the lines of scrimmage to compete week in and week out in the SEC. Chad Morris and Tahj are gone after this year too which spells big trouble for Clemson. Most USC fans will hate to see those two leave. I forget why we're talking about sports on a Citydata site? Perhaps we should move this conversation to the websites below:

Gamecockcentral.com
tigernet.com
Sorry, my fault for hijacking the thread. But really, this thread deserved to be hijacked. He just leaves those hanging curveballs right over the plate.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM

425 posts, read 632,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
I have no problem admitting that clemson flat outplayed LSU in that game. But you have to remember a few things here for perspective's sake:

- Even with the statistical dominance clemson had throughout the game, it took a vintage Les Miles brain freeze to save you in the end. He elected to throw the ball, driving, with the lead and less than 2 minutes to play.
- Not whining or anything here, but LSU at night is probably the toughest road game in the country. Would clemson have gone into Baton Rouge and done any better than we did? Dunno.
- LSU wore down towards the end of the regular season, giving up 35 at home to Ole Miss and barely scraping by a lousy Arkansas team.

So, UGA and clemson were our "ownly" signature wins last year, huh? I'd also add Michigan in the bowl game to that list...we didn't play the best game of the year by any stretch, but we found a way at the end.

Along that same line of thinking, I guess the LSU win would be clemson's "ownly" signature win from 2012?
Mile's decision to pass actually was good coaching, the kids just didn't execute it. The WR was wide open if i remember correctly. Clemson was playing them for the run, you have to, it is LSU.

You can't say LSU gave it to Clemson b/c Boyd had to make a perfect thrown on 4th and long and Hopkins had to catch it in traffic. that is as clutch a pass as you will see in college football.

All I am saying is USC's offense is stagnant at times. You guys should have lost to Wofford or whatever team it was two weeks before and they screwed up at the end and gave it to you. I think USC was much more vulnerable to an upset last year than Clemson. You take Clowney and that other NFL player off the defense and replace with more typical USC talent and Clemson would have had a field day on that defense. clemson just doesn't have the hosses up front to block clowney all game, they did ok in first half but wore down.

Clemson is more of a passing team than a running team right now so some nights it isn't going to be working for us, especially against a good defense. But i'd rather watch a finesse/speed team all year than a boring team like USC. that starting qb is painful to watch most of the time. It seems like he gets lucky on his throws.

i just don't think the SEC is that good, it has programs that compete for titles almost every year and then a bunch that are worse than your average ACC team, like Kentucky. Tenn has fallen off since 2003 or so, Auburn has been horrible last 2 years, UGA hasn't been a legit title contender. Florida was better but not close to where it was during the tebow years.

The ACC has dropped off a bit but when Miami, Va Tech, G Tech, FSU all have decent squads along with Clemson there isn't much difference b/t SEC and ACC except the top two teams in the SEC will have better shot at title game partly b/c of SEC bias. For awhile there, even BC and Wake and Maryland were tough games.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,782 times
Agreed that the SEC is pretty top-heavy these days. But the ACC is a joke in football right now.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Mile's decision to pass actually was good coaching, the kids just didn't execute it. The WR was wide open if i remember correctly. Clemson was playing them for the run, you have to, it is LSU.

You can't say LSU gave it to Clemson b/c Boyd had to make a perfect thrown on 4th and long and Hopkins had to catch it in traffic. that is as clutch a pass as you will see in college football.

All I am saying is USC's offense is stagnant at times. You guys should have lost to Wofford or whatever team it was two weeks before and they screwed up at the end and gave it to you. I think USC was much more vulnerable to an upset last year than Clemson. You take Clowney and that other NFL player off the defense and replace with more typical USC talent and Clemson would have had a field day on that defense. clemson just doesn't have the hosses up front to block clowney all game, they did ok in first half but wore down.

Clemson is more of a passing team than a running team right now so some nights it isn't going to be working for us, especially against a good defense. But i'd rather watch a finesse/speed team all year than a boring team like USC. that starting qb is painful to watch most of the time. It seems like he gets lucky on his throws.

i just don't think the SEC is that good, it has programs that compete for titles almost every year and then a bunch that are worse than your average ACC team, like Kentucky. Tenn has fallen off since 2003 or so, Auburn has been horrible last 2 years, UGA hasn't been a legit title contender. Florida was better but not close to where it was during the tebow years.

The ACC has dropped off a bit but when Miami, Va Tech, G Tech, FSU all have decent squads along with Clemson there isn't much difference b/t SEC and ACC except the top two teams in the SEC will have better shot at title game partly b/c of SEC bias. For awhile there, even BC and Wake and Maryland were tough games.
Ifs and buts - four straight years of USC dominance says otherwise.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Ifs and buts - four straight years of USC dominance says otherwise.
lol, well when Spurrier retires, which I'd say will be this year or the next, you guys won't be talking much anymore, you will go back to maybe 6 wins a season with plenty of 1 win seasons. I think Bowden went 7-2 against USC and part of that was with your 2nd best coach ever. LOL

Spurrier is a great coach, i don't think lot of people appreciate him b/c he comes across as smug but he knows what he is doing. Dabo not proven on that front, but we had the talent to beat you last year and i think they beat themselves. it wasn't that long ago since 63-17 and we will be returning to that kind of result being the norm soon enough.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM

258 posts, read 468,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
lol, well when Spurrier retires, which I'd say will be this year or the next, you guys won't be talking much anymore, you will go back to maybe 6 wins a season with plenty of 1 win seasons. I think Bowden went 7-2 against USC and part of that was with your 2nd best coach ever. LOL

Spurrier is a great coach, i don't think lot of people appreciate him b/c he comes across as smug but he knows what he is doing. Dabo not proven on that front, but we had the talent to beat you last year and i think they beat themselves. it wasn't that long ago since 63-17 and we will be returning to that kind of result being the norm soon enough.
Not with our SEC money and new facilities. Clemson just can't compete financially, USC out earns and out spends Clemson by $20 million a year.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
Not with our SEC money and new facilities. Clemson just can't compete financially, USC out earns and out spends Clemson by $20 million a year.
lol. dude what has SC ever won? You guys don't even win your division but you act like you are world beats cuz you beat Clemson 4 years in a row. Once Clowney graduates, your ride is likely over. I don't think you are going to be that good this year. Clemson ain't been as bad as you guys were in the late 90's, early 2000's. That is your normal state.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
November 30, 2013.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
November 30, 2013.
Gamecocks are actually well known for having the most loyal fans despite not a whole lot of success. they probably packed out their stadium even when they were winless or 1 win.

When I see them beat Florida, LSU, Georgia and another good SEC team in one season along with Clemson, i'll get on the bandwagon. They get pretty hyped now the past few seasons but then they don't do much other than 1 win over a better program and 1 win over an evenly matched team like Arksansas.

I think they kind of missed their window b/c Tenn might be on the rise again, and Florida and UGA were a bit down, and they still were unable to win that division except maybe 1 year in their 4 year run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area