U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM

425 posts, read 509,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
My last two trips I spent a lot of time in downtown Charleston. He lives off of Smith street. One night for a few hours he drove me around Charleston, up through North Charleston and stopped a few times on the east part, where all the loading docks for the ships are. I can't remember the name of this one street in N. Charleston but we stopped by this very creepy building that looked to be some high-security government building. Barb wire fenced around it and all. I kept telling my friend that they should film a post-apocalyptic movie in North Charleston since it so well fits the mold of being that kindove grungy, ghetto and dilapidated looking area. Looking at google maps, we didn't venture out on Dorchester road or on that side of town.

Bottom line, I'd be the guy living in Charleston, in the city, than the guy living in the suburbs. I guess that's what it boils down to lol
that's cool but you'd be living like a college kid to live in Charleston unless you are loaded. there really isn't much housing in downtown geared for middle class people.

the part of N. Charleston you are talking about is the part nobody goes to and not what anybody means when they talk about n. charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,423,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
that's cool but you'd be living like a college kid to live in Charleston unless you are loaded. there really isn't much housing in downtown geared for middle class people.

the part of N. Charleston you are talking about is the part nobody goes to and not what anybody means when they talk about n. charleston.
I can pretty much agree with that. Well put.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,638,254 times
This notion is absolutely absurd. Cities do not need downtown football stadiums to create a thriving downtown area. I see no reason to say Columbia needs "something new and big" to change the course of its downtown development. Furthermore, to abandon a sufficiently functional stadium and build a brand new stadium a few miles (or less) away would not make sense financially, unless the current stadium is in need of significant upgrades.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This notion is absolutely absurd. Cities do not need downtown football stadiums to create a thriving downtown area. I see no reason to say Columbia needs "something new and big" to change the course of its downtown development. Furthermore, to abandon a sufficiently functional stadium and build a brand new stadium a few miles (or less) away would not make sense financially, unless the current stadium is in need of significant upgrades.

Some might say that I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one.

When was the USC stadium built, it is going to have to be replaced at some point I would imagine. It looks pretty old.

Maybe COlubmia/USC could get some of the Stimulus money for a new stadium, the construction of a new stadium near downtown would create thousands of jobs.

I don't think the downtown is anywhere near where it is today without USC. Most of the housing down there serves as off campus housing for the students.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of who shops and eats in the Vista and five points. Wouldnt be surprised if it is over 50% USC students. Maybe pushing 75%.

Here is an interesting persepctive from a Florida Gators fan who attended a USC game, on Yelp:

I'll try and be objective here as I was visiting Williams-Brice Stadium as a member of the opposition Florida Gators. Out of all the college stadiums I have been to, this one by far was the most bland and overall lacking in a sense of the college atmosphere. All the other stadiums are surrounded by beautiful backdrops of historic campuses, while this stadium seems to have been dropped in the middle of an industrial park. Maybe I would have felt a bit better about the experience if a drunk college student showed some passion for a school and yelled at me while walking through the tailgate area in my Tebow jersey, but for the most part the experience was pretty bland once again. I love SEC football and in no way do I mean to berate the body of South Carolina, but this was by far my least favorite away game experience and not because we lost. Now LSU.... that was a good time.

Last edited by ClemsonTiger45; 06-27-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM

258 posts, read 379,493 times
Quote:
Some might say that I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one.

When was the USC stadium built, it is going to have to be replaced at some point I would imagine. It looks pretty old.

Maybe COlubmia/USC could get some of the Stimulus money for a new stadium, the construction of a new stadium near downtown would create thousands of jobs.

I don't think the downtown is anywhere near where it is today without USC. Most of the housing down there serves as off campus housing for the students.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of who shops and eats in the Vista and five points. Wouldnt be surprised if it is over 50% USC students. Maybe pushing 75%.

Here is an interesting persepctive from a Florida Gators fan who attended a USC game, on Yelp:

I'll try and be objective here as I was visiting Williams-Brice Stadium as a member of the opposition Florida Gators. Out of all the college stadiums I have been to, this one by far was the most bland and overall lacking in a sense of the college atmosphere. All the other stadiums are surrounded by beautiful backdrops of historic campuses, while this stadium seems to have been dropped in the middle of an industrial park. Maybe I would have felt a bit better about the experience if a drunk college student showed some passion for a school and yelled at me while walking through the tailgate area in my Tebow jersey, but for the most part the experience was pretty bland once again. I love SEC football and in no way do I mean to berate the body of South Carolina, but this was by far my least favorite away game experience and not because we lost. Now LSU.... that was a good time.

They're spending or have spent about $50 million dollars on improvements around the stadium. It's not going anywhere. It would be like me saying "when is Clemson going to get a bunch of bars and restaurants so they can have the nightlife like 5 points, The Vista, or downtown Athens?" The answer to that is obviously never. Here's another review on Yelp.....

"80 thousand plus fans rocking the stadium to Sandstorm! Can you say loud? This needs to be experienced to be believed! I don't think many stadiums are as alive and loud!

Tailgating is the name of the game in the South- Half the fun is walking to the stadium through the throngs of tailgating party-goers. Take your time before the game, grab a cool beverage, and wade through the revelry...You won't be disappointed!"

Most Carolina fans(including me) love the atmosphere by the stadium and wouldn't trade it for the world. The cockabooses, the new farmers market, the new fairgrounds, the gameday condos, the abundance of parking, the flow of traffic all make it a great place to see a football game IMHO.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,151,117 times
Quote:
I could care less where the football stadium is cuz I never been to usc game and I never will.

Clemson logic.

1. Never been to a game at the stadium.

2. Starts a thread suggesting the stadium needs to be demolished and rebuilt.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM

I like new big projects. I think bigger than most. I am a visionary.

I went to USC for one semester so techically I am a Gamecock. They got some money from me, and my taxes in SC also went to fund the school. I don't see what it hurts for me to say what I'd like to see for the school.

Baton Rouge is really Columbia's sister city in terms of being similar. Their football atmosphere is off the hook, what is wrong with wanting that for USC.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
They're spending or have spent about $50 million dollars on improvements around the stadium. It's not going anywhere. It would be like me saying "when is Clemson going to get a bunch of bars and restaurants so they can have the nightlife like 5 points, The Vista, or downtown Athens?" The answer to that is obviously never. Here's another review on Yelp.....

"80 thousand plus fans rocking the stadium to Sandstorm! Can you say loud? This needs to be experienced to be believed! I don't think many stadiums are as alive and loud!

Tailgating is the name of the game in the South- Half the fun is walking to the stadium through the throngs of tailgating party-goers. Take your time before the game, grab a cool beverage, and wade through the revelry...You won't be disappointed!"

Most Carolina fans(including me) love the atmosphere by the stadium and wouldn't trade it for the world. The cockabooses, the new farmers market, the new fairgrounds, the gameday condos, the abundance of parking, the flow of traffic all make it a great place to see a football game IMHO.
Well I think Tigertown downtown actually more fun than Columbia's, when school is in session and pre and post football games esepcially. This includes the Esso Club and stuff down that way.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM

780 posts, read 1,201,149 times
You might want to consider doing a little research and going to a USC game one of these days (maybe when clemson comes to town for their annual beatdown this November). The atmosphere really is pretty cool, waaaaaaaaay nicer than when I was a student there back in the late 90's.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
You might want to consider doing a little research and going to a USC game one of these days (maybe when clemson comes to town for their annual beatdown this November). The atmosphere really is pretty cool, waaaaaaaaay nicer than when I was a student there back in the late 90's.
lol, it's funny how gamecocks have forgotten the fact Clemson has dominated the rivalry. It never even felt like one till the last 4 years. It took Spurrier several years to have any success despite all the free hype he gets from ESPN. I can't remember Clemson ever being as bad as USC was in the late 90s. 1 win seasons and stuff. LOL

Once SPurrier leaves, the situation is going to get dire again. This is USC's golden age. I don't think they are going to have a good team this year though.

If Clemson moved to SEC we would be competing for titles every year. It's only the fact SEC gets a lot of free buzz from ESPN and it has some of the top football schools like Alabama LSU and Florida that has Spurrier able to get some decent talent. Gamecocks always say if they were in ACC they would be top team but they would have Duke type of talent if they were in the ACC. ACC just seen as a basketball conference by the players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or