Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM

425 posts, read 632,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
A bunch of clemson's wins came in the 1920's and 1930's, too.

If that don't grab you, how about this...in the last 70 years, clemson has a 40-30 lead. That's 57%. Not dominating. Just marketing spin.
What is the record in the last 40, 30 years? When football as we know it started to be played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
How many national titles does USC have. Has SC ever won the SEC even once?
Stay with me here. clemson has not dominated the series. Marketing spin.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
What is the record in the last 40, 30 years? When football as we know it started to be played.
The record in the last 4 years is 4-0.

Frank Howard had a losing record to the Gamecocks.

See how you can play this any way you want to?

60-40 is not domination.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The record in the last 4 years is 4-0.

Frank Howard had a losing record to the Gamecocks.

See how you can play this any way you want to?

60-40 is not domination.
CLemson is clearly the better program based on head to head matchups and overal results. You've beneifited from two high profile coaches in a row but I think once you guys have to hire somebody who hasn't coached at Florida or ND, you going to get similar results pre-Spurrier. You really didn't do much with Spurrier until the last 3 years and since no SEC title and you only made it to the SEC title game 1 year and AUburn crushed you. Then you got whipped by FSU a month later in your bowl game. You guys always act like you would own the ACC if you were in it but FSU, Va Tech, Miami and several other teams would beat you most years.

If I'm not mistaken, Bowden was 7-2 against USC and part of that included the Lou HOtlz era. So the coach vs coach thing will go against you in the end.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
So the coach vs coach thing will go against you in the end.
Hardly. Dabo is 1-4 against Spurrier.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
CLemson is clearly the better program based on head to head matchups and overal results.
Historically, yes. Today, not so much.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Hardly. Dabo is 1-4 against Spurrier.
yeah but a lot of that is Clemson was at its low point (coach fired midway through season) while USC was at its highest point ever. Just kind of luck. I would say only two the past 4 seasons USC has been a better team than Clemson. Last year, and the first year in your run, the teams were even and I think Clemson was better overall. I think most teams out there would have much rather gone up against your stagnant offense than Clemson's offense. USC is really just more of a matchup problem for Clemson in recent years, with Clowney, than a better team. You guys got to squeak out most of your wins, Clemson's margin of victory is much higher.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
yeah but a lot of that is Clemson was at its low point (coach fired midway through season) while USC was at its highest point ever. Just kind of luck. I would say only two the past 4 seasons USC has been a better team than Clemson. Last year, and the first year in your run, the teams were even and I think Clemson was better overall. I think most teams out there would have much rather gone up against your stagnant offense than Clemson's offense. USC is really just more of a matchup problem for Clemson in recent years, with Clowney, than a better team. You guys got to squeak out most of your wins, Clemson's margin of victory is much higher.
Dabo beat USC on his first try, when clemson was at its "low point."

And actually, IMO in 2009, clemson was miles ahead of USC. That one surprised me.

In 2010, I felt very confident we were going to win big, and we did.

2011 I thought we were pretty evenly matched going into the game, figured USC would win by a TD give or take.

2012 also came as a bit of a shock. Even with clemson's high-flying offense, I thought we'd keep it close, even with our QB issues, wasn't sure we'd pull out the win though.

clemson has had some excellent teams the last 4 years (save for 2010), the best since the Ford era IMO. That USC has managed to pull off this streak against this quality of a team says a lot about USC more than just "lucking into it." Defense and line play, the very things that did allow clemson to dominate during stretches in the 1980's and early 2000's (okay, okay, I'll give that you did dominate those periods during the rivalry...), have been the key for us.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 PM

I'm tired. Good night.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Dabo beat USC on his first try, when clemson was at its "low point."

And actually, IMO in 2009, clemson was miles ahead of USC. That one surprised me.

In 2010, I felt very confident we were going to win big, and we did.

2011 I thought we were pretty evenly matched going into the game, figured USC would win by a TD give or take.

2012 also came as a bit of a shock. Even with clemson's high-flying offense, I thought we'd keep it close, even with our QB issues, wasn't sure we'd pull out the win though.

clemson has had some excellent teams the last 4 years (save for 2010), the best since the Ford era IMO. That USC has managed to pull off this streak against this quality of a team says a lot about USC more than just "lucking into it." Defense and line play, the very things that did allow clemson to dominate during stretches in the 1980's and early 2000's (okay, okay, I'll give that you did dominate those periods during the rivalry...), have been the key for us.
well you guys got lucky last year and I think Clemson prepared for the running QB and got the passing one who is more talented in my view. That guy was converting a lot of 3rd and longs, meaning our really bad defense was forcing you into 3rd and longs, and your qb was able to make throws. Reality is you are going to lose most games like that b/c he isn't talented enoughh to do that most games. So you won but even despite dominating TOP, you only won by 10.

All Clemson has to do is get the defense fixed, mainly the secondary, but also get little more pressure on the QB, and they can beat USC b/c you guys had an average, really below average offense last year. You don't have to score tha many points on LSU and FLorida, esepcially with a good defense liks SC, yet you didn't look very good in either of those games. Those good dfenses take away Conor's desire to run and make him throw and when you do that, SC isn't going to move the ball consistently.

I do think if Conor had started this year, Clemson would have won by at least two touchdowns. He just looked horrible in your other two touch road tests. He's a lot better passer at home.

Clemson was 12-2 last season. Even great teams are going to lose once or twice. WIth a sorry defense like that, to go 12-2 is a big accomplishment. I can live with SC being our worse loss of the season but it isn't like you don't have some NFL type talent like Clowney who isn't your typical SC player. It's not the end of the world we lost to SC 4 times, it just gets hyped up b/c of the rivalry. We've beaten NC State like 7 out of the last 8. that is a big rivalry. You guys lost 3 out of last 4 to Arkansas which seems to negate the Clemson wins as kind of a fluke b/c Arkansas really isn't much better program than SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area