Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
nc state had problems, with protecting the QB and getting burned on defense. I am just saying most years ACC schools are loaded with skill/speed at the skilled positions.

Why the top SEC programs d ominate is they are so much bigger up front on both sides of the ball and that makes up for their lack of skill, often at the QB position. Alabama just runs over people behind a wall of hosses. ACC teams can actuallyhave more talent at the sport itself esepcially in passing game but Alabama just bigger and there are only so many kids that big.
Thank you. You pretty much summed up why USC beat clemson again last year (and why clemson would not, as you claim, beat them 7 out of 10 times), and why I think USC will win the rivalry game again this year.

When you think about it, it's kind of the opposite of how things were between these 2 teams in the 80's and most of the 90's. Back then, USC had the high-flying offense, while clemson had the big, physical linemen and stout defense. Guess who won more often? Now, we've switched places. And guess who's winning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 PM

425 posts, read 632,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Thank you. You pretty much summed up why USC beat clemson again last year (and why clemson would not, as you claim, beat them 7 out of 10 times), and why I think USC will win the rivalry game again this year.
Clemson outplayed USC in the first half. You only got lucky in the 2nd half when the guy was converting on several 3rd on longs including one big run play. USC isn't going to convert on 3rd and long most of the time b/c just not that great on offense.

One game is one game. Any team can win one game, history proven that over and over. That is why they do a series in NBA and NHL and MLB.

The fact it is one game helps make it more exciting and dramatic but still one game. I think the two teams were even last year, Clemson much better on offense, SC much better on defense.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Clemson outplayed USC in the first half. You only got lucky in the 2nd half when the guy was converting on several 3rd on longs including one big run play. USC isn't going to convert on 3rd and long most of the time b/c just not that great on offense.

One game is one game. Any team can win one game, history proven that over and over. That is why they do a series in NBA and NHL and MLB.

The fact it is one game helps make it more exciting and dramatic but still one game. I think the two teams were even last year, Clemson much better on offense, SC much better on defense.
Agreed on your first point. Wrong again on your second point, our defense made the in-game adjustments and yours didn't.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:

When you think about it, it's kind of the opposite of how things were between these 2 teams in the 80's and most of the 90's. Back then, USC had the high-flying offense, while clemson had the big, physical linemen and stout defense. Guess who won more often? Now, we've switched places. And guess who's winning?
You only really have Clowney and that other guy who graduated. maybe one other stud. taylor or something. other than that it is pretty mediocre defense.

If you watch that clemson game last year in 2nd half, they simply could not contain Clowney on blitzs, he was all up in Boyd's grill. really that simple, it wasn't b/c you guys are awesome on offense, or even awesome aross the board on defense. Y ou just got lucky to land a NFL talent like that. He is going to dominate in the NFL so yeah he is going to dominae Clemson. LOL

Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You only really have Clowney and that other guy who graduated. maybe one other stud. taylor or something. other than that it is pretty mediocre defense.
So our defense is better than clemson's, but still only mediocre? Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So our defense is better than clemson's, but still only mediocre? Is that what you're saying?
I'm saying that 1 guy Clowney is an impact player, your defense would be nothing without him, at least as far as Clemson goes. It was Clowney living rent free in Boyd's mind last two years that made the difference. Boyd was scared of Clowney. who wouldn't be. he helped conceal the fact SC's secondary could be had.

reality is you gamecocks told us we had not shot at beating LSU and then we did and we actually out-physicaled them and all we ever hear is how much more physical SEC football is. LSU players were falling down and crapping up and screaming for mommy at the end of that game, i swear two of the players were crying. Looked like a war zone. they couldn't handle our pace and fitness.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that 1 guy Clowney is an impact player, your defense would be nothing without him, at least as far as Clemson goes. It was Clowney living rent free in Boyd's mind last two years that made the difference. Boyd was scared of Clowney. who wouldn't be.

reality is you gamecocks told us we had not shot at beating LSU and then we did and we actually out-physicaled them and all we ever hear is how much more physical SEC football is. LSU players were falling down and crapping up and screaming for mommy at the end of that game, i swear two of the players were crying. Looked like a war zone. they couldn't handle our pace and fitness.
Okay. Well, I could just as easily say that your offense wouldn't be much without Boyd, Hopkins, Watkins, and Ellington. But you have em (or had, in the case of Hopkins), and you're better because of them. Our D is definitely better because of Clowney, and yes, he makes a difference. He certainly has against your guys the last couple of years, and I look for him to again this time around.

And count me as one Gamecock who actually thought you had a shot at beating LSU. You outplayed them and almost lost, but you found a way to win (thank you, Les Miles). A win over UGA would go a long way toward giving clemson a lot of national cred, and I think you have a good chance to beat them.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Okay. Well, I could just as easily say that your offense wouldn't be much without Boyd, Hopkins, Watkins, and Ellington. But you have em (or had, in the case of Hopkins), and you're better because of them. Our D is definitely better because of Clowney, and yes, he makes a difference. He certainly has against your guys the last couple of years, and I look for him to again this time around.

And count me as one Gamecock who actually thought you had a shot at beating LSU. You outplayed them and almost lost, but you found a way to win (thank you, Les Miles). A win over UGA would go a long way toward giving clemson a lot of national cred, and I think you have a good chance to beat them.
lol, Clemson has more cred than USC dude. that was the worse big school program of the 90's and early 2000's. We don't ever get that bad. If we were in SEC and got the free buzz SEC gets , we would be in title hunt every year. we can't control that. We shouldn't have let wake, duke, bc into our conference, maybe even maryland. i think that is what hurts us with the recruits. Spurrier's program finally got going when Bowden's firing year happened and then first years with a coach with no head coach experience. USC just happened to be best ever when Clemson was more down than normal and USC took advantage but there isn't any difference b/t the two schools, espeically last year.

LSU did outplay Clemson most of the game but that is the thing with our offense, if it is clicking it is hard to stop it all game. when they got tired, they got beat. that is the point of the offense. to wear down defenses with tons of plays. that's why nick saban doesn't like spread offenses.

LSU is across the board more talented on defense than USC, USC just got the best player on defense. He really was the Heisman last year I think if they looked at it at pure skill/impact standpoint. You guys will be hating life when he is gone cuz he makes defense so much easier.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
lol, Clemson has more cred than USC dude. that was the worse big school program of the 90's and early 2000's. We don't ever get that bad. If we were in SEC and got the free buzz SEC gets , we would be in title hunt every year. we can't control that. We shouldn't have let wake, duke, bc into our conference, maybe even maryland. i think that is what hurts us with the recruits.
Was trying to pay your team a compliment and give them some props, you have to admit that a win over UGA would be huge and would give them even more national respect than they current have.

Doubtful that many recruits nowadays care much what happened in the 1990's. Things were bad back then for sure (thank you, Brad Scott), however pretty much as long as current recruits have been old enough to pay attention, USC has been better and has won some pretty big games (and, thankfully, have held their own against the in-state rivals, which is more than they did for most of the 80's and 90's).

Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Was trying to pay your team a compliment and give them some props, you have to admit that a win over UGA would be huge and would give them even more national respect than they current have.

Doubtful that many recruits nowadays care much what happened in the 1990's. Things were bad back then for sure (thank you, Brad Scott), however pretty much as long as current recruits have been old enough to pay attention, USC has been better and has won some pretty big games (and, thankfully, have held their own against the in-state rivals, which is more than they did for most of the 80's and 90's).
i don't care about national respect. I think Clemson's team is well liked by football fans, win or lose, they put on decent show last year and most years. It's about the competition, competing, not winning every game. Every school loses, even uga and alabam, sometimes. I would say UGA is only slightly better than Clemson as a program and we probably been better than them overall in recent years.

SC has always taken the best high school recruits in the state, which is a big advantage, i think mostly b/c the black kids want to be in the big city vs small town far west part of the state, Clemson has always been better recruiting other states. Spurrier was able to get more good recruits from other states than the previous coaches but I think that will resume being a problem once he retires which I think will be this year if you guys are horrible as I predict. He's only stuck with it past few years b/c he got them pretty good and he wants to win a title and if he just win the SEC, he's got a good shot at the title game berth b/c of SEc bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area