U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM

425 posts, read 507,900 times

Advertisements

if Columbia really wants to get downtown going, USC needs to build a football stadium within walking distance of the Vista and campus or even 5 points if they could raze some housing over there. That's the one thing I never really liked about USC , the stadium was so far away compared to other schools like Clemson and UGA. It could be like a Clemson football game every weekend in downtown Columbia if the stadium was right there.

Boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM

6,621 posts, read 14,108,103 times
That's not going to happen and, even though I'm a huge Gamecock fan, I'd be deadset against razing a neighborhood to build a football stadium. WB is only a few blocks from south campus and a mile and a half - walking distance - from the Horseshoe. I can assure you we have no desire to be anything like Clemson.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

6,132 posts, read 9,324,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
if Columbia really wants to get downtown going, USC needs to build a football stadium within walking distance of the Vista and campus or even 5 points if they could raze some housing over there. That's the one thing I never really liked about USC , the stadium was so far away compared to other schools like Clemson and UGA. It could be like a Clemson football game every weekend in downtown Columbia if the stadium was right there.

Boom.

Whoooooa... you will generate some interesting responses to that statement... Abandon Willie B Stadium? It will never happen.. In fact the City is actually growing out to the Stadium with all the housing and tailgating facilities opening up around it. It used to be primarily a warehouse district, the Farmers Market, and the Fairgrounds... Many of the warehouses have been torn down for housing, the Farmers Mkt moved to Lexington County and I think its only a matter of time before the State sells the Fairgrounds and moves it out Shop Road or over to Lexington. A developer would pay top dollar to buy that property and turn it into a combination of retail, housing, and parking for thes stadium..

So the Mountain will not go to Muhammed.. but Muhammed will come to the Mountain

Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
That's not going to happen and, even though I'm a huge Gamecock fan, I'd be deadset against razing a neighborhood to build a football stadium. WB is only a few blocks from south campus and a mile and a half - walking distance - from the Horseshoe. I can assure you we have no desire to be anything like Clemson.
Not like Clemson, just like any major college who has their stadium on campus. I think they could have least but it near the Vista on the river not too far from campus. I can't see too many people hiking from campus through that industrial area to the stadium. that stadium just reminds me of my hometown stadium for my high school football team as well as the other 2 high schools in town, just a lot bigger.

I just think the football atmosphere at Clemson, UGA, UNC, va tech, etc is far superior to USC's b/c there you are hanging out in a parking lot in an industrial area. And you would have people crawling all over downtown prior and after the games, just would bring an unbelievable energy to the place and lead to more stuff. Is there even a Gamecock clothing store in the Vista?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM

9,604 posts, read 13,704,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Not like Clemson, just like any major college who has their stadium on campus. I think they could have least but it near the Vista on the river not too far from campus. I can't see too many people hiking from campus through that industrial area to the stadium. that stadium just reminds me of my hometown stadium for my high school football team as well as the other 2 high schools in town, just a lot bigger.

I just think the football atmosphere at Clemson, UGA, UNC, va tech, etc is far superior to USC's b/c there you are hanging out in a parking lot in an industrial area. And you would have people crawling all over downtown prior and after the games, just would bring an unbelievable energy to the place and lead to more stuff. Is there even a Gamecock clothing store in the Vista?
With all the green space they're creating around the stadium, it will soon be a huge extension of a huge downtown footprint. While many think of Columbia as a college town, it's as much a city unto itself, and this type of separation shows it. A town and gown partnership is great, but a college or university crowding a city out isn't.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
With all the green space they're creating around the stadium, it will soon be a huge extension of a huge downtown footprint. While many think of Columbia as a college town, it's as much a city unto itself, and this type of separation shows it. A town and gown partnership is great, but a college or university crowding a city out isn't.
well, I think you are wrong about this and many Columbians already consider downtown to be USC's version of Tiger Town. As a Clemson grad, I would not have a problem with a more festive football game atmosphere in downtown Columbia in the fall, I think that would be the bomb actually. the stadium , the cockroach, is too utilitarian and I don't tink it has added much of significance in that area. I never heard anybody say let's go over shop road to hang out. LOL

Are you saying U. of Tenn having the stadium downtown Knoxville has hurt their city? I think Columbia = Knoxville downtowns in a lot of ways although Knoxville probably has more character. the main difference is they feature their big university football stadium, it's not buried over in some industrial area on the side of town near the intersate like it is some kind of embarrassment.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM

29,530 posts, read 26,997,813 times
This is a horrible idea all the way around. Thank God it will never happen.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM

233 posts, read 236,620 times
No way will this happen....1, a new stadium would cost well north of $550m, 2. Carolina just spent over $30m for the new parking area, 3. The new $18m practice facilities start construction this fall, 4. Carolina just purchased buildings around WB which will be incorporated into the plaza around WB when finished in 2015. From a planning perspective, a stadium on the river would be interesting but, it is nowhere close to reality. Besides, Carolina has plans costing over $100m to upgrade the East Stands.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM

3,872 posts, read 5,318,067 times
I don't see why a Clemson Tiger from Florence is worrying about the Gamecock's stadium or Columbia's downtown.

Williams-Brice and the Gamecocks are doing just fine.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM

18m practice facilities. LOL it's all about enticing 17 year old kids to come to USC over other schools, isn't it. what a racket, wish I could figure out a way to tap into that university money. Big Education is the industry the government really should be regulating but reality is big education is in bed with politicians, that is what makes it so beautiful in terms of easy money for the participants.

I think my idea is the best idea that has been floated on here for getting the Capitol City booming. Columbia just doesn't have anything outside of the university and the zoo to attract people to downtown so you need to start featuring the college more. where would downtown be without the university, there would be really nothing in the vista and 5 points might not exist at all. yet some of you want to keep the city and the univerisyt separated? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or