Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I'm glad Morris wrote that article - it's definitely wonderful what the DBAP has done in a once-blighted part of Durham. Other mixed use developments like Winston-Salem's which is still building out (it hit a major bump in the road during the worst of the recession) should be touchstones of what Columbia should aim for.
Very true, and of course, the in-state example of Fluor Field in Greenville.

Quote:
Also bravo to the young lady who wrote this editorial. A large part of the reason why I didn't return to Columbia after finishing my Masters degree in Raleigh was that I felt that the Triangle was dynamic - local leaders were committed to bettering the area and making it a place where people *wanted* to live while Columbia felt static. Things like the streetscaping projects in Main St and Five Points were window dressing for a city that felt perfectly fine spinning its wheels and letting the rest of the world pass it by. I loved Columbia while I was growing up and was never one of those "As soon as I can, I'm getting out of this place" types - and there were quite a few of those that I went to school with. As a young professional though, I wanted to live in a city where, even if I have to pay a little more in taxes, there's a commitment to constantly do bigger and better things. Columbia just wasn't it and until municipal leaders realize that, no number of slogans and rebrandings, whether it be Famously Hot or A Capital Place to Be, will stop Columbia from losing appeal for its best and brightest.
From my perspective, it seems that Triangle leaders were pretty much forced to improve the state of things and make it a place where people actually wanted to be because people were moving there in droves after RTP became a catalyst for economic growth in the area. The jobs came first, and regional leaders pretty much acted in response to the growth. I think this is how it works for any city/region, and Columbia is no exception. But it's quite understandable for a young professional to prefer the Triangle, with all the knowledge-based jobs and amenities that come along with being a mid-major, rapidly-growing metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
The young lady who wrote the editorial is an example of young people who stay and create critical mass and opportunity in their home city and help it to grow organically and help it retain its uniqueness.

BTW, anyone can do it. I got an email from the mayor last night thanking me for my "constant input" and telling me it is "constructive."

Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
This proposed development has made the front page of Yahoo.com: Yahoo!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very true, and of course, the in-state example of Fluor Field in Greenville.

From my perspective, it seems that Triangle leaders were pretty much forced to improve the state of things and make it a place where people actually wanted to be because people were moving there in droves after RTP became a catalyst for economic growth in the area. The jobs came first, and regional leaders pretty much acted in response to the growth. I think this is how it works for any city/region, and Columbia is no exception. But it's quite understandable for a young professional to prefer the Triangle, with all the knowledge-based jobs and amenities that come along with being a mid-major, rapidly-growing metro area.

It also helps that RDU has a slew of colleges/universities there to attract young people.. though they had to be forward thinking and come up with creative ways to KEEP them once they graduate from college.. Well Paying Jobs helps along with having other activities for active lifestyles....

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This proposed development has made the front page of Yahoo.com: Yahoo!

Nearly 1,000 people commented on the article.. though it appears that most are concerned with Civil War History/Heritage as opposed to the talking about the development....

Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Nearly 1,000 people commented on the article.. though it appears that most are concerned with Civil War History/Heritage as opposed to the talking about the development....
If only the article provided more information... like how the existing site will be incorporated into the development and how the state used to own the land.

Most people are commenting thinking that it was owned by some greedy family that will bulldoze the whole site. Just click bait for Yahoo! as usual.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
City Council gave initial approval. The second reading could occur in a few weeks.

COLUMBIA, SC: Columbia council gives initial OK to building minor league baseball park | Local News | The State

Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
City Council gave initial approval. The second reading could occur in a few weeks.

COLUMBIA, SC: Columbia council gives initial OK to building minor league baseball park | Local News | The State
Even though I probably won't attend many, if any, games; this is a good thing for Columbia Common and downtown Columbia, in general. There is a lot of investment going on downtown right now.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Honestly those were the longest 5 hours of my life sitting in that City Hall chamber. But I am quite happy that the first part has gone through. And I hope this development spurs other ones across downtown.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

Woo hoo! 'Bout time. Was wondering when the next move was going to come on this. One concern though, I hope the deadline construction date doesn't negatively affect the potential this stadium could have. I don't want them to shortchange it just because of time constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area