U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 02:59 PM

232 posts, read 293,069 times

Advertisements

I am personally very excited about tonight's vote. Can't wait to take my family to the new ballpark, close to where I trained as a medical student on psychiatric patients. It is nice to see that whole area repurposed, finally. In my opinion this is a seminal moment in Columbia's future. People are finally deciding that it's time to take action instead of watching everyone else exceed us. Once it is passed, I'll be interested to know which specific retailers have expressed an interest to Mr. Hughes in bringing establishments there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The Palmetto Compress was mentioned in the article today in The State as a "fiasco" by a commentor...Does anybody have any specifics on the status of that project? Thought it was proceeding nicely in terms of the RFP and now the City is handing it over to a developer?
It wasn't a fiasco; in fact, it worked out great for the city and an historic building was saved.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,261,360 times
Second reading has been approved.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,974,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Second reading has been approved.
Yes! So happy for my hometown. Let the speculation begin - do we get the Sand Gnats or a Carolina League team?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM

232 posts, read 293,069 times
Great day for Columbia.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Yes! So happy for my hometown. Let the speculation begin - do we get the Sand Gnats or a Carolina League team?
Hardball 2 or 3 months ago said we will more than likely be getting the Sand Gnats.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,974,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Hardball 2 or 3 months ago said we will more than likely be getting the Sand Gnats.
If you go back a few pages in this thread, you'll see that they're still trying to make something happen with Savannah - ideally they'd like to own both Savannah and Columbia - in which case, Hardball would purchase a Carolina League team and relocate it to Columbia. This is the relevant article. For what it's worth, Winston-Salem was the team that was "on the verge of being sold and can't be moved." Their primary owner, Billy Prim, sold the majority of the team to its MLB affiliate, the Chicago White Sox. Prim will still retain a minority share. So that leaves three Carolina League teams up for sale, one of which is very likely Lynchburg.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,424,144 times
Exciting news. Can't wait for work to be started. Get those archaeologists outta there!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:21 AM

9,617 posts, read 13,752,578 times
The mayor decided not to push for an extra $2 million to landscape corridors to the historic district and the CBD. The extra money would have also created a new entrance for the Columbia Museum of Art, not that it screams for improvement as it is. Anyway, even though that money isn't included, those improvements must be on the radar screen. Linking Columbia Common (with its minor league baseball AND YEAR-ROUND ENTERTAINMENT stadium) to the existing amenities of downtown will be paramount. The stadium itself is going to be something to be truly proud of, second to none.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM

127 posts, read 129,226 times
I hope y'all are right. I've lost complete faith in this city to do anything right. I fully expect this to take to long, go far over budget, and be a complete boondoggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area