U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM

140 posts, read 362,138 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I went apartment hunting last weekend. I am deciding between Lexington (near Sunset and 20) and NE Columbia. I have googled the distance for the apartment complex I liked in Lexington and some of the apartment complexes in NE Columbia that I liked. The apartments in NE Columbia win regarding shorter commute distance and time to get to the VA in Columbia. But, I think I prefer to live in Lexington based on what I saw in that area.

So, my question is for people who are familiar with this commute. If you've done this commute, how's driving from Lexington (near Sunset and 2) going to the VA in Columbia? I watched the traffic map and it has been showing a 35 minute drive. That's ok. To give you a bit of background, I've also lived in the LA area, San Fran area, and the Wash DC area.

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM

55 posts, read 106,409 times
One thing that will definitely affect commute time if you choose Lexington area is where on Sunset and how far that is away from the 20 and/or 26. As you might of have read already on this board, Sunset (aka 378) can get really congested during "rush" hour, and will probably get worse once a new high school opens on Corley Mill (though they have some sort of plan in place to help alleviate that additional traffic). If your work commute is during non peak hours, even if different by just a half hour (say leaving at 7am vs 7:30am) the traffic on Sunset is non existent, your commute time will definitely be reduced.

I moved to Lexington recently and so far have really liked it. My only complaint is the sunset/20 fwy congestion, though I leave early enough typically it doesn't affect me. But compared to real traffic nightmares for which I also have lived in (as I also have lived in both LA and SF too), Columbia/Lexington traffic is nothing.

hope that helps, if not let me know.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffan21 View Post
One thing that will definitely affect commute time if you choose Lexington area is where on Sunset and how far that is away from the 20 and/or 26. As you might of have read already on this board, Sunset (aka 378) can get really congested during "rush" hour, and will probably get worse once a new high school opens on Corley Mill (though they have some sort of plan in place to help alleviate that additional traffic). If your work commute is during non peak hours, even if different by just a half hour (say leaving at 7am vs 7:30am) the traffic on Sunset is non existent, your commute time will definitely be reduced.

I moved to Lexington recently and so far have really liked it. My only complaint is the sunset/20 fwy congestion, though I leave early enough typically it doesn't affect me. But compared to real traffic nightmares for which I also have lived in (as I also have lived in both LA and SF too), Columbia/Lexington traffic is nothing.

hope that helps, if not let me know.

I will be leaving home around 7:30am.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM

6,634 posts, read 14,132,531 times
NE Columbia to the VA Hospital is a much easier commute on I-77.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
NE Columbia to the VA Hospital is a much easier commute on I-77.
Yep, NE is shorter for sure.

Do you have any experience with the commute from Lexington to the VA?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,058,265 times
I've done Lex to the VA because I used to work in Lex and lived in Sumter. Sunset to I-26. I-26 to I-77. I-77 to Garners Ferry Rd. Normal traffic - 25 to 30 minutes. Rush Hour traffic - 30-35 minutes. The biggest problem is Sunset Rd to I-26. Depending on how far down (into Lex) on Sunset you are. My office was close to I-20. So if you are closer to Lexington, add another 5 minutes. Once you get on the interstates, you're fine.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,693,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I've done Lex to the VA because I used to work in Lex and lived in Sumter. Sunset to I-26. I-26 to I-77. I-77 to Garners Ferry Rd. Normal traffic - 25 to 30 minutes. Rush Hour traffic - 30-35 minutes. The biggest problem is Sunset Rd to I-26. Depending on how far down (into Lex) on Sunset you are. My office was close to I-20. So if you are closer to Lexington, add another 5 minutes. Once you get on the interstates, you're fine.

An alternative route would be to get on I20 at Sunset. Stay on I20 to I77 then I77 South to Garners Ferry Road exit. Not saying this route is shorter nor easier, but it is highway all the way.

Personally I would consider living in the Forest Acres area or NE.

MapQuest the routes.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM

973 posts, read 1,895,143 times
If you live on Sunset near I-20 I would jump on I-20 and take it to I-26 (just a couple of miles @ 70 mph) instead of fighting the traffic lights and school zones on Sunset.

But be warned. If you are looking at the apartments right there at that intersection keep in mind that during school there is an elementary and middle school down the road and the roads are packed with mommy vans from 7:15 - 8:00. Your biggest obstacle will be getting onto I-20. Once there open the coffee, turn up the radio and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM

252 posts, read 218,832 times
I'd probably look at some n'hoods near the VA before commuting to N.E Columbia or Lexington. Just not that much of a difference. Traffic flow is a lot better in S.E. Columbia too.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,202,731 times
Northeast Columbia is a way better commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area