U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,490,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
But…Columbia Place would depend on the county wanting to do something with it since it's not in the city.
Columbia Place is in the city... isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Columbia Place is in the city... isn't it?
Columbiana is, not Columbia Place.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Columbiana is, not Columbia Place.
I honestly didn't know that. Man, Columbia's city limits are schizophrenic.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM

322 posts, read 374,736 times
City of Columbia basically stole columbiana place from Harbison/Richland county. Good tax move by columbia.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:
I honestly didn't know that. Man, Columbia's city limits are schizophrenic.

Forest Acres City Limits are closer to Columbia Place than the City of Columbia's. Forest Acres is just on the eastside of the Railroad tracks/bridge and fans out along Trenholm Road. I think they were poised to annex Columbia Place.. but once it began to decline likely decided against it.. especially when the crime increased. RCSD had an annex in the mall at one time. Forest Acres probably looked at the calls for service and decided against pursuing annexation (and the Mall may have been against it as well). If the redevelopment is a success I can guarantee you that FA may pursue it then. It would be a huge boost to their tax base given the size of their municipality. Most of the undeveloped land on Trenholm Road north of Decker is in Forest Acres... A good move to reap the tax benefits if/when it is ever that vacant land is ever developed.

Columbia would have to go through several not so desirable neighbohorhoods and/or annex several commercial tracts along Parklane to get to Columbia Place. If I were the owners of Columbia Place.. I would be trying to get into the COlumbia City Limits. If the City is cutting deals like the Columbia Commons development it would be worth being in the City to see how much $ they could get to redevelop.. I doubt the County or Forest Acres ( or Arcadia Lakes for that matter) is interested in forking over any $$$ to help facilitate that ...

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
City of Columbia basically stole columbiana place from Harbison/Richland county. Good tax move by columbia.
I knew about Columbiana. I just didn't realize that Columbia Place wasn't also in the city limits. Learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Forest Acres City Limits are closer to Columbia Place than the City of Columbia's.
Forest Acres is just another example of why I say Columbia's city limits are schizophrenic, though it's the donut-holes and islands of annexed space that really get me.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I knew about Columbiana. I just didn't realize that Columbia Place wasn't also in the city limits. Learn something new every day.

Forest Acres is just another example of why I say Columbia's city limits are schizophrenic, though it's the donut-holes and islands of annexed space that really get me.

Forest Acres has a dilemna..They dont want to get engulfed by Columbia.. which borders them on the south and the east (ft. jackson). To the north is Woodfield Park/Decker Blvd and to the west is Columbia Place and not so desirable residential areas along Two Notch, Fontaine Road (New Castle) all of which they dont necessarily want inside their boundaries... So they try enough shoe string annexation tactics.. like annexing up North Trenholm Rd to near I-77 to keep from getting landlocked. Interesting chess game... Same with Arcadia Lakes who also has a toe hold just off two notch..though they are not as concerned with getting landlocked since they are mostly a residential municipality by choice with very little commercial taxbase which appears undesirable to them

Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,257,083 times
Quote:

Well all that's do to the annexation laws I wish we didn't have in SC. Heck, the city doesn't even have Olympia and some of the land on Assembly in its limits. Yet, the city has land on Clemson and Percival Rd, which is connected to Ft. Jackson. But my issue a lot of the city limits is non-taxable (churches, government, etc.)

But either way I don't see the county wanting to do anything with Columbia Place. Since, Killian Crossing hasn't really gotten off the ground and VAS isn't even full yet. Also the county as I stated before has corridors for retail instead of one prime spot (Decker, Two Notch, now Clemson and killian Rd).

Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Well all that's do to the annexation laws I wish we didn't have in SC. Heck, the city doesn't even have Olympia and some of the land on Assembly in its limits. Yet, the city has land on Clemson and Percival Rd, which is connected to Ft. Jackson. But my issue a lot of the city limits is non-taxable (churches, government, etc.)

But either way I don't see the county wanting to do anything with Columbia Place. Since, Killian Crossing hasn't really gotten off the ground and VAS isn't even full yet. Also the county as I stated before has corridors for retail instead of one prime spot (Decker, Two Notch, now Clemson and killian Rd).

Not to Mention Broad River, St Andrews Road, and Garners Ferry all of which have challenges in one form or another....Woodhills Mall was 'redeveloped' successfully and Trenholm Plaza is holding its own.. The Super Walmart out on Bush River used to be "Bush River Mall" or something to that effect was 'redeveloped' and now its cousin Decker Mall will become a government center. I can even see Dutch Square and Richland Mall probably have more promise at being redeveloped than Columbia Place unless they include housing, office, and light industrial in the deal. Both Dutch Square and Richland Mall still are surrounded by fairly stable neighborhoods and Dutch Square is closer to downtown and two busy interstates....Dutch Square could go "up and become more of an urban lifestyle center surrounded by market rate rental housing and create its own 'town center' environs..Its location would provide a nice older suburban/interburban feel for those who want somewhat of an urban lifestyle with suburban amenities.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 AM

9,611 posts, read 13,735,041 times
Forest Acres has annexed basically all the way to Decker, stopping just short on the east side of Two Notch. Richland County is highly focused on helping to reinvent Decker. The Columbia Place Mall buyers probably know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or