U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,509,981 times
Reputation: 615

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Georgia State University is in downtown Atlanta and the students blend in well....Columbia is not a big city, but I don't think having students in the center city will be a bad thing.
It would if they out number the non-students there and everything the CBD was over runner with college students. If we do that, businesses will start to cater to them rather than everyone else and you'll begin to feel out of place there if your not a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2013, 04:05 AM
 
29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Georgia State University is in downtown Atlanta and the students blend in well....Columbia is not a big city, but I don't think having students in the center city will be a bad thing.
But the difference is that downtown Columbia is on an upswing led by private development and outside of investment by GSU, downtown Atlanta isn't seeing a lot of development. I have to agree that you don't want to see Main overrun by college students, but I also think that the Hub will bring more restaurants and retail to Main which will in turn spark more general residential development for people at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,509,981 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But the difference is that downtown Columbia is on an upswing led by private development and outside of investment by GSU, downtown Atlanta isn't seeing a lot of development. I have to agree that you don't want to see Main overrun by college students, but I also think that the Hub will bring more restaurants and retail to Main which will in turn spark more general residential development for people at large.
Honestly if we can have more residential development down there that is not for students and can out number/match the amount of students there and as long as the students dont cause issues and the businesses down there are not over run by students, im okay with it. But we have to make sure that Main Street does not revolve around the students. If that happens, non-students will begin to feel out of place and no longer want to go down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Honestly if we can have more residential development down there that is not for students and can out number/match the amount of students there and as long as the students dont cause issues and the businesses down there are not over run by students, im okay with it. But we have to make sure that Main Street does not revolve around the students. If that happens, non-students will begin to feel out of place and no longer want to go down there.
I don't think the City Center Partnership, Main Street corporate leaders, existing merchants and residents, and the city zoning board will allow that to happen. Powerful forces will come to the table to say enough before it is overrun by a college student vibe. To say the students are welcome as a way to fill up a huge empty building is one thing. To surrender to USC-influenced development and allow the central business district to be almost one with the USC campus in ambiance would be another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM
 
136 posts, read 198,395 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Gamecock, I dont disagree that USC has a significant impact on the city, it is obviously a huge asset in recruitment of companies, pumping grads into the economy, etc. and indirectly whether its a law firm that is here because the partners went to USC and stayed or a company that came to Columbia because of a well educated work force that USC provided I completely agree with this and have always said the same thing about Florence and Francis Marion even though its on a smaller scale there.

I also dont disagree that having 30k+ students that probably wouldnt be here otherwise is a good thing for our economy and has been an asset in bringing things to Columbia. But while I see what your saying here, I thing boasting ourselves as a college town and letting USC run our downtown not only sells the city way short but also hurts the retention efforts and recruitment efforts of recent college grads here, which are key to a vibrant city. As a recent college grad myself and as Bouje pointed out earlier, college grads do not want to be in a place over run by college students, they want to be in a place with people there own age and touting Columbia as a college town gives people the perception of a Tuscaloosa or an Athens, GA rather than a place like Raleigh where NC St is a huge part of their economy and no doubt has many things there that wouldnt be there without NC St, but at the same time does not revolve around NC St.

Bottom line is there are clear advantages to having USC here and Columbia can only reap these benefits through retaining grads and recruiting companies. If Columbia just wants to be known as a college town that revolves around students thats fine and dandy but just dont expect to see Columbia grow much, dont expect to see a lot of big companies come here and get ready to watch a bunch of 18-24 year olds come here for 4-5 years, then move to Greenville because they're "not in to the whole college thing anymore." If thats what were trying to be, let me know so I can go ahead and pack!
I hate to bump an old thread, but you are being ignorant here. College towns attract tons of business and many of them have BOOMING economies because of the college. Look at Fayetteville (AR -- home to the Razorbacks)...one of the fastest growing economies in the nation and has been rated a top place for business and raising a family. Believe me when I say, the You of A is responsible for that. Bloomington (IN), Eugene (OR), Athens (GA), Madison (WI), Iowa City...they all have benefited greatly from identifying themselves as 'college towns'. All of these cities revolve around their college and are doing very well economically as a result.

Madison is the capitol of Wisconsin and is STILL considered a college town even with 200+ thousand inhabitants. Everything revolves around the Badgers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
I hate to bump an old thread, but you are being ignorant here. College towns attract tons of business and many of them have BOOMING economies because of the college. Look at Fayetteville (AR -- home to the Razorbacks)...one of the fastest growing economies in the nation and has been rated a top place for business and raising a family. Believe me when I say, the You of A is responsible for that. Bloomington (IN), Eugene (OR), Athens (GA), Madison (WI), Iowa City...they all have benefited greatly from identifying themselves as 'college towns'. All of these cities revolve around their college and are doing very well economically as a result.

Madison is the capitol of Wisconsin and is STILL considered a college town even with 200+ thousand inhabitants. Everything revolves around the Badgers there.
Columbia itself isn't being very ignorant. I guess that's your point. Announcements about the university's research and innovation are a regular part of the news these days, and the city is taking advantage by working closely with the school. A lot of great things are happening here and more great things are on the horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM
 
136 posts, read 198,395 times
Reputation: 175
Wasn't my point. Point is, the previous poster suggested that by identifying as a college town you are limiting your potential to grow as a metropolitan powerhouse. I don't find that to be the case at all. In fact, I think identifying as a college town is far more beneficial to a cities economy than simply identifying as a city.

Like it or not, the University of South Carolina is going to be the first thing people think of when they hear Columbia. Especially as their football program continues to make waves on the national scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,632 posts, read 14,132,531 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Wasn't my point. Point is, the previous poster suggested that by identifying as a college town you are limiting your potential to grow as a metropolitan powerhouse. I don't find that to be the case at all. In fact, I think identifying as a college town is far more beneficial to a cities economy than simply identifying as a city.

Like it or not, the University of South Carolina is going to be the first thing people think of when they hear Columbia. Especially as their football program continues to make waves on the national scene.
I agree; it's great being a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Wasn't my point. Point is, the previous poster suggested that by identifying as a college town you are limiting your potential to grow as a metropolitan powerhouse. I don't find that to be the case at all. In fact, I think identifying as a college town is far more beneficial to a cities economy than simply identifying as a city.

Like it or not, the University of South Carolina is going to be the first thing people think of when they hear Columbia. Especially as their football program continues to make waves on the national scene.
I meant I guess your point was that Columbia is smart to embrace the university and that its close identity with the school is a good thing, not a bad one. If that wasn't your point, then I'll add that cities that embrace their universities, like Columbia, as opposed to having a passive relationship with them, are smart.

I think the fear was that there was a danger the city would become so closely identified with the university that it would thought of as nothing more than a place to go to college and then leave. IMO, because Columbia is the capital with an important military base, a growing manufacturing and technology base, and a growing arts and tourism base, that fear is unfounded. Also, developers have just announced plans for apartments in the downtown area that so far have not had the "student" word associated with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 PM
 
29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Wasn't my point. Point is, the previous poster suggested that by identifying as a college town you are limiting your potential to grow as a metropolitan powerhouse. I don't find that to be the case at all. In fact, I think identifying as a college town is far more beneficial to a cities economy than simply identifying as a city.

Like it or not, the University of South Carolina is going to be the first thing people think of when they hear Columbia. Especially as their football program continues to make waves on the national scene.
I agree, but as far as Fayetteville, AR goes, the university isn't solely--or even primarily I'd say--responsible for its economic growth. I think the region being home to the nation's number one F500 company, which happens to be the world's largest retailer, as well as two other F500 companies, has something to do with it also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top