U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,509,431 times

Advertisements

I have a ton of concerns for the new Hub at Columbia project and kind of what to get the perspectives from the folks on here about it.

First off, I think this is a horrible thing for Main Street. While it is good to fill a huge vacancy as well as add 860 residents, to me these are the absolute last type of residents we need. I am very afraid that these students will over run Main Street and transform it from the up and coming city center, to a hang out for college kids like Five Points.

Secondly, why would a student really want to live here? Your not close to campus, your not close to the stadium (baseball or the Brice) and your not close to Five Points. Most students dont want to go (and cant get into) The Vista and The Vista bars dont want them either (for the most part). Yes, this will be an awesome place with cool amenities, but there is nothing for college students around there and hopefully none will come.

Thirdly, for the developer. It baffles me as to why this is SOLELY for students and not geared toward young professionals and students alike. Downtown apartments that cater to both are in incredibly high demand and are only becoming more so that way. With an abundance of student living communities plus on campus housing, mixed with a bad location for a college student, I think this developer is missing a huge market for the Hub. If he were to make it open to anyone, he is only gaining potential tenants that would provide a much better make up and probably higher occupancy than being geared toward students.

It just seems like a slight change in the target market would make such a world of difference and be tremendously better for the city and the developer alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM

9,609 posts, read 13,732,561 times
The free market? It's up to other developers and the general population to develop new housing and to live downtown so that the students get lost in the crowd. While it might seem a little odd on the face of it, young minds in the CBD should be a good thing.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree with that I just think the developer is missing a huge opportunity and dont really understand what his reasoning is. Now I am not in the real estate business nor the development business, im just fascinated by it, but it seems to me that the developer has not done enough market research.

Young minds will be great for the CBD, young mature minds. Dont get me wrong I was in a fraternity in college and attended a fair share of toga parties and there is nothing wrong with that and this is not a knock on students, I just think this is a bad mix for Main Street without the other developers building more housing there and if we dont get more developers to do so before this takes off, we could see a big decline in Main Street. I really do hope some developers have plans to build NON student housing around Main Street soon!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM

6,144 posts, read 9,353,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I agree with that I just think the developer is missing a huge opportunity and dont really understand what his reasoning is. Now I am not in the real estate business nor the development business, im just fascinated by it, but it seems to me that the developer has not done enough market research.

Young minds will be great for the CBD, young mature minds. Dont get me wrong I was in a fraternity in college and attended a fair share of toga parties and there is nothing wrong with that and this is not a knock on students, I just think this is a bad mix for Main Street without the other developers building more housing there and if we dont get more developers to do so before this takes off, we could see a big decline in Main Street. I really do hope some developers have plans to build NON student housing around Main Street soon!

There is also plenty of student housing that is not close to the academic campus but is still full of students. My concerns is not that the students will over run Main Street is.. will this student housing still be viable 10 to 20 years from now...What will likely happen since Main Street is presumably going to be even better 20 years from now is that they will convert it into market apartments or condos..however; if the market is bad or there is a glut of 'student housing' downtown and student begin to dislike living in a highrise versus a garden style apartment.. it could become the equivalent of a "housing project" in the middle of downtown... which is my main concern..... By the way.. most of the new student housing complexes are going to be "luxury" or "designer" student housing.. which is all well and good. The HUB is supposed to have a pool deck on the top of the parking garage.. which should be cool. I just hope it is "luxury" as well and doesnt end up like other midrise student housing buildings in Five Points and next to Maxy Gregg...

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

665 posts, read 602,721 times
Is it true that this is technically only for students? Will you have to show a student ID to actually sign a lease ?

Let me tell you, I understand what you're saying about Main St turning into five points, but I think your worries are unfounded or at least exaggerated. First, not all five points bars are annoyingly filled with drunk college kids with no regular, older people around. I'm sure there will be some bars that pop up that will cater to that young crowd but along with those will likely come other bars ad restaurants for a slightly older crowd. Already you have this going on in the vista. What do you think the tin roof is? You cannot distinguish the tin roof from any of the more collegey five points bars in my opinion. The big ugly was another, though slightly older. I will give you that even for the bars in the vista that feel like five points bars, they still feel slightly older than the collegey five points bars.

But you should always remember that Columbia would likely collapse if students all of a sudden stopped coming to Columbia. Think if USC just disappeared what that would mean. So my view is yes as older adults the students may be annoying sometimes, but there are positive spillover effects. The positives of having 800+ students on Main Street will far outweigh the negative.

Let's be honest. Main st, while nice, is still mostly dead at night these days. Injecting it with 800 people should transform the main st night life experience for everyone, not just students.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Is it true that this is technically only for students? Will you have to show a student ID to actually sign a lease ?

Let me tell you, I understand what you're saying about Main St turning into five points, but I think your worries are unfounded or at least exaggerated. First, not all five points bars are annoyingly filled with drunk college kids with no regular, older people around. I'm sure there will be some bars that pop up that will cater to that young crowd but along with those will likely come other bars ad restaurants for a slightly older crowd. Already you have this going on in the vista. What do you think the tin roof is? You cannot distinguish the tin roof from any of the more collegey five points bars in my opinion. The big ugly was another, though slightly older. I will give you that even for the bars in the vista that feel like five points bars, they still feel slightly older than the collegey five points bars.

But you should always remember that Columbia would likely collapse if students all of a sudden stopped coming to Columbia. Think if USC just disappeared what that would mean. So my view is yes as older adults the students may be annoying sometimes, but there are positive spillover effects. The positives of having 800+ students on Main Street will far outweigh the negative.

Let's be honest. Main st, while nice, is still mostly dead at night these days. Injecting it with 800 people should transform the main st night life experience for everyone, not just students.
I agree that some of my concerns may be exaggerated especially if these apartments are more geared toward older students rather than the freshman and yes I am speaking as a young adult who graduated not so long ago and does not want to be around that. I do also see how having a later crowd down there would be good because even places that are packed with young professionals are usually dead on weeknights after 11 since everyone has to work.

But while I do agree that USC students do help the city's economy, it is not THE city's economy. I look at this project and see this as making Columbia look more like a college town rather than a world class city that we truly have the potential to be. Plus one of the biggest pushes on even USC's part is retaining graduates and young talent here in Columbia. Again as someone who just graduated and im not just speaking for me on this, we want to move on from the college life that we lived, not be surrounded by it. So tell me how we are going to achieve this goal with college students over running Main Street?

I am not saying usc is not important to Columbia, there is no denying that just like there is no denying that UT is vital to Austin, but this city DOES NOT need to revolve around USC just like Austin does not revolve around UT or how Tuscaloos does revolve around Bama, and the more things like this that we do where we over run the middle of our city with students, the further away we get from being an Austin and the closer we get to being a Tuscaloosa.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM

PLUS im sure these business travelers coming to Columbia or companies that are holding conventions or hosting out of town clients at the Marriott or Sheraton are going to really love the students walking around hungover as all hell, girls doing the walk of shame out of someones apartment, empty Bush Light cans littering the street, being woken up at 3 AM by music from a toga party....yeah Nelson Mullins will be sure to land that client, im sure that trade show will want to come back.

Just Sayin.......

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

29,669 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Main Street is first and foremost a corporate and government corridor and that's not going to change. The students won't "take over" Main Street; they'll just add some diversity to the mix. I'd expect to see more retail that caters to a wide range of demographics pop up on Main as a result.

As far as this development not being close to campus, neither are the student housing developments down on Shop and Bluff roads, but they've been successful.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

975 posts, read 997,973 times
re: To me these are the absolute last type of residents we need. I am very afraid that these students will over run Main Street and transform it from the up and coming city center, to a hang out for college kids like Five Points.

Ya I'm going to echo Mutiny77 and say these kids will bring desirable retailers in which is a huge boon to main street. Main Street is going to get its glow back on thanks to this development which is a real game changer. Really wouldn't get bent out of shape over the best thing to happen to Main since Mast.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,690,516 times
Cola has raised an interesting and a valid point of view. My experience in large cities says it is a multi step process. Once more people start appearing, the more businesses there will be to accommodate them. Not that your average underclassman has much money to spend, but their folks do when they visit.

Mutiny raises an interesting and valid point of view. The corporate and government corridor is a good description and I wish for more, but that stops at dark.

I would rather have walk of shame, hung over students, toga parties, etc. then what exists after dark in downtown presently as in nothing, nada, zippo, nobody, etc. exists after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area