Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:44 PM

678 posts, read 799,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The question is purely hypothetical. Just interested in what urban improvements other people would make if they were czar for a day.
I would make several pedestrian tunnels downtown, particularly at assembly and gervais (going under assembly) and within the tunnels there could even be retail space and/or bars so that perhaps the tax revenue could eventually pay for the tunnels.

I just love being able to walk around without having to worry about traffic.

Does anyone know how expensive a pedestrian tunnel is ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I would make several pedestrian tunnels downtown, particularly at assembly and gervais (going under assembly) and within the tunnels there could even be retail space and/or bars so that perhaps the tax revenue could eventually pay for the tunnels.

I just love being able to walk around without having to worry about traffic.

Does anyone know how expensive a pedestrian tunnel is ?
Taking feet off the street kills vibrancy. WALK/DON'T WALK takes care of the problem.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Taking feet off the street kills vibrancy. WALK/DON'T WALK takes care of the problem.
Exactly. Tunnels actively work against pedestrian activity on the street.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
What they need to do change asssembly from 4 (or is it 6?) to 2 lanes. Then put up some trees. That's what G Vegas did to get the ball rolling.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:50 PM

I don't think a tunnel simply going underneath Assembly st and reappearing on the other side of gervais would kill vibrancy at all. The main issue with them is they're likely just of expensive, but you would increase traffic going to and from main st to the vista most likely because it would be much easier to cross.. No waiting for a walking sign and also drivers not having to worry about people who ignore those signs.

Sorry but walking across assembly, especially during certain times and when the weather is hot/ cold is a pain. It's also annoying sometimes having those people turning right on red (even at lights where there's a sign prohibiting) that you have to watch out for, and it's more dangerous when there's 4 lanes vs 2. I realize a tunnel is not really all that practical with the city facing other more important issues, but I think making streets easier to cross in generals increases vibrancy not decreases.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
I still don't see see much of a need to walk from Main Street to the Vista or the reverse. If you go eat soemwhere in the Vista, why would you want to walk to Main Street after that except on some rare occassioin.

We might be challenging the laws of human nature here.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I still don't see see much of a need to walk from Main Street to the Vista or the reverse. If you go eat soemwhere in the Vista, why would you want to walk to Main Street after that except on some rare occassioin.

Let's say you eat at Gervais and Vine. Then walk to, say, Art Bar for drinks afterwards. That is a much farther walk than, say, Cola's (in the Vista) to Main St. But Assembly St. is sort of a mental barrier I think being 4 lanes with fast moving traffic. A pedestrian tunnel would obviously solve the problem and I think increase vibrancy due to increased traffic.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I don't think a tunnel simply going underneath Assembly st and reappearing on the other side of gervais would kill vibrancy at all. The main issue with them is they're likely just of expensive, but you would increase traffic going to and from main st to the vista most likely because it would be much easier to cross.. No waiting for a walking sign and also drivers not having to worry about people who ignore those signs.

Sorry but walking across assembly, especially during certain times and when the weather is hot/ cold is a pain. It's also annoying sometimes having those people turning right on red (even at lights where there's a sign prohibiting) that you have to watch out for, and it's more dangerous when there's 4 lanes vs 2. I realize a tunnel is not really all that practical with the city facing other more important issues, but I think making streets easier to cross in generals increases vibrancy not decreases.
It is pretty well-documented that pedestrian tunnels and bridges hurt street-level pedestrian activity in downtown areas. Houston has a whole system of these and they don't help in that regard: Tunnel, pedestrian bridges drain life from downtown - Houston Chronicle

Furthermore, it's really just unnecessary. It would be much easier and inexpensive to put Assembly on a road diet. And with the hilly nature of downtown, flooding could also be a concern.

Quote:

It's a matter of making the downtown pedestrian experience more cohesive. It would be nice to make it easier for pedestrians to go from the art museum or Mast General to Finlay or along Gervais or to Trustus. But even after narrowing Assembly, you'll still need destinations in key spots, like at the lots at the Gervais intersection, to generate substantial pedestrian activity. One big issue for downtown is that due to its layout, a lot of uses are very spatially separated and it will simply take time to fill all those gaps in. Still, the city can focus on key corridors to help create a seamless experience from, say, the historic Mills District to the State Museum.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It is pretty well-documented that pedestrian tunnels and bridges hurt street-level pedestrian activity in downtown areas. Houston has a whole system of these and they don't help in that regard: Tunnel, pedestrian bridges drain life from downtown - Houston Chronicle

Furthermore, it's really just unnecessary. It would be much easier and inexpensive to put Assembly on a road diet. And with the hilly nature of downtown, flooding could also be
Interesting. I did not realize Houston had so many tunnels. I wonder how they deal with flooding being in a hurricane zone. To be fair, though, I really only want one tunnel. I don't want to turn Columbia into a tunnel city like Houston. We don't have the oil money here to afford that anyway.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:

The groups of people my partner and I witnessed a while ago crossing Assembly at Gervais in both directions as we crossed Gervais must have had their reasons. I don't know where they were coming from or going, but it's good to see. Also, while I'm on this topic, before we parked we turned right on Assembly from Gervais and witnessed a young man and woman holding hands and walking at a normal pace that you couldn't even call brisk, crossing Assembly. They started when the little man appeared on the walk sign and all but made it to the other side when the walk sign changed to its 26-second countdown. They could have crawled across in time, or at least made it to the median. While bump-outs and a median that serves better as a landing will make a difference, I still say the bulk of the problem at that intersection is the perception one gets because of the empty corners that should be buildings on the same scale as the ones that begin halfway down the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area