Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

We have a forum for these sorts of discussions

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM

376 posts, read 728,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What "major mall" are you referring to? I think Columbia Mall lost that status some time ago.

And I don't think you're all that familiar with other cities if you think this is somehow unique to Columbia; most sizable cities have those deteriorating older suburban areas stuck between the urban core/in-town neighborhoods and the newer suburban/exurban areas. Take a ride down Central Avenue in Charlotte towards the site of the former Eastland Mall for example.

I seriously doubt this constitutes a reason that some natives dislike the city. If so, they'll be in for a rude awakening to move somewhere else and find the same thing.
Well it is a huge mall. I thought there were still stores in it too. Just in a less desirable part of town, which is a shame because it is near the interstate and has more visiblity to travelers than other areas.

I'm not saying there aren't areas like this elsewhere. But to me, that is the worse urban sprawl road in SC, and it is "ugly" urban sprawl. I know the state well and nothing else comes close. Rivers Avenue isn't that bad to me. Maybe Dorchester road, especially north of 526 toward charleston, but I can't remember if it had much on it.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Agreed. In general, much of the known left wing/liberal party isn't really that liberal in the grand scheme of things. Try telling someone in Europe how liberal Barack Obama is. They'd laugh.
This isn't Europe, but if Obama is less liberal than Europeans, that is because of the resistance of conservative Republicans, not his natural inclination.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM

422 posts, read 486,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Being informed requires reading what other people say. I am not necessarily qualified to research everything on my own but I did understand his points and it clearly is credible.

The presumption being that others are informed with what they say or are not promoting agendas or their biases. History is riddled with people being misinformed and manipulated because they either lack the will or capacity to research things on their own. Credible and factual are two different things.

Quote:
I don't think most sincere Democrats really going to try to argue Obama has cut spending. I don't think Obama even tried in the debates, this is what Romney hammered him on especially in that first debate.

There in lines the problem you don't know or are conflating spending cuts with slowest growth in spending.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
The presumption being that others are informed with what they say or are not promoting agendas or their biases. History is riddled with people being misinformed and manipulated because they either lack the will or capacity to research things on their own. Credible and factual are two different things.

There in lines the problem you don't know or are conflating spending cuts with slowest growth in spending.
Well I will take the Forbes guy over the NY Times guy or whatever his media platform is. Forbes has credibitly on economic, fiscal, tax kind of stuff. It isn't logical that Obama is some kind of fiscally responsible person, he is selling more government programs, that is what American votes want. Why deny it, he won in two landslides essentially.

I would ask you to rebut each of his points one by one but some forums are strict about staying on the exact topic with on conversational drift into other topics even if all participants on the forum are cool with it. LOL I try to play by the rules when I can.

I think it is Democrats who conflate spending cuts with small cuts in massive government spending increases. Some Republicans too. A lot of the time they claim Republicans want to starve poor kids when the GOP proposed small reduction in spending increases, not actual spending cuts. This is what the GOP is up against. Being responsible even in a fairly insigificant way will make you a pariah with "the people", or "the folks" as BIll O calls them. LOL

Old 08-18-2013, 02:24 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Can we take this politics garbage to the appropriate forum and get back to Columbia. Personally, I don't care what folks think about Republicans or Democrats. Although it is entertaining reading economic theory posted by an engineer.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Well I will take the Forbes guy over the NY Times guy or whatever his media platform is. Forbes has credibitly on economic, fiscal, tax kind of stuff. It isn't logical that Obama is some kind of fiscally responsible person, he is selling more government programs, that is what American votes want. Why deny it, he won in two landslides essentially.

I think it is Democrats who conflate spending cuts with small cuts in massive government spending increases. Some Republicans too. A lot of the time they claim Republicans want to starve poor kids when the GOP proposed small reduction in spending increases, not actual spending cuts. This is what the GOP is up against. Being responsible even in a fairly insigificant way will make you a pariah with "the people", or "the folks" as BIll O calls them. LOL
You already said you're not qualified to research on your own, so you resort to appeal to authority fallacy i.e. saying that because an "authority" thinks something, it must therefore be true. You can always find someone that's going to give you information to confirm your own biases or as I said, you can start with researching data from the Office of Management and Budget and Congressional Budget Office.

No offense, but the second paragraph tells me you have poor reading comprehension skills or a lack of knowledge of the topic at hand. Spending cuts and annualized growth of federal spending are not the same thing. It's like thinking revenue and profits are the same. The fact that you're a Fox News viewer speaks volumes.

Good day!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Can we take this politics garbage to the appropriate forum and get back to Columbia.

You're right. My apologies.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
You're right. My apologies.
No problem, I actually think the title of the thread is a good one, just wanted to see what others think. And, we have a resident troll who likes to take over threads.......it is amusing, sometimes.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
No problem, I actually think the title of the thread is a good one, just wanted to see what others think. And, we have a resident troll who likes to take over threads.......it is amusing, sometimes.
I just said that I would like a conservative alternative newspaper to The State and then all of a sudden I found myself at the Young Democrats happy hour, completely surrounded. Some people made some assertions and I just tried my best to respond to them. There really isn't a right or wrong opinion in politics, much like sports.

I certainly didn't take over the thread and in fact I was humbled. I am all about talking about Columbia, politics isn't much fun when you always lose and your party is spinning out of control into perpetual irrelevance, unable to come up with decent ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area