Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

Back up. It has to be 25% of the workforce commuting to the established MSA counties. Newberry County barely missed in the 2010 census at 24.3%. This was covered in another thread somewhere. I waited this long to click on this thread because, even though I was born in Sumter and lived there until I was four, about the only thing I can think of statistically that would be good if Sumter County were added is an additional 101,001-ish people added to the MSA's population. I can say that. I was born there. Also, I don't think you can go around adding an existing MSA of 100,001-ish people without sharing the name of the MSA, as in Columbia-Sumter. Sorry. I'm too stingy for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Back up. It has to be 25% of the workforce commuting to the established MSA counties. Newberry County barely missed in the 2010 census at 24.3%. This was covered in another thread somewhere. I waited this long to click on this thread because, even though I was born in Sumter and lived there until I was four, about the only thing I can think of statistically that would be good if Sumter County were added is an additional 101,001-ish people added to the MSA's population. I can say that. I was born there. Also, I don't think you can go around adding an existing MSA of 100,001-ish people without sharing the name of the MSA, as in Columbia-Sumter. Sorry. I'm too stingy for that.
As long as Columbia is growing and adding jobs, it will eventually happen. People will still refer to it as Columbia's MSA though.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
Quote:
Your fine and definitely correct about that with the MSA having to be at 25% but the CSA can be between 15% and 25% which according to the state commerce 2012 labor stats, over 15% of Sumter County commutes to the Columbia MSA. Now someone on here made a point that the 15% had to be commuting into the principle counties of the MSA (Lex and Rich) which would barely miss the mark by only getting 14.8% of Sumter County commuters. The other county I factored in with this was Kershaw County who gets 2.3% which in then would then qualify. None the less im sure the next time they evaluate CSA status which is more frequent than the 10 year MSA re evaluation, Sumter will join Columbia and we will become the Columbia-Sumter-Orangeburg CSA.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Your fine and definitely correct about that with the MSA having to be at 25% but the CSA can be between 15% and 25% which according to the state commerce 2012 labor stats, over 15% of Sumter County commutes to the Columbia MSA. Now someone on here made a point that the 15% had to be commuting into the principle counties of the MSA (Lex and Rich) which would barely miss the mark by only getting 14.8% of Sumter County commuters. The other county I factored in with this was Kershaw County who gets 2.3% which in then would then qualify. None the less im sure the next time they evaluate CSA status which is more frequent than the 10 year MSA re evaluation, Sumter will join Columbia and we will become the Columbia-Sumter-Orangeburg CSA.
This is incorrect. MSAs and CSAs are evaluated at the same time for potential reconfiguration, three years after the official decennial Census.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As long as Columbia is growing and adding jobs, it will eventually happen. People will still refer to it as Columbia's MSA though.
With Newberry joining it will still officially be the Columbia MSA. With Sumter joining it would officially be the Columbia-Sumter MSA. People might still call it the Columbia MSA even though the official name would be Columbia-Sumter.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
With Newberry joining it will still officially be the Columbia MSA. With Sumter joining it would officially be the Columbia-Sumter MSA. People might still call it the Columbia MSA even though the official name would be Columbia-Sumter.
Yep, just like people say the Charlotte MSA. Who has time to be saying the Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, just like people say the Charlotte MSA. Who has time to be saying the Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA?
The difference is there never was an existing Gastonia or Concord MSA. Sumter might not be willing to just "disappear" from the MSA world.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The difference is there never was an existing Gastonia or Concord MSA. Sumter might not be willing to just "disappear" from the MSA world.
Not too much they can do about it because people will still just call it the Columbia metro area and be done with it.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Also, if Columbia and Sumter were combined, then reports from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, housing reports, etc., would list us as Columbia-Sumter. Forgive my stinginess, but I like seeing just Columbia when I see such reports.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:

That may be THE issue.. Sumter is a proud and indepedent city and enjoys is status of being the "big city" over places like Manning, Pinewood, and Bishopville..and would likely resist any merger (if politicians have their say) into the Columbia MSA and becoming Columbia's Little Brother.. Though personally, I would live to see a Columbia- Sumter MSA.. it would definately boost the entire region...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area