Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Here is another question, and its not close to being considered yet (only at 8.6% into Lexington and Richland Counties) but could this potentially happen with Aiken County? Since it is already a part of the Augusta MSA could it potentially become a CSA with Columbia? Again I am just throwing this out and have no clue about it.
There's an older thread here somewhere about that, and the short answer is: no time soon, probably not in any of our lifetimes. There's just entirely too much undeveloped land between Aiken and Lexington and there's no real need or incentive to develop large chunks of it. Perhaps if a big auto plant were to come there or something, but I can think of much better locations in the state for a plant like that to locate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
On a similar note, the closest metro to Columbia besides Augusta is Charlotte's metro. Since the last MSA additions earlier this year, Lancaster and Chester counties in South Carolina were added. So basically now, Charlotte and Colulmbia are MSA neighbors. I wonder if during our lifetimes we'll actually see development creep down I-77 from Rock Hill and development creeping up through Fairfield county and someday "connect" both cities? There's still A LOT of space but Columbia is growing pretty quick in the NE and Charlotte will always be growing into SC. Who knows?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
On a similar note, the closest metro to Columbia besides Augusta is Charlotte's metro. Since the last MSA additions earlier this year, Lancaster and Chester counties in South Carolina were added. So basically now, Charlotte and Colulmbia are MSA neighbors. I wonder if during our lifetimes we'll actually see development creep down I-77 from Rock Hill and development creeping up through Fairfield county and someday "connect" both cities? There's still A LOT of space but Columbia is growing pretty quick in the NE and Charlotte will always be growing into SC. Who knows?
I sure hope sprawl slows down soon. I'm a much bigger fan of dense urban development.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I doubt that very seriously. There's practically no development along 77 in Fairfield and Chester counties, and most of the development in Rock Hill along the interstate is commercial.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I sure hope sprawl slows down soon. I'm a much bigger fan of dense urban development.
Yeah, I'd like Columbia to stop where its at in terms of sprawl and start to infill more, especially the area between I-77 and I-26. Its always neat to see sprawl far out from the urban center but in the long run, I don't want to see Columbia capitulate from having its suburbia 30 miles out from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I doubt that very seriously. There's practically no development along 77 in Fairfield and Chester counties, and most of the development in Rock Hill along the interstate is commercial.
Even in the bottom quarter or so of York county is sparse, although not for long I bet. I think soon there will be some residential developments around Blythewood and maybe a few things popping up in Fairfield county but that's about it. It certainly could happen sooner rather than later with that new TV company moving into Fairfield county. Said it would bring 500 jobs with it (if I remember correctly). Add Blythewood to the mix of starting to come along and you've got a little bit of action going on in the area. But I agree, I doubt it too, but it'd be interesting to see way down the road what happens.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 AM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times
What about when Newberry County joins the Columbia MSA? It touches Laurens County, which is in the Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin-Easley (Is that the correct name?) MSA. And Lexington and Aiken counties touch. How about a Charlotte-Mecklenburg-Spartanburg-Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin-Easley-Columbia-Sumter-Augusta mega-region? And isn't Orangeburg County in the Columbia area CSA now? If it is, it touches Dorchester County, which is in the Charleston-North Charleston MSA, and we can add Charleston-North Charleston to the mega-region. And, of course, we know what that would mean: Columbia would be the center of it all! So, starting in the middle and then going clock-wise for the name of the mega-region, it will be the Columbia-Charlotte-Mecklenburg-Sumter-Charleston-North Charleston-Augusta-Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin-Easley-Spartanburg mega-region. Yay, Columbia! Go, COXX!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Hahaha Nice ^

Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
Using this site i get about 26%.

OnTheMap

To combine you need between 15% and 25% with local opinion. Over 25% it is automatically combined. Also it not a one way commute. It's combined commutes from both area's .

Updates will happen every year until 2018.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Using this site i get about 26%.

OnTheMap

To combine you need between 15% and 25% with local opinion. Over 25% it is automatically combined. Also it not a one way commute. It's combined commutes from both area's .

Updates will happen every year until 2018.
I can't open your link, but this information appears to be outdated.
OMB accepts the Review Committee’s recommendation to eliminate the use of local opinion in the qualification of combinations with employment interchange measures between 15 and 25. Adjacent core based statistical areas (CBSAs) should automatically qualify for combination if they possess an employment interchange measure of 15 or higher. OMB also accepts the recommendation to eliminate the use of local opinion in combined statistical area titling; each combined statistical area should be titled using the names of the two principal cities with the largest populations in the combined statistical area, as well as the name of the third-largest principal city, if present...Under the current system—in which adjacent metropolitan and/or micropolitan statistical areas combine automatically if they have an employment interchange measure of 25 or more, while areas with an interchange measure of less than 25 but at least 15 qualify with the support of local opinion—the universe of combined statistical areas is heterogeneous and incomplete. This calls into question the comparability of the areas. Applying only statistical rules when delineating areas—the means by which the other statistical areas delineated by OMB currently qualify— minimizes ambiguity and maximizes the replicability, transparency, and integrity of the process. OMB agrees with the committee on applying only statistical rules, automatically combining all areas with the minimum employment interchange measure of 15...

OMB accepts the Review Committee’s recommendation that OMB: (1) Limit its yearly updates after the initial delineation based on the 2010 standards to the identification of new metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas (and reflect certain changes to principal cities such as names and legal status) and (2) conduct a broader update in 2018 based on those aspects of delineation that can be performed using Census Bureau Population Estimates Program total population estimates as well as the 2011–2015 American Community Survey 5-year commuting and employment estimates...OMB supports a more limited yearly update, identifying only new metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas.2 (The identification of a new metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area can lead to the creation of a new combined statistical area or the expansion of an existing combined statistical area.) OMB would continue to reflect changes to principal cities based on changes in their names and legal status. OMB agrees with the Review Committee’s recommendation for a more comprehensive update of metropolitan and micropolitan and related statistical areas in 2018 based on those parts of delineation that can be updated using Census Bureau Population Estimates Program total population estimates and the 2011–2015 American Community Survey 5-year commuting and employment estimates.

Section 2. Central Counties
The central county or counties of a CBSA are those counties that:
(a) Have at least 50 percent of their population in urban areas of at least 10,000 population; or
(b) Have within their boundaries a population of at least 5,000 located in a single urban area of at least 10,000 population.

A central county is associated with the urbanized area or urban cluster that accounts for the largest portion of the county’s population. The central counties associated with a particular urbanized area or urban cluster are grouped to form a single cluster of central counties for purposes of measuring commuting to and from potentially qualifying outlying counties.

Section 3. Outlying Counties
A county qualifies as an outlying county of a CBSA if it meets the following commuting requirements:
(a) At least 25 percent of the workers living in the county work in the central county or counties of the CBSA; or
(b) At least 25 percent of the employment in the county is accounted for by workers who reside in the central county or counties of the CBSA.
Office of Management and Budget -- 2010 Standards for Delineating Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas

To summarize:

No local opinion is needed for an outlying county to be included in the CSA. If the commuter threshold is over 15% to a core county in an adjacent MSA, it is automatically included.

It is not a combined commute to both areas. The appropriate commuting threshold has to be met either from an outlying county into a core county (most common) or from a core county into an outlying county.

Routine MSA/CSA updates will not happen yearly. Only if a new MSA or micropolitan area is identified which results in a new or expanded CSA will a new delineation happen in a yearly review. The next new standard update for all CBSAs will occur in 2018.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM

66 posts, read 122,862 times
According to the US census Bureau, the 2012 Columbia MSA consisted of six counties with a population of 784,745. Those counties were Calhoun, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lexington, Richland, and Saluda. The 2012 Columbia Newberry Orangeburg CSA had a population of 913,797. It consisted of the six counties within the Columbia MSA and the micropolitan counties of Newberry and Orangeburg. The commuting threshold for any MSA is 25% and 15% for any CSA. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) redefined the criteria for MSAs and CSAs in 2012 and released the new updated MSA and CSA areas with the newly added and deleted counties in 2012. No counties will be added or deleted again until 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area