U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,651,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
The thread is about employment growth. I referred to it as a depression and then the Obama fanboys showed up to tout the wonderful economy because it is all about Obama's legacy.

Tell all the people unemployed and underemployed that is not officially a depression according to some arbitrary definition that an economist came up with. LOL

Actually, somebody actually referred to it as a recovery, which kind of surprised me because I thought we could at least admit it is still a recession if not a depression.
Like the above post re: Columbia's unemployment rate, and how "people are re-entering the workforce" or whatever is keeping it high, I just have to laugh at all these Obama supporters and their neatly-packaged memes. I posted here a while ago that Columbia's unemployment rate was not a good reflection of the reality there around town, but was lasted by the 'usual suspects', here.

Face it, folks, the economy is nose-diving, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I take it you must work for the government, or be a paid shill for it. No rational person believes the above.

Inflation alone has wiped out whatever the gubmint says GDP growth has been for at least 13 years, now, and inflation under Obama is absolutely horrid.
Inflation? You must be awfully young or have a short memory if you think inflation is bad.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM

9,617 posts, read 13,750,115 times
Quote:
Like the above post re: Columbia's unemployment rate, and how "people are re-entering the workforce" or whatever is keeping it high, I just have to laugh at all these Obama supporters and their neatly-packaged memes. I posted here a while ago that Columbia's unemployment rate was not a good reflection of the reality there around town, but was lasted by the 'usual suspects', here.

Because the area saw a six tenths of a percentage point drop in unemployment month over month and added over 7,000 jobs in the past year?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,503,741 times
Quote:
I take it you must work for the government, or be a paid shill for it. No rational person believes the above.

Inflation alone has wiped out whatever the gubmint says GDP growth has been for at least 13 years, now, and inflation under Obama is absolutely horrid.
Again, just because someone wants something to be true does not make it true.

Inflation at 53-Year Low Belies U.S. Demand Vigor - Bloomberg

June 12, 2013

Some Federal Reserve policy makers are citing the lowest inflation rate in at least five decades as an alarm bell for the economy. Economists at UBS Securities LLC say the figure isnít as troubling as it appears. Consumer prices climbed 1.1 percent in the 12 months through April, according to a measure watched by the Fed that excludes food and fuel -- matching the smallest increase since records began in 1960. Thatís down from 1.9 percent in the year ended April 2012. Most of the decline is in industries such as apparel and health care, where consumer demand is growing, said Sam Coffin, an economist at UBS Securities. Among the reasons for slowing inflation are improved efficiency and a stronger dollar, which puts downward pressure on prices of imported goods such as cars and clothing.

(And for the record, I work in the private sector and pay money to the government, not the other way around.)

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,894,356 times
Quote:

Fact is that any post about unemployment rates related to underemployed and folks reentering the workforce can be applied to any area of the country, posting this specifically about Columbia is misrepresenting the local market. But, based on your neo con posts and garbage posts about Columbia's office market, I am not sure the "usual suspects" were wrong. Would love to see what inflation numbers you are using.....are you adding in commodities? Are you trying to interpret the gap between long and short term interest rates as an indicator of the inflationary environment? or, are you reading the Feds notes about QEII as an indicator of hyper inflation?

Seriously, your post relative to Columbia have always been way off from reality. It is clear you don't care for the city for some reason but, your interpretation of the local economy is baseless and has always been wrong. My favorite was that the office market had terribly high vacancy rates. Of course, a little detail work would easily show that class C space, The Palmetto Center, was driving the numbers. Class A space is at a very healthy rate to the point where new construction is possibly in the near term. Class C vacancy rates were reduced greatly with the conversion of the Palmetto Center. Instead, your post was more of an AM radio rant.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,503,741 times
Not sure what the IRS has to do with inflation statistics. Regardless, now that we know more of the facts, the basis for using the word "scandal" has pretty much collapsed.

Fuel prices aren't really "ever increasing." They been pretty static in the range of $3.50-3.80 for the past 4-5 years. Not much we can do about it since those prices are determined by the global market.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 AM

While the Myrtle Beach MSA had the state's biggest jobs growth rate in 2013, the Columbia MSA closed out the year with the biggest increase in jobs at 6,200 and a 1.71% rate of growth, the most in both the number of jobs and growth rate among the state's three largest MSA's.

http://dew.sc.gov/documents/lmi-mont...ember_2013.pdf

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times
^Another first post?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM

That was an informative link two posts up. As always, it focused on the same ole two-dimension concept of how the state is growing. They could have mentioned that Columbia was gaining the most jobs, despite the fact that it has never been the state's main manufacturing area, since they didn't seem to think the state's history of relying so heavily on low-paying manufacturing jobs has been wise, and despite the fact that government jobs have been cut.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM

121 more manufacturing jobs and new North American headquarters are coming to the Columbia MSA.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/263...irfield-County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or