U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

221 posts, read 189,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Yes, and Clemson was also known for cheating and placing football above all else. The BOT still has it in their mission statement for the school to win titles in football, sad.

Don't care where you have lived, based on you comments here using 100 different names, you have a hard time with facts.
You are Vhammod or Vhammond, my Indian friend.

Clemson is ranked higher academically than USC. USC is really just for chicks who want to study English and sociology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Same here in Charlotte, record membership levels for local club chapters. I think NYC is doing well too.

And, from a personal observation, parents of South Charlotte high schools like Myers Park are telling me that USC is now one of the desirable state schools to attend. That could explain why the 2017 class has about a 50/50 split between SC and non SC residents. The yield of the in liming class was higher this year meaning more folks accepted the admission offer.

On a side note, the renovations to older historic buildings look terrific.
LOL, how can you complain about CLemson charging higher tuition than SC when SC is taking half their freshman class from out of state? They just chasing that $$$$$, it's not about educating kids in this state. LOL

I wouldn't doubt if this was Darla Moore's idea.

I remember watching The Simpsons and Homer told Lisa he was going to have to punish her and she asked "You are going to send me to the University of South Carolina?"" LOL

Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The Washington DC Gamecock Alumni Club is big enough that this year there is a second group in Northern Virginia!

Because of the Honors Program and International Business Program, South Carolina has become a very popular choice in the DC area.

Go Gamecocks!
LOL, I lived in the DC metro, they have no idea Cola exists. People in DC are refined and they seek refinement, and they could never find this in a dirty south city like Cola.

There is an alumni club pretty much anywhere for any large university so that is silly thing to bring up.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I think that other than what each school offers in terms of majors and specialization (i.e. USC more business Clemson more engineering) your exactly right. It is about who you know more and more than what you know. Now on the same token who you know might be reflective on what school you graduated from but overall that is the ultimate key.

I also think that a lot of times (not all of course) students choose to go to USC or Clemson because they grew up fans and make the wrong choice for their educational goals based off of that. For me I always wanted to go to Clemson and have been a fan since I was little, but I also wanted to go into Mass Communications and felt that I would be lost at a big school so I went to Francis Marion and was able to gain much more there for what I wanted to do. As much as I love Clemson and would have loved to follow in my family's footsteps by going there, it would have been the absolute wrong decision for me.
USC business Clemson engineering is simply because Clemson started out with more engineering and technical focus and USC started out with business, and they've touted themselves for these programs, but neither one has an advantage over the other. Engineering and business is the same stuff any college you go to. USC engineering program might be better in that it is smaller and you probably get to the know the professors better than at Clemson.

I doubt you would have been lost at Clemson, your class sizes in mass communicatino aren't going to be any bigger than they were at Francis Marion. You might have a few freshman lectures with like 300 people in there but once you get into your major that won't be an issue.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,893,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
You are Vhammod or Vhammond, my Indian friend.

Clemson is ranked higher academically than USC. USC is really just for chicks who want to study English and sociology.
Dream on....

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,141,347 times
Quote:
I doubt there is much interest in Gamecocks outside of state of SC. There are some people who are interested in Clowney but that died last night I think. Gamecocks offense is too boring for them to have a bunch of fans around the country.

USC takes many more students ever year than Clemson so makes sense they have a bigger fan base but it is defintely pretty even throughout the state. This map is a joke.
The map is based on Facebook page likes for various teams. I guess a lot of Clemson fans just don't have internet access. USC's fan base is much larger than Clemson's and the gap is widening. Here is another survey that points out the discrepancy.

College Football's Battleground States - WSJ.com

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The map is based on Facebook page likes for various teams. I guess a lot of Clemson fans just don't have internet access. USC's fan base is much larger than Clemson's and the gap is widening. Here is another survey that points out the discrepancy.

College Football's Battleground States - WSJ.com
Paid for by University of South Carolina.

I don't think number facebook likes means anything, a lot of people hate Facebook even some of the people who used to be on it all the time. All it means is SC has more fans than Clemson who use Facebook AND make a point of liking teams on there.

Nobody outside of the state outside of alumni care about SC. It's just another college.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,141,347 times
Quote:
Paid for by University of South Carolina.

I don't think number facebook likes means anything, a lot of people hate Facebook even some of the people who used to be on it all the time. All it means is SC has more fans than Clemson who use Facebook AND make a point of liking teams on there.

Nobody outside of the state outside of alumni care about SC. It's just another college.
And who cares about Clemson? Nobody, period.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

29,749 posts, read 27,182,702 times
Quote:
LOL, I lived in the DC metro, they have no idea Cola exists. People in DC are refined and they seek refinement, and they could never find this in a dirty south city like Cola.

There is an alumni club pretty much anywhere for any large university so that is silly thing to bring up.
That says more about them then about Columbia. At the very least, everyone should have learned the state capitals in elementary school.

Furthermore, a portion of Black DC natives in particular have roots in SC, due to it having been a destination city during the Great Migration--not to mention the SC natives or those otherwise affiliated with the state that have moved there more recently.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That says more about them then about Columbia. At the very least, everyone should have learned the state capitals in elementary school.

Furthermore, a portion of Black DC natives in particular have roots in SC, due to it having been a destination city during the Great Migration--not to mention the SC natives or those otherwise affiliated with the state that have moved there more recently.
well you can say that about every city. we all got ties to somewhere else at this point.

Is it really referred to as the Great Migration? I never heard that expression before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area