U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen these billboards around Columbia? I believe I remember seeing one off of I-20, near the I-77 interchange. I'm not terribly fond of seeing a billboard like that but I suppose Charlotteans didn't care too much for the Gamecock Club billboard right outside of downtown Charlotte last year. I remember seeing it as I drove into Charlotte for the Carolina-ECU game. Perhaps we should put a Riverbanks Zoo billboard up there in return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 PM

6,629 posts, read 14,130,958 times
I think there have been "famously hot" billboards up there. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Charlotte. They're not nearly as big as they think they are.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 PM

29,689 posts, read 27,123,188 times
There have been billboards for Riverbanks in the Charlotte area for years now. Can't remember any in Charlotte proper but plenty in York County along I-77 south.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 AM

Interesting. Good to know we try to market to them up there- seems to work. Matt- I don't care for Charlotte either way. I do have this weird thing though that I dislike cities that are near state lines. It irks me for some reason. And Charlotte irks me in that regard. Like it has some sort of identity crisis and will be always sortove tied in with South Carolina even though its in North Carolina.

Its like Charlotte has achieved a lot, but is ascribed certain not-so-cool things in my opinion.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,202,256 times
I live in Charlotte and have seen about four billboards for Columbia famously hot and charlottes #1 day trip is columbia's riverbanks zoo

Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 AM

29,689 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Interesting. Good to know we try to market to them up there- seems to work. Matt- I don't care for Charlotte either way. I do have this weird thing though that I dislike cities that are near state lines. It irks me for some reason. And Charlotte irks me in that regard. Like it has some sort of identity crisis and will be always sortove tied in with South Carolina even though its in North Carolina.

Its like Charlotte has achieved a lot, but is ascribed certain not-so-cool things in my opinion.
That's very...different, especially since some of the coolest cities in the country are near state lines: Savannah, Chattanooga, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans, Cincinnati, DC, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,509,981 times
I dont mind seeing them as a matter of fact I think it is reflective on how relevant of a market we are to Charlotte tourism. Its not that Charlotte is trying to taunt Columbia or thinks Columbia is undeserved because if that were the case they wouldn't need to advertise here because we would all go up there for everything already. I also see the GSP billboards in a similar light minus that they reference Charlotte rather than CAE. None the less, it shows that they see our market is important enough to the success of their airport to spend that kind of money here to target us. That should be a message to airlines on how relevant our market really is.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's very...different, especially since some of the coolest cities in the country are near state lines: Savannah, Chattanooga, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans, Cincinnati, DC, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.
Yeah its odd. I guess because I've lived in an area that's centrally located I've grown much more fond of centrally located cities. For instance, the state of Missouri has two major cities and look at where they both fall: on the state line, St. Louis and Kansas City. I mean, I don't hold anything against these cities. Just an irrational... thing, that I have lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I dont mind seeing them as a matter of fact I think it is reflective on how relevant of a market we are to Charlotte tourism. Its not that Charlotte is trying to taunt Columbia or thinks Columbia is undeserved because if that were the case they wouldn't need to advertise here because we would all go up there for everything already. I also see the GSP billboards in a similar light minus that they reference Charlotte rather than CAE. None the less, it shows that they see our market is important enough to the success of their airport to spend that kind of money here to target us. That should be a message to airlines on how relevant our market really is.
That's true. But I also get a sense that Charlotte is this powerful entity that's swallowing up everything in its path to become dependent on it. Charlotte has already added 2 SC counties to their MSA. I still want Columbia to stand on its own and have its own attractions/dining/shopping that someone wouldn't need to travel an hour up I-77 to fulfill their needs. Not saying Columbia will ever become a place that offers EVERYTHING or just as much as Charlotte, but I don't want it to be seen connected to a "host" city like Charlotte.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,509,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Yeah its odd. I guess because I've lived in an area that's centrally located I've grown much more fond of centrally located cities. For instance, the state of Missouri has two major cities and look at where they both fall: on the state line, St. Louis and Kansas City. I mean, I don't hold anything against these cities. Just an irrational... thing, that I have lol

That's true. But I also get a sense that Charlotte is this powerful entity that's swallowing up everything in its path to become dependent on it. Charlotte has already added 2 SC counties to their MSA. I still want Columbia to stand on its own and have its own attractions/dining/shopping that someone wouldn't need to travel an hour up I-77 to fulfill their needs. Not saying Columbia will ever become a place that offers EVERYTHING or just as much as Charlotte, but I don't want it to be seen connected to a "host" city like Charlotte.
I dont think we will ever have to worry about that. First of all Columbia is far enough away to not be a part of Charlotte and though our burbs and theirs keep sprawling towards each other, there is nothing in between. The other thing is that Columbia is big enough to stand on its own even with its proximity to Charlotte. Look at places like Providence RI and Boston. Boston is much bigger than Charlotte and they are much closer together but Providence is its own city with its own stuff.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM

4,533 posts, read 6,367,251 times
It's just marketing. There is one in Greenville too. Electronic billboard headed out of downtown near the Bilo Center. It cycles through with other advertisements.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or