U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times
Reputation: 1830

Advertisements

Of the people against this additional funding for the library, how many of you even live in Richland County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM
 
206 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Of the people against this additional funding for the library, how many of you even live in Richland County?
we aren't against additional funding, just think the funding should come from the users. Obviously Democrats don't understand that argument because more taxes is like a drug for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeffrey View Post
we aren't against additional funding, just think the funding should come from the users. Obviously Democrats don't understand that argument because more taxes is like a drug for you.
Oh yeah, I love paying taxes. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM
 
206 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Oh yeah, I love paying taxes. Good grief.
you don't ever oppose do you? Nothing stops you from opposing them. You always see the need for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
 
Location: WI
3,820 posts, read 8,895,348 times
Reputation: 2257
I've been voting since 1980 and in that period i've gone both red and blue. Didnt seem to matter in the end, as i always paid too much for taxes (especially back home), my health insurance was always too high, and so on......
I used to blame it on "x" president, then "x" congress, but no matter how i complained or how i voted, for me the results seemed the same. Cant say that's how it is for everyone else, just how i've seen it play out for myself.

Heck, before i even complain here about 20 bucks for a library fee, i have to deal with a water company wanting to raise rates though here we're down a well and have water issues..... yet somehow we'll still end up paying more for less....


sorry for the sidetrack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
 
29 posts, read 39,765 times
Reputation: 22
Please correct the spelling of Library in the forum title. thank ya kindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
 
206 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I've been voting since 1980 and in that period i've gone both red and blue. Didnt seem to matter in the end, as i always paid too much for taxes (especially back home), my health insurance was always too high, and so on......
I used to blame it on "x" president, then "x" congress, but no matter how i complained or how i voted, for me the results seemed the same. Cant say that's how it is for everyone else, just how i've seen it play out for myself.

Heck, before i even complain here about 20 bucks for a library fee, i have to deal with a water company wanting to raise rates though here we're down a well and have water issues..... yet somehow we'll still end up paying more for less....


sorry for the sidetrack

if you care about taxation levels, you need to vote out Democrats. To say it doesn't matter on the issue isn't really true. Both Reagan and Bush cut taxes. So did JFK who was really more of a Republican in modern terms. Most Republicans oppose higher property taxes and taxes on things like gasoline. You just said you want higher property taxes so doesn't seem like you really think your taxes are too high.

Last edited by Goeffrey; 10-02-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 AM
 
Location: WI
3,820 posts, read 8,895,348 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeffrey View Post
if you care about taxation levels, you need to vote out Democrats. To say it doesn't matter on the issue isn't really true. Both Reagan and Bush cut taxes. So did JFK who was really more of a Republican in modern terms. Most Republicans oppose higher property taxes and taxes on things like gasoline. You just said you want higher property taxes so doesn't seem like you really think your taxes are too high.
if we are talking property (and even the add'l sales) taxes here, i believe SC already has republican rule in the state houses as well as the gov.... with the majority of the prop tax going to school districts. Not sure where any prez comes into play there.
BTW SC property tax can be deceiving in it's values. For home tax, it is lower then other locations, in fact for us nearly half what we paid back in WI. But once the car/boat prop taxes are added in then it gets a bit closer. And as i stated i have voted republican in the past (Bush in fact) and where i was at that time my home taxes were the highest in some years. So while the federal gov't can determine some taxes levied on us, again who sits in the oval office didnt seem to affect my property taxes.

But instead of getting a thread closed for being off course, lets get back to the library and why we should vote yes or no on the add'l monies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 AM
 
206 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
if we are talking property (and even the add'l sales) taxes here, i believe SC already has republican rule in the state houses as well as the gov.... with the majority of the prop tax going to school districts. Not sure where any prez comes into play there.
BTW SC property tax can be deceiving in it's values. For home tax, it is lower then other locations, in fact for us nearly half what we paid back in WI. But once the car/boat prop taxes are added in then it gets a bit closer. And as i stated i have voted republican in the past (Bush in fact) and where i was at that time my home taxes were the highest in some years. So while the federal gov't can determine some taxes levied on us, again who sits in the oval office didnt seem to affect my property taxes.

But instead of getting a thread closed for being off course, lets get back to the library and why we should vote yes or no on the add'l monies.
It is Democrats who push for higher property taxes, maybe a few Republicans go along with it but if it is Republican controlled, Democrats still going to get some things they want so Republicans can get other things. So you are using a red herring here. I never said president has anything to do with property taxes in SC so don't worry about me criticizing Dear Leader on this, he's ok on this one. LOL

Your overall taxation levels had to be reduced when BUsh cut taxes, even if your property taxes were not reduced. So I don't understand your point. If you vote for Democrats in your state, you are most likely going to pay higher property taxes because they believe throwing more money at schools improves education although that has never been demonstrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM
 
13 posts, read 13,919 times
Reputation: 13
Don't care about Republicans or Democrats, just my wallet.
I just checked my Property Taxes. I already pay for Richland County libraries every year.
Sorry, I will be voting NO MORE! I am Taxed Enough Already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top