U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,219 times

Advertisements

My daughter's new employer mentioned areas of Irmo Vista and Forest Acres as areas for her to rent an apartment. My daughter is single 30 no children and in the medical health profession. She's relocating from small town in Texas but loved spending time in Austin as it has big city life. I'm leaning toward Irmo because it's close to her job and appears to be a safe area outside of...but close enough to city life. Any input would be very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM

6,455 posts, read 13,357,175 times
I'd recommend the Vista area - if she works in Irmo she'll be driving against traffic during rush hour. Irmo is just a cookie cutter suburb - someone in her age bracket would like the Vista area of downtown or even Main Street.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,792,084 times
I agree. She won't get much out of Irmo. If she lives in the Vista, she is in the middle of the entertainment district and will be surrounded by other young professionals. Rent will likely be higher. But if she is driving out to the suburbs to work, then her commute is against the usual rush. She'll be heading out of town when everybody else is heading in and vise versa on the way home.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM

9,362 posts, read 12,703,112 times
Where's she leaning toward? 30, single, no children... suburbs? Nah.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM

538 posts, read 667,169 times
As someone who is 30, married, and currently lives in Irmo...Irmo is a wonderful place to live but not a wonderful place to be single and a newcomer. She'll have more fun and meet a lot more people living in the Vista or on Main St.

I used to live in-town and commute to Irmo, and it was easy. Much easier than driving into town for dinner and drinks and worrying about how to get home.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM

91 posts, read 107,510 times
I would say if she's going to rent, look in the Vista first. If that is too "in the city" than start moving out to Shandon, Forest Acres and some of the close in areas that are safe and desirable. Of the ones she listed, Irmo would be my last choice, mainly due to distance and lack of desirability for a young single person.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 PM

9,362 posts, read 12,703,112 times
teresagraven, your daughter might want to see this to help her make her decision.

'End of suburbia' may nearly be upon us: Sam Zell

Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM

776 posts, read 1,208,933 times
My daughter (24) lives downtown and will have it no other way. Its a little on the pricey side but its close to ever thing and actually walks to many chores most of us jump in the car for.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,352,440 times
Vista/Main St no doubt! I am 25 and live on Main and grew up in Irmo where my parents still live and I can tell you that Irmo is one of the best places to raise a family and I certainly had a fortunate childhood there, but as for being a single young professional, the Vista/ Main is by far the best.

Tell her to check out Capitol Places, Canalside, Vista Commons, Palms on Main, all right downtown, awesome and safe. Also check out some of the rental companies around here since there are a lot of condos downtown that people rent out, Parkside is a really nice one.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or