U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM

24 posts, read 64,962 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking to relocate to the greater Columbia area and the one thing really holding us back is what we have heard from several of our current neighbors that have moved from that area. They have all said that it is very hard to sell a home there. One had their home on the market for 2 years and I don't believe it was a case of being overpriced. I don't understand why this is. We just want to make sure that if we did move there that we wouldnt be stuck if it doesnt work out. Also, any opinions on the Newberry or Little Mountain area? How remote? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM

9,049 posts, read 18,006,148 times
Well our market is still stable. We've never been a bubble and have steady growth rates because we have business/industry, a major university, retirement, and a military base. If a home took 2 years to sell then there was something else going on there. It could have been price, condition, location, terms, or marketing but that is another discussion.

Our average days on market is ~90-120 and our most homes sell within 3-5% of list price. Due to the number of homes currently on the market and the spec homes being offered by the builders, it's a great time to buy here. Homes are still selling in similar #'s but there is an increase of inventory so the ones selling generally are the ones in the best condition and the others are just sitting on the market.

Little Mountain is pretty remote. Newberry is larger and self contained where you won't have to travel to shop as much but is 30 minute trip to Columbia/ Irmo area and 45 minutes to downtown Columbia. Newberry does have a small private college.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,032,712 times
I'm a buyer so I think that the market is GREAT! At the risk of stating the obvious, with all the inventory on the market only houses that are in great shape and priced right are going to sell. We've looked at at least a dozen houses and I'm shocked at what some people are willing to show and the prices that they willing to ask. Some of these folks act as if it is still 2005 and then they wonder why their house has been on the market 180+ days.

Last edited by Dave O; 11-19-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Tuscany

Thanks for the info. We also have been amazed at the condition many people leave thier homes in while they are on the market. I do understand why many of them don't sell right away or get very low offers. We are looking to buy a home with 20 or more acres and that isn't easy. It usually puts you out in the middle of nowhere with some pretty questionable surroundings. We currently live in the Charlotte NC area and would stay here but we can't find what we are looking for and it seems that the Columbia metro area could possibly suit us.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Thanks for the info. We also have been amazed at the condition many people leave thier homes in while they are on the market. I do understand why many of them don't sell right away or get very low offers. We are looking to buy a home with 20 or more acres and that isn't easy. It usually puts you out in the middle of nowhere with some pretty questionable surroundings. We currently live in the Charlotte NC area and would stay here but we can't find what we are looking for and it seems that the Columbia metro area could possibly suit us.
That's doable but of course how much you have to spend will play a role in where you end up. Places that are most likely to offer what you want are Pelion, Gaston, Sandy Run, Swansea, Gilbert, Little Mountain, Newberry, Elgin, Lugoff, and Eastover. All are rural. You can get closer, but the price goes up.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 AM

331 posts, read 1,032,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
We are looking to buy a home with 20 or more acres and that isn't easy. It usually puts you out in the middle of nowhere with some pretty questionable surroundings. We currently live in the Charlotte NC area and would stay here but we can't find what we are looking for and it seems that the Columbia metro area could possibly suit us.
You don't have to leave CLT. You can easily find 20+ acres in Cabarrus County but you'll pay a minimum of $600k for the land alone.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,282,676 times
You can also find that in certain parts of York or Lancaster counties. But you'd be farther out, whereas in Columbia, you might have better access to the city with that much acreage in parts of Richland, Calhoun, or Lexington counties.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks to all that have replied so far. Any info on the Fairfield county area? We visited the Newberry area this weekend and parts were nice and many areas seemed not so nice.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM

I don't know a lot about Fairfield Co. I'd suggest rural Lexinton Co, either in the Pelion, Gaston, Sandy Run or Richland Co. in Blythewood, Elgin, Lugoff, or SE Columbia. Maybe Chapin depending on how much you are looking to spend.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,222 times
Brandon -

Thanks for the good information. I know folks that work in Orangeburg and commute from Columbia or Charleston everyday. Why is that? Is there something about Orangeburg that makes it an undesirable place to live? If you do work in Orangeburg, what is the best part of Columbia to live in to reduce the commute time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area