Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM

377 posts, read 709,793 times

Advertisements

The fair in Montgomery was one of the saddest things I'd ever been to when I was younger, and I'm not surprised that it hasn't improved. The Georgia National Fair in Perry would have been a much better bet, and closer to you to boot.

I went today and the crowds were pretty tremendous. Most people I've seen at this fair in the seven years I've been going.

I bought my tickets online and also only paid $7 apiece, and I'm nowhere near 55 or older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,583 times
It's a gouge zone, there should be a law against the prices they charge.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 AM

55 posts, read 83,008 times
We went to the fair on Sunday the 13th, Our first time to SC fair. We loved it! Free parking was a nice perk, the Agriculture events were entertaining, you got to see alot about our local farms with the displays. Food was pretty typical fair food, greasy and overpriced, rides covered all age groups. It was extremely clean and security was very visible. Had a great time and would go again next year for sure!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
Always love it.... We went on Sunday afternoon. The exhibits seemed to have shrunk a bit but, for the price of admission, it is a great way to spend an afternoon or evening. Hubby and I did laugh about missing the stupid BINGO ...they haven't had that in a few years now. The prizes were so cheesy but we still had so much fun. The state fair is just so nostaligic and while it is sad to have to enter through a metal detector now, I won't let troublemaking scumbags take the yearly family activity away from us Support the SC State Fair!!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Does anyone know a way, apart from just buying another ticket and going again, to find the name of an artist on display in the Cantey building? There's a piece I wanted to surprise my wife with, but I couldn't very well have surprised her with her standing right there. It's sort of a cartoony piece, on the very back wall of the professional artists, titled Pompeii, and it is just absolutely delightful.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM

55 posts, read 83,008 times
Default Info booth

Was there an information booth when you first enter that building? I kind of remember a desk or booth to the left of the doors when you go in. There were so many great paintings, they have posted the Fine Art exhibit results on the fair website, but they are not by name just the entry number. If you noticed an exhibit number on the painting it might help you find out who the artist is.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM

I tried snapping a picture of the information card, but I was trying to be sneaky about it and wound up with a mighty blur instead. Maybe I'l be able to head over tomorrow at lunch and do the free lunch token deal and can try again then.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM

611 posts, read 921,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
Does anyone know a way, apart from just buying another ticket and going again, to find the name of an artist on display in the Cantey building? There's a piece I wanted to surprise my wife with, but I couldn't very well have surprised her with her standing right there. It's sort of a cartoony piece, on the very back wall of the professional artists, titled Pompeii, and it is just absolutely delightful.
I got a clear photo of it last night.

Pompeii

Artist: J. Spencer Shull

$175

Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM

I'd hug you for that, but it'd be weird. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
The 2013 State Fair won some worthwhile awards.

SC State Fair Wins Some Big Blue Ribbons of Its Own 
 | MidlandsBiz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area