Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 33,799 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the area and are considering moving into one of these high school districts. What can you tell me about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,985 times
River Bluff is brand new and looks like a small college. It's on Corley Mill road, which runs from 378 in Lexington to Highway 6 right next to the Lake Murray Dam. It's a nice area, but I don't know much about the school. Lexington is off US1 going out towards Gilbert, it's a good school, growing like crazy, but the traffic on Long Pond Road and 1 is not cool. Chapin is up I-26 on the other side of Lake Murray, and a much smaller town. Chapin is in the Lexington/Richland 5 School District, that is I'm fairly sure, the No. one District in the state. Their all nice areas, mainly because of the lake, but I would choose Chapin. My kids go to Dutch Fork by the way, it's also a good school. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 AM

Yes, that was the other one I had heard of... Dutch Fork. Heard excellent things about it. We have two children in elementary school and one in middle, but most likely we'll finish the year here in Charlotte and my husband will move ahead to the area. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
OP, we relocated here as empty nesters so the schools werent a need for our child (but a good district is important for any resale). We did hear very positive things on Chapin and the Lex-Rich 5 system overall when we first got here in 09; and continue to hear those positives from friends to this day.
Is a home location important for work, as far as driving, etc?
We chose Chapin mostly as we wanted to live near/on the lake, and working from home meant daily travel wasnt a concern. But if work is based in Columbia or Lexington, then one may want to consider living closer to those areas rather then over near Chapin.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 AM

My husband will actually be working on site in Jenkinsville. I have no idea what side of Columbia that would be closest too. We currently live in North Charlotte and are accustomed to large schools, but are entertaining the idea of being in a smaller environment. That is why I mentioned Chapin. We have two children in elementary school and one who will enter high school next year.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tates96 View Post
My husband will actually be working on site in Jenkinsville. I have no idea what side of Columbia that would be closest too. We currently live in North Charlotte and are accustomed to large schools, but are entertaining the idea of being in a smaller environment. That is why I mentioned Chapin. We have two children in elementary school and one who will enter high school next year.
That would be just north of Chapin so that area could make good sense for your family. Note that there are many neighborhoods around but not in Chapin that could be several miles out of town near the lake but still in those schools (our 'hood is maybe 6 miles from town but still in the district).
Lake Murray elementary nearby seems sought after for those with smaller kids.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
Chapin or Dutch Fork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area