Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:09 AM

8 posts, read 15,030 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Columbia or Florida, but I would be taking a significant pay cut. I hear the cost of living is low in SC, but taxes in SC seem ridiculously high. Lower pay plus high taxes, the math does not add up, especially when I could pay no income taxes. Am I off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM

129 posts, read 236,321 times
SC state income tax is cheap, but I noticed in Columbia itself the sales taxes are higher than here in NY - 10%, including a 1% transportation tax. A place I ate dinner at had a little sign explaining it all. Makes me wonder if there are separate income taxes besides the state one.

Of course, compared a no-income-tax state, any tax will probably seem high.

Now people I know who've lived in Florida, some have told me Florida has all kinds of other little fees and things that they get you with to make up for the lack of an income tax. So you may want to work out what all your bills will be in both places in advance to really compare them.

SC is one of the cheapest states for gas, last Monday I passed several places under $3.00, as low as $2.87 cash at one place near Rock Hill.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac59 View Post
SC state income tax is cheap, but I noticed in Columbia itself the sales taxes are higher than here in NY - 10%, including a 1% transportation tax. A place I ate dinner at had a little sign explaining it all. Makes me wonder if there are separate income taxes besides the state one.

Of course, compared a no-income-tax state, any tax will probably seem high.

Now people I know who've lived in Florida, some have told me Florida has all kinds of other little fees and things that they get you with to make up for the lack of an income tax. So you may want to work out what all your bills will be in both places in advance to really compare them.

SC is one of the cheapest states for gas, last Monday I passed several places under $3.00, as low as $2.87 cash at one place near Rock Hill.
That tax is only on dining out/prepared foods and accommodations. Property taxes are very low here.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
Overall, things are cheaper here than they were in Florida. Housing is significantly less expensive here than in Florida metro areas. Property taxes are lower, gas is cheaper, health insurance costs me a lot less here.

Car taxes (and insurance) are a LOT higher here, though.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 15,030 times
Can't get over that 7% income and sales tax, ridiculous. It appears SC has some of the highest income and sales taxes in the nation, yet one of the lowest per capita tax burdens. Must be a dead beat welfare state. Bet Wally World is packed when disability and welfare checks are dispersed. Will be renting so not worried about prop taxes, drive cheap car, looks like Florida is winning.

Last edited by Balzack; 10-06-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzack View Post
Can't get over that 7% income and sales tax, ridiculous. It appears SC has some of the highest income and sales taxes in the nation, yet one of the lowest per capita tax burdens. Must be a dead beat welfare state. Bet Wally World is packed when disability and welfare checks are dispersed. Will be renting so not worried about prop taxes, drive cheap car, looks like Florida is winning.
You do realize that renters pay for the property taxes indirectly through their rent, don't you?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 AM

129 posts, read 236,321 times
I have no idea where you get the idea that SC is among the highest in the nation. All the sources I'm finding show SC is actually 41st for overall tax burden, around 29th for income taxes and 35th for sales taxes. Florida, on the other hand, while 45th in income taxes, is 10th in sales taxes, and 44th overall. Which, frankly, is fairly close to being a wash; if you drive much, just the difference in gas prices alone probably makes them about even.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 AM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
You don't mention where in Florida your opportunity is, but I got news for you about Florida - unless you're moving to one of the three major cities and living downtown, you're going to find more pure white trash there than anywhere else. More than South Carolina, more than Alabama, even more than Mississippi. Walmart on the first of the month is a terrifying place to behold down there. Not trying to dissuade you from a decision you seem to have already made, just trying to bring down your expectations a little.

On the plus side, you can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting nine Publixes and three meddling old retirees screeching at you for swinging a dead cat.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzack View Post
I have a job opportunity in Columbia or Florida, but I would be taking a significant pay cut. I hear the cost of living is low in SC, but taxes in SC seem ridiculously high. Lower pay plus high taxes, the math does not add up, especially when I could pay no income taxes. Am I off base?
not sure what you are comparing SC taxes to, but in most instances they are low. Property tax on homes? Cheaper then many locations. There is a property tax levied on vehicles, but we pay less overall prop tax here then we did in WI and this includes a nicer home now and tax paid on multiple vehicles.
Sales tax isnt low in general but sales tax on cars is capped at $300 (try paying a full sales tax% on the actual purchase price of a car and you'll agree $300 is low). As stated, gas tax is very low.

To be honest, if your view of SC is skewed so bad, why even consider it?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 AM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
When you eat out in the city of Columbia, you pay a 2% hospitality tax in addition to a 1% transportation tax in addition to a 7% state sales tax: 10%. You pay 2% on non-prepared food at the grocery store, 1% for transportation and 1% to offset a decrease in property taxes. You pay 10% on prepared food at the grocery store because it's considered competition to restaurants.

Someone feel free to correct this if I'm wrong. It's complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area