Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:03 PM

422 posts, read 486,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Thanks for you're constructive comments on that, I am learning so much and your the one two thank!

Furthermore, you still didn't answer my question, would YOU not be fearful of you and your family on Main St when you're approached by someone continuing to ask for change?
Unless I feel there is a legitimate threat to my or my family's safety, some homeless person continuing to ask for change would not make me fearful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Unless I feel there is a legitimate threat to my or my family's safety, some homeless person continuing to ask for change would not make me fearful.
Right, you say that now.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Right, you say that now.

I say that from experience. Imo, it's an overreaction, especially for a man, to be in fear for your life because a homeless person asked you for money after you told him/her no.

Last edited by AddaVisser; 11-14-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I say that from experience. Imo, it's an overreaction, especially for a man, to be in fear for your life because a homeless person asked you for money after you told him/her no.
Well there is my point right there, fear is subjective. Sure you may not be in fear of that, but someone might be. This exact thing happened to my friend's girlfriend down there and she was fearful and rightfully so. You or I may not have been fearful in that situation but her and many other might be, thus by the letter of the law, would qualify as harassment.

I think alot of times it may be an over reaction for some as well, but thats just my opinion as well, not the law as there is so much grey area with it.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 PM

You clearly don't even understand the letter of harassment laws so I wish you would stop.

The law states there must be a reasonable fear. Someone simply asking you for money after you already said no doesn't create a reasonable fear for your safety so it does not qualify for harassment the same way someone walking behind you in public wouldn't automatically constitute stalking.

Scenario 1:
Homeless Person: Can you spare some change?
Person B: No!
Homeless Person: Not even a few cents, I just need to get "X"
Person B: I said...cut off by homeless person
Homeless Person: Come on just like 75 cents
Person B: NO!
Homeless Person: A$$hole

Scenario 2:

Homeless Person: Yeah you can, I see you all the time you always have money
Person B: I said No!
Homeless Person: You can either give it to me or...
Person B: Or what?
Homeless Person: Or I will take it. I'll f##k you up!

In scenario one the homeless person may have been everything between annoying and rude, but no harassment occurred nor did the situation create a reasonable level of fear for Person B. There was no threat to the person or the person's family. However in scenario 2 the homeless person is clearly making threats to the person's safety so there is a reasonable level of fear.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I don't carry cash and that's what I tell anyone that asks for money. I've never had any issues after that.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You clearly don't even understand the letter of harassment laws so I wish you would stop.

The law states there must be a reasonable fear. Someone simply asking you for money after you already said no doesn't create a reasonable fear for your safety so it does not qualify for harassment the same way someone walking behind you in public wouldn't automatically constitute stalking.

Scenario 1:
Homeless Person: Not even a few cents, I just need to get "X"
Person B: I said...cut off by homeless person
Homeless Person: Come on just like 75 cents
Person B: NO!
Homeless Person: A$$hole

Scenario 2:

Homeless Person: Yeah you can, I see you all the time you always have money
Person B: I said No!
Homeless Person: You can either give it to me or...
Person B: Or what?
Homeless Person: Or I will take it. I'll f##k you up!

In scenario one the homeless person may have been everything between annoying and rude, but no harassment occurred nor did the situation create a reasonable level of fear for Person B. There was no threat to the person or the person's family. However in scenario 2 the homeless person is clearly making threats to the person's safety so there is a reasonable level of fear.
Look im not saying I disagree with you that homeless person repeatedly asking for change creates a reasonable fear for our safety in our opinions and to be honest I have never once been scared of a homeless person given the fact that I am very confident I can physically handle them if need be. What I dont understand and perhaps you can provide some insight here, is how is "reasonable fear" not subjective? I know to you and I situation one would not be enough to cause reasonable fear for either of us, but it very well could with someone else like my friends girlfriend who is a tiny 22 year old female and could not fend for herself if situation one or two got physical and with her not knowing what could happen, that would be enough for her to be reasonably fearful for her safety so the way the law reads its incredibly subjective since fear is something that all people look at differently. So do people who are not like you and I and are fearful for their safety in either of the situations you portrayed wrong for being in reasonable fear and not have a right to a reasonable expectation of safety? It just seems incredibly subjective to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 AM

26 posts, read 32,113 times
This thread needs to die already. It's got more red herrings than an English diner.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
This thread needs to die already. It's got more red herrings than an English diner.
Yeah, I think we're done here.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post

Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area