U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,418,822 times
Reputation: 8825

Advertisements

Yeah, I'd take a convict's word for it, especially if he can blame the drugs for something he did. Not to mention the time off for good behavior he may be getting.

Your arguements against legalizing drugs could be turned around to argue for criminalizing alcohol. More people drive drunk than drive stoned. A drunk driver kills someone in America every day. How many news stories do we read about a crime ends with "Police believe alcohol may have been a contributing factor." But no one seriously thinks making alcohol illegal (again) would solve any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yeah, I'd take a convict's word for it, especially if he can blame the drugs for something he did. Not to mention the time off for good behavior he may be getting.

Your arguements against legalizing drugs could be turned around to argue for criminalizing alcohol. More people drive drunk than drive stoned. A drunk driver kills someone in America every day. How many news stories do we read about a crime ends with "Police believe alcohol may have been a contributing factor." But no one seriously thinks making alcohol illegal (again) would solve any of that.
Ok, so let's ban alcohol too. You aren't serious about that though so it is a strawman argument. If DUIs from alcohol are bad, why would you want to legalize another drug to increase that? You arent helping your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yeah, I'd take a convict's word for it, especially if he can blame the drugs for something he did. Not to mention the time off for good behavior he may be getting.

Your arguements against legalizing drugs could be turned around to argue for criminalizing alcohol. More people drive drunk than drive stoned. A drunk driver kills someone in America every day. How many news stories do we read about a crime ends with "Police believe alcohol may have been a contributing factor." But no one seriously thinks making alcohol illegal (again) would solve any of that.
Ok, so let's ban alcohol too. You aren't serious about that though so it is a strawman argument. If DUIs from alcohol are bad, why would you want to legalize another drug to increase that? You arent helping your argument.

the difference in my mind is you can use alcohol responsibly but the point of anybody smoking weed is to get stoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,418,822 times
Reputation: 8825
You can use alcohol responsibly, butnot everyone does. You can also use drugs responsibly as well. Smoking weed? Don't drive. Drinking beer? Don't drive. See. It's that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You can use alcohol responsibly, butnot everyone does. You can also use drugs responsibly as well. Smoking weed? Don't drive. Drinking beer? Don't drive. See. It's that easy.
ok, well if potheads are always using pot why does it need to be legal? it already effectively is. the law just helps stigmitize it a little some it isn't widespread used and again, why can't people just avail themselves of the already legal drug alcohol? We've selected one drug that we can use already despite legit arguments against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
405 posts, read 720,762 times
Reputation: 321
Marijuana has so many good uses from medical, fuel, paper, rope, and it's natural. The main reason it's not legal is because of lobbies in DC for alcohol, timber, and tobacco, plus the drug cartels. No one is saying give it to kids, or smoke all day and drive. I love my beer more than most, but the real "gate way " drug is alcohol. People all over the World work all day, then to relax take a "smoke" at the end of the day, it's not always about getting Stoned to the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Marijuana has so many good uses from medical, fuel, paper, rope, and it's natural. The main reason it's not legal is because of lobbies in DC for alcohol, timber, and tobacco, plus the drug cartels. No one is saying give it to kids, or smoke all day and drive. I love my beer more than most, but the real "gate way " drug is alcohol. People all over the World work all day, then to relax take a "smoke" at the end of the day, it's not always about getting Stoned to the wall.

lol weed for medicinal purposes is the biggest croak of all time. lol if you are in s evere pain, you aren't going to want weed for it, lol

i could respect potheads more if they didn't make pot seem like this perfect drug with no impacts on the human body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,418,822 times
Reputation: 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
lol weed for medicinal purposes is the biggest croak of all time. lol if you are in s evere pain, you aren't going to want weed for it, lol

i could respect potheads more if they didn't make pot seem like this perfect drug with no impacts on the human body.
I could respect those against marijuana more if they didn't label those for it as potheads or just pull crazy stuff out of their ass to prove their point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I could respect those against marijuana more if they didn't label those for it as potheads or just pull crazy stuff out of their ass to prove their point.
lol Joe Blow you getting into quicksand again. I don't judge you for being a pothead....drug culture comes with being an artist and we all sucumb to peer pressure sometimes.

Here is an interesting comparison b/t pot and alcohol from this website Foundation for a Drug Free World: Marijuana Background, THC, Smoking a Joint or Drinking Alcohol

ALCOHOL VS. MARIJUANA



Is smoking a joint the same as drinking alcohol?
You decide. Here are the facts:
Alcohol consists of one substance only: ethanol. Marijuana contains more than 400 known chemicals, including the same cancer-causing substances found in tobacco smoke. Unlike cigarette smokers, pot smokers tend to inhale deeply and hold the smoke as long as possible to increase the effect of the drug, worsening the damage to the lungs.
Alcohol is eliminated from the body in a few hours, but THC stays in the body for weeks, possibly months, depending on the length and intensity of usage.
THC damages the immune system. Alcohol does not. There is no intention here to minimize the dangers of alcohol abuse, which can be equally harmful. Users, however, need to be aware that the chemicals in marijuana, some of them cancer-causing, remain in the body long after the drug is taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,691 times
Reputation: 84
Immediate Effects of Marijuana and Smoking Weed | Depression, Panic Attacks and Anxiety

But the problem does not end there. According to scientific studies, the active ingredient in cannabis, THC, remains in the body for weeks or longer.

Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke. One major research study reported that a single cannabis joint could cause as much damage to the lungs as up to five regular cigarettes smoked one after another. Long-time joint smokers often suffer from bronchitis, an inflammation of the respiratory tract.

The drug can affect more than your physical health. Studies in Australia in 2008 linked years of heavy marijuana use to brain abnormalities. This is backed up by earlier research on the long-term effects of marijuana, which indicate changes in the brain similar to those caused by long-term abuse of other major drugs. And a number of studies have shown a connection between continued marijuana use and psychosis.






Marijuana changes the structure of sperm cells, deforming them. Thus even small amounts of marijuana can cause temporary sterility in men. Marijuana use can upset a woman’s menstrual cycle.

Studies show that the mental functions of people who have smoked a lot of marijuana tend to be diminished. The THC in cannabis disrupts nerve cells in the brain affecting memory.

Cannabis is one of the few drugs which causes abnormal cell division which leads to severe hereditary defects. A pregnant woman who regularly smokes marijuana or hashish may give birth prematurely to an undersized, underweight baby. Over the last ten years, many children of marijuana users have been born with reduced initiative and lessened abilities to concentrate and pursue life goals. Studies also suggest that prenatal (before birth) use of the drug may result in birth defects, mental abnormalities and increased risk of leukemia1 in children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top