U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
 
42 posts, read 40,493 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

LOL, not a Pharmacist, street Pharmacist, or expert on weed. I can speak with certainty about the lungs though, and Marijuana being worse off than cigarettes just does not add up. While I am sure there are potheads that smoke down entire joints to themselves, most people are just taking a few puffs especially if its a higher grade. Your average cigarette smoker is easily smoking the whole cigarette and prolly blasting doing in a half pack plus a day every day. The issues that come up are when someone is abusing Marijuana and being a pothead about it and smoking it. Me personally, I can't see the harm in recreational use smoking, but any regular smoke in the lungs is obviously not good. Its why vaporizing or ingesting makes much more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,590 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1140 View Post
LOL, not a Pharmacist, street Pharmacist, or expert on weed. I can speak with certainty about the lungs though, and Marijuana being worse off than cigarettes just does not add up. While I am sure there are potheads that smoke down entire joints to themselves, most people are just taking a few puffs especially if its a higher grade. Your average cigarette smoker is easily smoking the whole cigarette and prolly blasting doing in a half pack plus a day every day. The issues that come up are when someone is abusing Marijuana and being a pothead about it and smoking it. Me personally, I can't see the harm in recreational use smoking, but any regular smoke in the lungs is obviously not good. Its why vaporizing or ingesting makes much more sense.
Ok, well here is an except from an interesting article about the wacky weed:

The typical cannabis cigarette “increases the smoker’s risk of developing lung cancer by 20 times the amount of one tobacco cigarette,” says the British Lung Foundation, which published a review of medical research in 2012.
Marijuana ingestion harms short-term memory and makes it difficult to learn and retain information or perform complex tasks. It slows reaction time and reduces motor coordination. Prolonged use is “associated with lower test scores and lower educational attainment because during periods of intoxication the drug affects the ability to learn and process information, thus influencing attention, concentration, and short-term memory,” said researchers M.T. Lynskey and W. D. Hall.
One reason commonly given for decriminalizing marijuana is to free up law enforcement to focus on serious crime and to reduce the number of minor possession cases clogging the court system. Pot smokers are not criminals, the thinking goes.
The argument is naïve. The National Research Council has found that the long-term marijuana use can alter the nervous system in ways that promote violence. Further, legalizing drugs doesn’t end illegal activity connected with drug trade. Consider Amsterdam where coffee houses selling marijuana are commonplace. The city has been plagued by drug trafficking, drug tourism and street crime.
Support for legalizing marijuana has risen 11 points since 2010, a stunning increase that can only be attributed to propaganda. This is why policymakers must resist the urge to do the popular thing. Society can’t in good conscience deem cigarette smoking a top public health hazard and simultaneously embrace marijuana smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 AM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
17 posts, read 25,602 times
Reputation: 17
Francis, I'm going to put in my two cents.

I'm a native Vermonter, I've been in South Carolina for about 5 months now. I just want to start off by saying that, yes, like others have said... you need to ease up on the name calling. Also, all these "facts" you're spewing out would be much more believable if you provided reliable primary sources. Rather than quoting articles, give us a link to the website, or a citation from the study, book, etc.

As I said, I'm a native Vermonter, and the "weed culture" in Vermont is very prevalent. I'm going to explain what I mean by "weed culture." In Vermont, a lot of the population smokes (or has smoked) marijuana, and if they don't smoke, it's generally accepted. I guarantee that if you met someone in Vermont, and you told them that you smoked marijuana, they would not form a judgment about you -- or call you a "pothead" as you like to say. There are more serious issues going on in my home state, such as heroin, meth, and especially prescription medications. I know countless examples of people who live a dead end life just searching for their next high - a pill, that black tar, that meth to smoke. THOSE drugs are a serious problem.

Some of the most influential people in my life are pot smokers. They are some of the most compassionate, loving, caring, respecful, and successful people that I have ever met. Yes, I said SUCCESSFUL. If someone smokes marijuana, it does not necessarily mean that they are "potheads" going nowhere in life. I'm talking about people who own their own businesses, have very good jobs, and also people who are AMAZING parents for their children.

I'm going to get a little personal right now. When I was 13, my Dad was diagnosed with a rare form of Gastro-Intenstinal cancer. The doctor told us that he probably won't live past my 15th birthday -- that's two years if your math is lacking. The doctors tried an experimental Chemo-Pill that was supposed to shrink my Dad's tumors in his abdomen. It worked for a little while, but eventually it stopped working. Keep in mind, the doctors gave my Dad MAYBE two years to live. He smoked daily, a few joints here and there. And let me tell you, there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that because he smoked marijuana, he was able to maintain a healthy appetite. The meds he was taking made him very sick, and they killed his appetite, essentially killing him slowly. My Dad ended up living for four years after his diagnosis, completely shocking the doctors. He stayed healthy for two years LONGER than the doctors said he would, and I truly believe that marijuana was able to bless him with two additional years as a father. Not to mention, it was a very effective pain reliever for him, for that short while after the joint, his pain wasn't completely gone, it just wasn't as unbearable. That right there is priceless in my opinion.

This brings me back to the bigger drug problem. You could argue that he could have been administered a different pain medication such as Vicodin, Percocet, even Morphine. However, those drugs have a much more adverse effect on the human body than Marijuana (a natural plant) would.

As an earlier poster stated, "this is not the 1930's anymore." Opinons are changing, not because there are more "potheads," but because it MAKES SENSE. And really, you should educate yourself on the medical aspects of marijuana. I'll follow up with some more information, including citations from very reliable sources.

I'll end this on my most important point. You know all those people in jail? The murderers, rapists, pedos, burglars, thieves, etc. THOSE are the real criminals. That is exactly why the justice system exists. Tax dollars absolutely should be allocated for those types of criminals.

However, the number of people jailed for simple possession is STAGGERING. Simple possesion can be defined as: "Possession of 1 oz. or less is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a fine of $100-$200."
South Carolina Laws & Penalties
There are additional citations on this very reliable legalization advocacy website, NORML (National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws) as to exactly which SC Legislation you can look at if needed.


Number of people arrested in 2012 in the U.S. on nonviolent drug charges: 1.55 million


Number of people arrested for a marijuana law violation in 2012: 749,825
  • Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 658,231 (88 percent)
Drug War Statistics | Marijuana Statistics | Mexico Drug War Deaths | Drug Policy Alliance

Those statistics right there show that HALF of all nonviolent drug charges in the US in 2012 are people being arrested for marijuana violations. Let me just remind you of those people back home that I know.. you know, those business owners, successful people, amazing parents. In South Carolina, the first offense carries up to 30 days in jail, with a second offense bringing up to a year in jail. For what? Smoking a joint and relaxing after a long hard day at work? Arrests like these can destabilize a family. These are nonviolent people who are just smoking to relax. They don't smoke and then think, "I think I'm going to go steal that car and rob a bank." (yes I know, that's a crazy point, huh?)

Now, think about all the money that it takes to process these "criminals." i.e. Court fees, potential jury duty costs, expenses to house offenders, etc. THIS is the real reason why the drug war is failing. Prohibition does not work. All it does is waste unnecessary funds, and it creates an opportunity for a black market to thrive. That black market, by the way, is controlled by the drug cartels. They murder for profit.

If marijuana were legal in the US, the drug cartels wouldn't have it as a source of income, because there would be no need for marijuana on the black market. There would be legal, regulated products available to the American people.

I couldn't even touch on everything that I wanted, but I will follow up with additional statistics with explanations for each one. I'm not telling you what opinions you should have, but I do wish for you to open up your mind a little more, and stop name calling. This is 2014, ignorance isn't really a progressive thing anymore.

P.S. I smoke marijuana. Looks like my brain cells are shot, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
404 posts, read 719,928 times
Reputation: 312
BRollins- nailed it. Even the idiots know it restores appetite and eases tensions. I've been called a pothead, a liberal, and an Obama lover, I am none of them(I'm more middle), I just want the Government to - back off. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and welcome to SC, proud to have ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,590 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRollins3409 View Post
Francis, I'm going to put in my two cents.

I'm a native Vermonter, I've been in South Carolina for about 5 months now. I just want to start off by saying that, yes, like others have said... you need to ease up on the name calling. Also, all these "facts" you're spewing out would be much more believable if you provided reliable primary sources. Rather than quoting articles, give us a link to the website, or a citation from the study, book, etc.

As I said, I'm a native Vermonter, and the "weed culture" in Vermont is very prevalent. I'm going to explain what I mean by "weed culture." In Vermont, a lot of the population smokes (or has smoked) marijuana, and if they don't smoke, it's generally accepted. I guarantee that if you met someone in Vermont, and you told them that you smoked marijuana, they would not form a judgment about you -- or call you a "pothead" as you like to say. There are more serious issues going on in my home state, such as heroin, meth, and especially prescription medications. I know countless examples of people who live a dead end life just searching for their next high - a pill, that black tar, that meth to smoke. THOSE drugs are a serious problem.

Some of the most influential people in my life are pot smokers. They are some of the most compassionate, loving, caring, respecful, and successful people that I have ever met. Yes, I said SUCCESSFUL. If someone smokes marijuana, it does not necessarily mean that they are "potheads" going nowhere in life. I'm talking about people who own their own businesses, have very good jobs, and also people who are AMAZING parents for their children.

I'm going to get a little personal right now. When I was 13, my Dad was diagnosed with a rare form of Gastro-Intenstinal cancer. The doctor told us that he probably won't live past my 15th birthday -- that's two years if your math is lacking. The doctors tried an experimental Chemo-Pill that was supposed to shrink my Dad's tumors in his abdomen. It worked for a little while, but eventually it stopped working. Keep in mind, the doctors gave my Dad MAYBE two years to live. He smoked daily, a few joints here and there. And let me tell you, there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that because he smoked marijuana, he was able to maintain a healthy appetite. The meds he was taking made him very sick, and they killed his appetite, essentially killing him slowly. My Dad ended up living for four years after his diagnosis, completely shocking the doctors. He stayed healthy for two years LONGER than the doctors said he would, and I truly believe that marijuana was able to bless him with two additional years as a father. Not to mention, it was a very effective pain reliever for him, for that short while after the joint, his pain wasn't completely gone, it just wasn't as unbearable. That right there is priceless in my opinion.

This brings me back to the bigger drug problem. You could argue that he could have been administered a different pain medication such as Vicodin, Percocet, even Morphine. However, those drugs have a much more adverse effect on the human body than Marijuana (a natural plant) would.

As an earlier poster stated, "this is not the 1930's anymore." Opinons are changing, not because there are more "potheads," but because it MAKES SENSE. And really, you should educate yourself on the medical aspects of marijuana. I'll follow up with some more information, including citations from very reliable sources.

I'll end this on my most important point. You know all those people in jail? The murderers, rapists, pedos, burglars, thieves, etc. THOSE are the real criminals. That is exactly why the justice system exists. Tax dollars absolutely should be allocated for those types of criminals.

However, the number of people jailed for simple possession is STAGGERING. Simple possesion can be defined as: "Possession of 1 oz. or less is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a fine of $100-$200."
South Carolina Laws & Penalties
There are additional citations on this very reliable legalization advocacy website, NORML (National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws) as to exactly which SC Legislation you can look at if needed.


Number of people arrested in 2012 in the U.S. on nonviolent drug charges: 1.55 million





Number of people arrested for a marijuana law violation in 2012: 749,825
  • Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 658,231 (88 percent)
Drug War Statistics | Marijuana Statistics | Mexico Drug War Deaths | Drug Policy Alliance

Those statistics right there show that HALF of all nonviolent drug charges in the US in 2012 are people being arrested for marijuana violations. Let me just remind you of those people back home that I know.. you know, those business owners, successful people, amazing parents. In South Carolina, the first offense carries up to 30 days in jail, with a second offense bringing up to a year in jail. For what? Smoking a joint and relaxing after a long hard day at work? Arrests like these can destabilize a family. These are nonviolent people who are just smoking to relax. They don't smoke and then think, "I think I'm going to go steal that car and rob a bank." (yes I know, that's a crazy point, huh?)

Now, think about all the money that it takes to process these "criminals." i.e. Court fees, potential jury duty costs, expenses to house offenders, etc. THIS is the real reason why the drug war is failing. Prohibition does not work. All it does is waste unnecessary funds, and it creates an opportunity for a black market to thrive. That black market, by the way, is controlled by the drug cartels. They murder for profit.

If marijuana were legal in the US, the drug cartels wouldn't have it as a source of income, because there would be no need for marijuana on the black market. There would be legal, regulated products available to the American people.

I couldn't even touch on everything that I wanted, but I will follow up with additional statistics with explanations for each one. I'm not telling you what opinions you should have, but I do wish for you to open up your mind a little more, and stop name calling. This is 2014, ignorance isn't really a progressive thing anymore.

P.S. I smoke marijuana. Looks like my brain cells are shot, huh?
Brollins, I appreciate your passion and I think it is great when people defend their position without apology. But you can't really be objective about this topic if you are a pothead.
I don't care if you want to harm your own body, per se. I just want people to know that weed isn't this clean drug that has no negative impacts on your body and that you can't get addicted to, but many potheads say it is in their attempts to get it legalized. I don't like liars and lies.

I don't think potheads who smoke pot at their home are getting arrested in SC or anywhere. The ones who get arrested are either DUI or they were also involved in some other criminal activity while stoned.

I had a friend at Clemson who smoked pot everyday,...this guy was a genius but ended up with a lot of bad grades in the mechanical engineering program. The weed did seem to mentally slow him and I never met a chronic pot user who didn't seem a little slow. Tom Petty is a brilliant musiciaian but when he talks you can tell the pot has had a toil on his mental quickness.

Last edited by Francis.; 01-06-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,590 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
BRollins- nailed it. Even the idiots know it restores appetite and eases tensions. I've been called a pothead, a liberal, and an Obama lover, I am none of them(I'm more middle), I just want the Government to - back off. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and welcome to SC, proud to have ya.
Show me a liberal/Obama lover who admits it rather than say they are in the middle. Somebody has to be lying.

The people i've called liberal in this pot discussion are people that i've talked to before on here about other political issues. You are not necessiarly a liberal if you smoke pot or want it legalized. That is kind of the main issue for liberterians. One reason whey they never go anywhere politically. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
17 posts, read 25,602 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
Show me a liberal/Obama lover who admits it rather than say they are in the middle. Somebody has to be lying.

The people i've called liberal in this pot discussion are people that i've talked to before on here about other political issues. You are not necessiarly a liberal if you smoke pot or want it legalized. That is kind of the main issue for liberterians. One reason whey they never go anywhere politically. lol
Not sure if I understand your debate tactics. Belittling people to prove a point doesn't really work out.

Me personally? I'm not an Obama lover.. I'm more of a "the entire government is flawed" kind of guy. Special interests dominate those who are in power, and it's been that way for a very long time. (Most) Politicians do not care about the general public, and that includes you and I 'Francis.'

Another example of special interests dominating the American people? Pharmaceutical companies. The reason why Pot is illegal is because it IS proven to be beneficial to people's health. (Don't worry I'll have a ton of time later tonight to provide the statistics) Now, if pot were legal, there would be a vast variety of medical uses for it. As a user posted before, you don't have to smoke it. Hash oil is an incredible remedy for a lot of ailments. If pot were legal, pharmaceutical companies would be out on BILLIONS of dollars. The pharmaceutical industry plays in quite well with this whole obamacare scheme as well.

Francis, I know you probably will never change your opinion on this, but it would be great to see a little more eye opening from you, and less sticking your head in the sand. Surely you must be years wiser than I, because I'm only an uneducated 22 year old (What do I know?) The only points I see you making are that pot is "bad" for your health, and that people who use it are "slow" and stupid? I disagree, and I will provide the data, testimonials, and reputable sources that will make you think twice about these ideas you're throwing around. That is, if you allow yourself to really think - rather than sticking your head back in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
 
467 posts, read 456,590 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRollins3409 View Post
Not sure if I understand your debate tactics. Belittling people to prove a point doesn't really work out.

Me personally? I'm not an Obama lover.. I'm more of a "the entire government is flawed" kind of guy. Special interests dominate those who are in power, and it's been that way for a very long time. (Most) Politicians do not care about the general public, and that includes you and I 'Francis.'

Another example of special interests dominating the American people? Pharmaceutical companies. The reason why Pot is illegal is because it IS proven to be beneficial to people's health. (Don't worry I'll have a ton of time later tonight to provide the statistics) Now, if pot were legal, there would be a vast variety of medical uses for it. As a user posted before, you don't have to smoke it. Hash oil is an incredible remedy for a lot of ailments. If pot were legal, pharmaceutical companies would be out on BILLIONS of dollars. The pharmaceutical industry plays in quite well with this whole obamacare scheme as well.

Francis, I know you probably will never change your opinion on this, but it would be great to see a little more eye opening from you, and less sticking your head in the sand. Surely you must be years wiser than I, because I'm only an uneducated 22 year old (What do I know?) The only points I see you making are that pot is "bad" for your health, and that people who use it are "slow" and stupid? I disagree, and I will provide the data, testimonials, and reputable sources that will make you think twice about these ideas you're throwing around. That is, if you allow yourself to really think - rather than sticking your head back in the sand.
When a politician says they care about me, I know my taxes are about to go up.

Apparently "sticking my head in the sand" is simply not agreeing with a 22 year old pothead on something. lol I can live with that.

I'll leave it up to medical rpofessionals to decide if weed is an effective medicine. I would think just from a dosing standpoint weed would be impractical as a medicine, physicians like consistent dosages of medicines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
17 posts, read 25,602 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
When a politician says they care about me, I know my taxes are about to go up.

Apparently "sticking my head in the sand" is simply not agreeing with a 22 year old pothead on something. lol I can live with that.

I'll leave it up to medical rpofessionals to decide if weed is an effective medicine. I would think just from a dosing standpoint weed would be impractical as a medicine, physicians like consistent dosages of medicines.
Again, you continue to prove my points. By calling me a "pothead" again, you're resorting back to your weak debate skills.

And, by "sticking your head in the sand" I did not mean that you have to listen to me. What I meant was that you need to actually do some research of your own, and be open minded to different possibilities, rather than sticking to your current opinion because it's "up to medical professionals."

Did you miss my entire point about how there is huge corporate interest in pharmaceuticals? The US is run by corporations, not sure if you’re aware of that? And from a dosing standpoint – your point is completely invalid. They can dose the compounds in marijuana. Have you ever heard of THC pills? Hash oil? It’s concentrated, and it can absolutely have the dosage controlled.

Francis, let’s say you were diagnosed with a debilitating disease, and they prescribed you a bunch of little white pills for your pain. Now, let’s say I was diagnosed with the very same debilitating disease.. yet I was prescribed a medical marijuana prescription. I GUARANTEE you that I would outlive you. All of those pills they would give you will kill your liver and kidneys. It’s a proven fact. Prescription pills aren’t good for you. Neither are cigarettes. Alcohol? Probably one of the worst legal substances you can put in your body. Do you have issues with any of that stuff being legal? Why such the beef with marijuana?

When I'm in a conversation with someone and they state something that I don't agree with, I don't just put ear plugs in and shake my head ignorantly. I LISTEN, I look at various standpoints on the issue, I weigh pros and cons. Do you know what that means? Try it

Oh yeah, give this article a read. It's a good one.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...otential/?_r=0

Last edited by BRollins3409; 01-07-2014 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Corona
10,058 posts, read 13,948,595 times
Reputation: 8887
Francis, if you knew the amount of white collar friends I have in Colorado that have MMJ cards, before the whole full blown legalization, you would be surprised. People hitting their sales quotas, working 50 hours a week, you would never guess. They all make north of 75k working legit jobs and need to unwind at the end of the night. These are not the burn outs you paint a broad brush stroke with. I bet you think differently about the lawyer that has a drink at lunch, or belts one down at the end of the night, huh?

Try and keep an open mind and read up on how Portugal is handling their drug problems. Even the DEA says the war on drugs is a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top