U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 AM

467 posts, read 456,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRollins3409 View Post
Again, you continue to prove my points. By calling me a "pothead" again, you're resorting back to your weak debate skills.

And, by "sticking your head in the sand" I did not mean that you have to listen to me. What I meant was that you need to actually do some research of your own, and be open minded to different possibilities, rather than sticking to your current opinion because it's "up to medical professionals."

Did you miss my entire point about how there is huge corporate interest in pharmaceuticals? The US is run by corporations, not sure if you’re aware of that? And from a dosing standpoint – your point is completely invalid. They can dose the compounds in marijuana. Have you ever heard of THC pills? Hash oil? It’s concentrated, and it can absolutely have the dosage controlled.

Francis, let’s say you were diagnosed with a debilitating disease, and they prescribed you a bunch of little white pills for your pain. Now, let’s say I was diagnosed with the very same debilitating disease.. yet I was prescribed a medical marijuana prescription. I GUARANTEE you that I would outlive you. All of those pills they would give you will kill your liver and kidneys. It’s a proven fact. Prescription pills aren’t good for you. Neither are cigarettes. Alcohol? Probably one of the worst legal substances you can put in your body. Do you have issues with any of that stuff being legal? Why such the beef with marijuana?

When I'm in a conversation with someone and they state something that I don't agree with, I don't just put ear plugs in and shake my head ignorantly. I LISTEN, I look at various standpoints on the issue, I weigh pros and cons. Do you know what that means? Try it

Oh yeah, give this article a read. It's a good one.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...otential/?_r=0
u should let corporations paying all these big taxes to the government know that they run this country. they'd be surprised to hear that. lol Obama's been running this country, that is why the economy has been in the toilet 5 straight years.

If I was in severe pain, i'd be getting morphine and other serious medications. Not smoking pot. It is one thing to argue for legilization of pot but to make it out as some kind of wonder drug for pain and curing disease, etc is absurd. You come across as USSR type of propaganda fools.

I've read some medical articles in which the physicians make the point about weed not benig practicle from a dosing standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 AM

467 posts, read 456,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Francis, if you knew the amount of white collar friends I have in Colorado that have MMJ cards, before the whole full blown legalization, you would be surprised. People hitting their sales quotas, working 50 hours a week, you would never guess. They all make north of 75k working legit jobs and need to unwind at the end of the night. These are not the burn outs you paint a broad brush stroke with. I bet you think differently about the lawyer that has a drink at lunch, or belts one down at the end of the night, huh?

Try and keep an open mind and read up on how Portugal is handling their drug problems. Even the DEA says the war on drugs is a failure.
Some aspects of the war on drugs might be failure but obviously drug users wouldn't complain about the war on drugs if it was a complete failure.

I've never tried to argue against people smoking pot per se. My point has always been why do we need to make it legal if you can sm oke it up at your house and nobody will know? I just think it isn't a good idea for the government to kind of bless drug use which they do in effect by making it legal. Again, this is based on my perception this country has more and more citizens who are becoming dependent on government for everything. Did you ever read Brave New World? Look at Africa where tons of people are drug abusers. We are in the 2nd worse economic times in the history of our nation so does it make sense at this time to say "hey, let's legalize drugs"? I would say at leasat 80 percent of hardcore poor people in this country are drug abusers.

i'm just asking questions. I don't want to control people or tell them what to do but at the same time I think we are goign to have to start doing some tough love in our country b/c some people have gotten addicted to having others pay their way for them.

If we do legalize drugs , I'd like see some kind of co-law in which it is stated that taxpayers won't pay to take care of drug addicts anymore. Cuz that is part of the war on drugs too.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 AM

17 posts, read 25,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
u should let corporations paying all these big taxes to the government know that they run this country. they'd be surprised to hear that. lol Obama's been running this country, that is why the economy has been in the toilet 5 straight years.

If I was in severe pain, i'd be getting morphine and other serious medications. Not smoking pot. It is one thing to argue for legilization of pot but to make it out as some kind of wonder drug for pain and curing disease, etc is absurd. You come across as USSR type of propaganda fools.

I've read some medical articles in which the physicians make the point about weed not benig practicle from a dosing standpoint.

You're likening me to the Soviet Union? Obama runs this country? No, no he doesn't.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,178 times
I am a police officer who was strictly against pot until I became a cop. All the "potheads" I deal with are the easiest ones to get along with and never act violent, unless another substance such as pills or alcohol are involved. Plus all the arrest I've made for marijuana are not during DUI, they are during routine stops on the street or by actively searching for them (wasting tax dollars searching for marijuana when they could be out stopping serious or violent crimes). I do not smoke marijuana nor do I want to smoke it, but I would rather deal with someone under the influence of marijuana than any other substance. There are even times where I wish some of the people I deal with, who are not under the influence of anything, would smoke pot. So that it could mellow them out.

As to "dumbing" people down, so to say, there are some people I have dealt with who cannot comprehend basic math or elementary concepts, unless they smoke first. I had a friend from back home named Joe who would smoke pot daily. Joe also had ADD (which is a whole other topic to discuss). In class you could always tell when he hadn't smoked because he couldn't concentrate and would do badly on assignments. The days he did smoke he was actively involved in the class, the marijuana broke him out of his naturally shy shell so that he was able to be more social and learn more in class. That is just my personal experience with marijuana and learning.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:

Where are these articles, you have yet to provide any empirical evidence even though BRollins has provided you with a library of sources...

Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 AM

17 posts, read 25,542 times
Quote:
We are in the 2nd worse economic times in the history of our nation so does it make sense at this time to say "hey, let's legalize drugs"? I would say at leasat 80 percent of hardcore poor people in this country are drug abusers.

i'm just asking questions. I don't want to control people or tell them what to do but at the same time I think we are goign to have to start doing some tough love in our country b/c some people have gotten addicted to having others pay their way for them.

If we do legalize drugs , I'd like see some kind of co-law in which it is stated that taxpayers won't pay to take care of drug addicts anymore. Cuz that is part of the war on drugs too.
*Sigh* Do you realize the economic implications that would result from legalization? If marijuana were legalized and taxed, it's astronomical. There's excise tax, sales tax. Then, there's income tax for those who work in the industry. This industry has the potential to create SO MANY jobs.

14 Ways Marijuana Legalization Could Boost The Economy
In this article, the Huffington Post explores reasons why marijuana would impact the economy in a positive way. This ranges from the tax revenue, to the saved costs of enforcing the current marijuana laws. It's quite a good read, and a great video as well.

Benefits of Marijuana Legalization in California | California NORML
Here is another article, explaining benefits specific to California.
Below is the estimated COST of enforcing marijuana laws in California:

COST OF MARIJUANA ENFORCEMENT IN CALIFORNIA IS OVER $200 MILLION PER YEAR

The cost of marijuana enforcement in California currently can be estimated at over $200 million per year, as follows.

State prison
(1500 prisoners @ $49 K per year - 2009 est.) $73.5 million

Jail costs (est. 40% of prison population) $29.4 million
Felony prosecution, court & probation
(est. 8500 felony prosecutions (2008), SF DA's office est. $9250 per case) $78.6 million

Felony arrests 17,000 arrests (2008) @ $732/arrest* $12.4 million

Misdemeanor court costs: $100 court time/case, 61,000 cases) $6.1 million

Misdemeanor arrests ($300/arrest,* offset by fines) ----- $0

California Marijuana Suppression Program (OCJP) $3.8 million

TOTAL: $203.8 million

Now, that's a lot of money to be saved!

Here are a few additional links to read up on.
4/20: 16 Ways Marijuana Affects The Economy
CA NORML Costs of Prohibition

Francis, I'm providing this information to you, since you can't seem to be able to find it.

Now, here's the doozy. You claim that it doesn't have any medical benefits. The US Government has patented marijuana's medical use, did you know that? It's US Patent #6630507. Below is a link to this patent, and it clearly states:
Quote:
"Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention."
United States Patent: 6630507

The whole reason why this is patented by the US Government is to prevent the implementation of medical marijuana. (This goes back to the point I made about the US being run by corporations.)

The prison industry, as well as the pharmaceutical industry, benefit from marijuana being illegal.

If this isn't enough to sway your current opinions, there's nothing else I can do. If this still gets me nowhere, then you're clearly not looking into the points I'm making. The evidence is all here ^^^^^.

Cheers

Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 AM

Francis:

Will SC ever legalize Marijuana?-0258b3207aa9c036ba5e2f33e0f88deb2aaec6392337d2e82f3f7f669632afde.jpg

Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM

15,868 posts, read 35,991,778 times
Quote:
big macs and sweet tea don't affect the human brain.

you are basically advocating for high school kids driving around while stoned.

We've already allowed alcohol, I dont' think we need to continue to legalize more drugs especially ones like pot that are only used to abused while alcohol can be used responsibliy and not to get drunk.

It appears pot users already break the law so why not just keep the law in place so the government doesn't essentially send a message to kids that drugs are ok?
Actually there are a lot of studies that a steady diet of McDonalds does effect the brain and body negatively.

That being said, it doesn't mean we should illegalize it, and throw people in jail for eating (or smoking) unhealthy things.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:41 PM

924 posts, read 1,282,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
You guys should disclose if you smoke pot or not before opining on this subject so we can guage your ability to be objective on this topic.
Why would that matter and show who's objective? Unless you are saying only people who don't smoke are the only ones being objective, which obviously isn't the point if you read this thread (looking at you Francis).

Old 01-08-2014, 03:46 PM

924 posts, read 1,282,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
would you expect a crack head to be objective about cons of using cocaine?
Okay I see now. Crack head = someone who smokes pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or