Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,240 times

Advertisements

Hey, kind of a random question but can anyone suggest a good bbq place near Columbia, SC? In college a lot of my friends were from the south and just raved about how good the bbq was compared to the "junk we call bbq in NY". Since I'll be passing thru the area on business I thought i'd try and check out it out. Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 PM

55 posts, read 237,750 times
Maurice's BBQ is excellent! There are a few locations as well so it is easy to get to regardless of what side of town you are on. Maurice's has always been a favorite of mine.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
IMO Columbia doesn't have the best BBQ. But it does have 'good' BBQ - like Micah said, Maurice's is good. It's all covered with his honey mustard-style sauce, which is pretty good. I prefer the vinegar-based style, though, and they don't serve it. Being from NY, I think you'll either be amused or disturbed by Maurice's fundamentalist Christian / revisionist Civil War propaganda stands that he puts in his stores. He's sort of like a political relic from 1960's South Carolina.

I've always heard the best BBQ in Columbia is 'Little Pigs' on Alpine Road. Never eaten there, though.

In South Carolina (and maybe Georgia?) we have something called hash and rice. It's like a meat spread (similar to what people make hotdogs with) over rice, and is a side at basically every BBQ restaurant. I live in NC now, and when I ask for hash & rice, they look at me like I have three eyes. So make sure you try that, it's good.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,240 times
"Being from NY, I think you'll either be amused or disturbed by Maurice's fundamentalist Christian / revisionist Civil War propaganda stands that he puts in his stores. He's sort of like a political relic from 1960's South Carolina."

Haha, thats great, I love getting a taste of local culture when I travel so I'll definetely check it out....plus when the fiance finishes grad school we're looking to move down to south carolina so it's all good. Thanks to both of you for the info/advice.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM

I'd have to say that Maurice's, unfortunately, is a little more the atmosphere of South Carolina in the 1860's! But, nonetheless, it is good BBQ.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 AM

100 posts, read 373,825 times
Hudsons BBQ in Lexington, by far.

They have options in sauce, instead of just the mustard. the pork comes dry and they have three sauces to chose from.

Hands down, best BBQ in SC

Old 10-23-2006, 06:21 AM

Hudson's eh? I'll try that next week when I am in Columbia.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM

100 posts, read 373,825 times
hudson's is right off 378. Try it...I think you will agree. They have been expanding the facility and it is quite nice.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
Quote:
In South Carolina (and maybe Georgia?) we have something called hash and rice. It's like a meat spread (similar to what people make hotdogs with) over rice, and is a side at basically every BBQ restaurant. I live in NC now, and when I ask for hash & rice, they look at me like I have three eyes. So make sure you try that, it's good.
My husband and I just had lunch at maurices today,I got the hash and rice plate yummmy and he had the little pig... ,Dukes BBQ is ok but maurices has better hash and rice hands down. I have yet to try dukes bbq and it seems alot of people rave about shealys but I have yet to try that.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,730 times
I walked into Maurice's gourmet bbq in West Columbia"piggy park" I think they called it. The food was very good, and the mustard based sauce inspired me to created an award winning pork recipe in Wisconsin.(were I live) However, I felt very uneasy in that place, with all the rebel flags,that old dude with the white hair and the mustard yellow suit. Plus there was propaganda that they were selling that actually promoted, and seemed to justify SLAVERY! I felt guilty for buy food there, but paid and got the hell out of there. It seemed like a real red ass place. I am from the north, but I don't think this is normal. Great hash and rice though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area