U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 604 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to post about my recent visit. Some friends are moving to Columbia from Atlanta in a few months. I came with them to look for real estate and came away very impressed. My friends will most likely rent for a while before buying so we looked at CanalSide, very cool community.

The Vista area is a terrific part of the city. The State Museum Is in an awesome building. Love how they reused a building instead of trying to build a statement building that has little character. The area has some terrific restaurants.......Motor Supply, Gervais & Vine, Liberty Tap Room, and a few others were as good as anything I have seen.....Liberty for the atmosphere. The area seems to be a very strong up and coming area building on a strong foundation. I am jot sure what isn't is called but the canal was a great find in the city.

Main Street had a great presence. It was not overwhelming with highrises building but had just enough to get a large city feel. We walked around for a while and noticed a lot of energy with new restaurants and art facilities.

5 Points was the classic college village. The area has a great feel and is cool in a funky way. Seems as though it caters to the school andvdoes a good job with local offerings.....the wife loved The Gourmet Shop. Pawleys is one of the bet burgers I have had anywhere. The neighborhoods down Devine and Devine St reminded me alittle of Virginia Highlands here in Atlanta.

All in all, I was surprised. Columbia seems to have a very vibrant downtown that is growing organically and not in a planned master community way. That is refreshing to see as many communities are working hard to create a Hollywood set type downtown. Love that the city is using a lot of existing buildings and incorporwting the new. I have been through Columbia many times on the interstate but have never seen downtown, I will enjoy visiting when my friends are settled, especially when UGA comes to Town. I hate to admit it, Carolina has a nice campus, the Horseshoe is one of the nicest college settings around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 AM

404 posts, read 719,352 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit, and that's nice of you to say good things about the city. I would like to welcome you and your friends to the area, and look forward to partying at The Brice when the Bulldogs come to town. PS- love the Tabernacle and the Park Bar in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or