Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM

388 posts, read 535,818 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping to get some good recommendations from the locals.
In a couple of years my gf and I are planning on moving to the Columbia area for her to get her PhD from USC, from Tampa.

She's willing to commute about 45 min to campus. The main thing we are looking for for a decent size house with lots of land (preferably over 2 acres) as I have the gardening bug (fruit trees, veggies, etc) and she also like open spaces. Can be very rural. We are looking at about 150k (max is 200k) for a house.

I've heard to look northward as you can get a nice/convenient location between Columbia and Charlotte, but obviously not a necessity. As long as its not a bad/dangerous/ghetto/trash/etc.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
You might want to look into southeast Richland County where the land is rich. The sand hills run between Columbia and Charlotte in northeast Richland County.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I'd look at Cedar Creek in Northern Richland County. It's a beautiful area and convenient to I-77 and also affordable.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
There's definitely a lot of options up towards Ridgeway. It's pretty rural, but you're still within 45 minutes of Columbia. It's near civilization, but not so near that you can't get a huge patch of land for not a lot of money. I live about ten miles south of there now, and I've been looking around up there for the same reasons. Yeah, the soil's pretty sandy out this way, but that's no different from what you have around Tampa. It's nothing some mushroom compost and/or peat moss can't take care of.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM

89 posts, read 206,255 times
I second the poster who recommended eastern and southeastern Richland County, but mainly for the soil quality. Look into Gaston and Swansea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area