Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,380 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move from southern VA to Columbia. I've lived in the county outside a small town all my life, where we've always had at least an acre of land. I'm aware that's probably not going to happen in SC. But, are there any small, quiet, ruralish type areas where land isn't too expensive and everyone has a bit of personal space in the area? I've been looking outside the Columbia city limits, but to be frank, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2thalayer View Post
My wife and I are considering a move from southern VA to Columbia. I've lived in the county outside a small town all my life, where we've always had at least an acre of land. I'm aware that's probably not going to happen in SC. But, are there any small, quiet, ruralish type areas where land isn't too expensive and everyone has a bit of personal space in the area? I've been looking outside the Columbia city limits, but to be frank, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
It may help direct you a little more accurately if you could give a basic idea on potential needs for work, perhaps school, even medical care and what you both like for entertainment. Then the forum peeps could list some communities and counties to take a look at that could fit your needs.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
Based on info given, you could find what you're looking for on the White Knoll side of Lexington, Gilbert, White Rock/Ballentine, Blythewood. Not sure on the other side of Columbia.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
It may help direct you a little more accurately if you could give a basic idea on potential needs for work, perhaps school, even medical care and what you both like for entertainment. Then the forum peeps could list some communities and counties to take a look at that could fit your needs.
Well, we're used to driving a minimum of 10 miles to get to anything that isn't farmland, so that's what we would call "close" as far as work, food, groceries, etc. Medical care here is abysmal, and our local hospital is where you go to die, basically. (we both are insured but have no preexisting conditions that require frequent visits.). The schools here are about as bad as they can get, so of course we would prefer decent schools for our future children, but at the moment we are in our early twenties and have no kids. We haven't decided on the public vs private debate or any of that.

As far as entertainment, there is none within 50 miles of where we currently live. Within 15 miles would be great. My sister-in-law lives downtown and we were looking to be within 20 miles of them if at all possible. We would appreciate some decent bars, rock venues, and seeing some USC football is definitely on my to do list, but like I said, we don't have anything where we currently live so our expectations are low.

Just to throw it out there, we're looking for 2k+ square feet, and are looking in to 120-175k price range.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,985 times
I would suggest looking towards Ballentine on 76 on out to Chapin. Lots of unincorporated areas out here, like White Rock, and Hilton, plenty of land. As long as your not on the lake, you might can find a good deal. I live in Irmo, the town before Ballentine. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:14 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
OP, below is a link to the Colamls site, not sure if the data will pull thru but they had a couple homes in the Chapin/Ballentine area in your range/land wants (the site does have good advanced search features you can try for other areas as well here).
We've been in the Chapin/Ballentine area for the 5 yrs we've been in SC, we're 20 mins from the Harbison Blvd area (malls, shopping/eating, etc), and 35-40 mins to downtown Columbia depending on traffic. Within 5-10 mins are plenty of grocery store options, a newer WM, and of course Lake Murray. It's also in one of the better school districts.

You can obviously get closer to Columbia itself in your price range, just not sure how much land would be in that area as well.

ColaMLS.com - MLS Real Estate for Greater Columbia South Carolina

Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Lets start with what do you consider affordable?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Top of our budget is $175,000. Would really prefer to go lower, but if it's our dream house we'll pay that.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm looking at these areas. My mother-in-law lives in Irmo. I've heard it's a great area but terrible traffic.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 12,597 times
Ah! Since when do you forum on my forum?!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 PM

125 posts, read 286,797 times
$175k can buy you a good house and land in Lexington County, especially once you get west of Red Bank (about 10 miles west of Columbia). It will buy you quite a bit near where I live in Leesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area