Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
Ok. I never thought I'd be exposed as a fool by a SC State grad. lol

This is embarrassing, humiliating, outrageous.
Already talked you about this not a State grad.

But yes your numbers are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
It is actually much more than 41. Try 70 plus. 41 is just the estimate for the stadium, not the whole thing.

I don't see how you can't see it will be a boondoggle...it is never going to pay out to the public what the public puts into it. It won't even break even in that regard. And that is obviously money a city could throw at issues that people complain about, one that affects everybody daily life.

I"m not sure why that area of Columbia needs to be develloped, there is enough going in in the 3 active areas already.
It's 35 mil for the stadium the city has promised 29 mil to be exact for the multi-use facility. The total is 90 mil for what the city has promised overall in the project for the first 5 yrs and that is all the city is doing.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 PM

119 posts, read 226,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
It's 35 mil for the stadium the city has promised 29 mil to be exact for the multi-use facility. The total is 90 mil for what the city has promised overall in the project for the first 5 yrs and that is all the city is doing.
Ok, when will the public in Columbia start receiving dividends in the mail as their return on investment? lol Mr. Hughes is going take the money and run. He sounds like SC's version of T Boone Pickens. Rich guy who is the master of getting tax revenue thrown at him under the guise of something else.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 PM

You don't even live in the city limits why does it matter to you for what we are paying for.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
You don't even live in the city limits why does it matter to you for what we are paying for.
I'm a resident of SC and I lived in Forest Acres for over a year which is like 2 miles from this thing. I'm speaking up for the little guy who lives near this Bull Street Boondoogle site and opposes it but can't speak out on here himself b/c he is so poor he can't afford internet and he can hardly write English any way. I want that guy to get hooked up before we give some rich white guy more money to buy more yachts and houses he doesn't need.

The costs of this project are going to trickle down to non-residents of Columbia. Capital city and state allocations get thrown in the same bucket all the time. Good ole boy politics. Don't be surprised if your social security taxes goes to fund this project. lol Our generation isn't get any of that SOcial Security money back. lol

Old 05-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Then the little guy can get a job in Columbia Common.

And I'm done with this dumb rant/argument/pointless thing you have left us on for the last 8 pages.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Then the little guy can get a job in Columbia Common.

And I'm done with this dumb rant/argument/pointless thing you have left us on for the last 8 pages.
lol, no the jobs in this thing will go to rich kids who go to SC on daddy's dime or white people who live in Irmo or Lexington. They won't be hiring locally, I suspect.

Just go to Cook-Out on Hardin, there isn' a single non-USC student in there. Obviously there are adults not in college who could use those jobs more.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
It would be interesting to look up old newspaper articles to see what the late Mayor Kirkman Finlay was up against when he announced Columbia was going to invest in the the old abandoned, ugly warehouse district near the river and turn it into the Congaree Vista. In more recent years I even overheard a man say that renovating the Confederate Printing Plant (now Publix and condos) was a waste of money and that they could tear it down for all he cared. The conversion of the old mill that is now the State Museum (about to wrap up a $23 million planetarium addition) had its share of detractors, too.

It takes all kinds, but the visionaries usually win out, fortunately, taxpayer money and all. In fact, if it weren't for taxpayers rescuing countless urban districts across the nation, the word "downtown" would be synonymous with the word "blight" with very few exceptions. Taxpayer money leads to traction and the private sector takes it from there, since the private sector doesn't have the balls to go into an area and jump-start it themselves.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It would be interesting to look up old newspaper articles to see what the late Mayor Kirkman Finlay was up against when he announced Columbia was going to invest in the the old abandoned, ugly warehouse district near the river and turn it into the Congaree Vista. In more recent years I even overheard a man say that renovating the Confederate Printing Plant (now Publix and condos) was a waste of money and that they could tear it down for all he cared. The conversion of the old mill that is now the State Museum (about to wrap up a $23 million planetarium addition) had its share of detractors, too.

It takes all kinds, but the visionaries usually win out, fortunately, taxpayer money and all. In fact, if it weren't for taxpayers rescuing countless urban districts across the nation, the word "downtown" would be synonymous with the word "blight" with very few exceptions. Taxpayer money leads to traction and the private sector takes it from there, since the private sector doesn't have the balls to go into an area and jump-start it themselves.
I would bet if you looked back, someone called the Vista a boondoggle. In almost every situation where a city wants to invest money in infrastructure & amenities, someone will use the word boondoggle. It is the most favored word of folks who can't back up their assertions with fact and in short are ignorant.

Investing money into downtown areas is not a bad thing since it has the highest payback numbers. The area Columbia could be better at is attracting more federal dollars. Greenville has used federal dollars very well in developing downtown from tax credits used to build a 10 story office building (and later donating 70k sq feet to Clemson) to getting grants for a STEM school to attracting grants for parks, and the Kroc Center. Since the money is out there, obtaining grants to upgrade Bull St to Gervais would not be a bad idea. Or maybe put a school in Columbia Common.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I would bet if you looked back, someone called the Vista a boondoggle. In almost every situation where a city wants to invest money in infrastructure & amenities, someone will use the word boondoggle. It is the most favored word of folks who can't back up their assertions with fact and in short are ignorant.

Investing money into downtown areas is not a bad thing since it has the highest payback numbers. The area Columbia could be better at is attracting more federal dollars. Greenville has used federal dollars very well in developing downtown from tax credits used to build a 10 story office building (and later donating 70k sq feet to Clemson) to getting grants for a STEM school to attracting grants for parks, and the Kroc Center. Since the money is out there, obtaining grants to upgrade Bull St to Gervais would not be a bad idea. Or maybe put a school in Columbia Common.
You act like Columbia does not take advantage of federal and state dollars. Here's a link to see where Columbia seeks help, and receives it: :: Welcome to the City of Columbia ::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area