Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 05:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Glad to hear an announcement like that now if only it would’ve been on the bottom floor of an office or apartments.
There's still plenty of room for housing and offices on the site!

I'm curious to see how the parking will be for the store. Obviously it will start out as a surface lot shared with the ballpark probably, but looking at the old master plan, they had a bunch of parking garages spread throughout the Bull Street development.

I see REI got a nice high traffic, maximum visibility location with a part of the store being near Bull Street, even if it's just a side or back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There's still plenty of room for housing and offices on the site!

I'm curious to see how the parking will be for the store. Obviously it will start out as a surface lot shared with the ballpark probably, but looking at the old master plan, they had a bunch of parking garages spread throughout the Bull Street development.

I see REI got a nice high traffic, maximum visibility location with a part of the store being near Bull Street, even if it's just a side or back.
Yeeeeaaaah I just wish it would have that more urban feel to it with housing or offices above retail versus stand alone buildings like a shopping center.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 PM

1,154 posts, read 955,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Yeeeeaaaah I just wish it would have that more urban feel to it with housing or offices above retail versus stand alone buildings like a shopping center.
Will that corner was always made for a stand alone retail. Even in the original master plan.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Great landing and retailer. I used to work at the one in Greenville oddly enough. Lol.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Store rendering from the article: https://www.thestate.com/latest-news...80/REI%20Co-op

Old 03-26-2019, 02:12 AM

755 posts, read 566,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I wonder how Bone-In BBQ is doing, especially in the baseball off-season? I realize people that work nearby might go there for lunch every now and then or maybe a drink/dinner after work, I hope they stick it out and other new establishments opening nearby keep them from throwing in the towel. The restaurant business is definitely a hard one to be in, anywhere.
Bone-In has a large catering business, which should negate the need for them to drive a lot of traffic through the store. I think they probably assume that the restaurant itself would be more of a side business.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
I may be being overly optimistic, but the REI announcement bodes well for retail at Bull Street. Retailers in general, and particularly retailers of that caliber, locate where people either are or where they have good reason to believe they will be. I suspect REI has seen a list of as-yet-unannounced other retailers who plan to open at Bull Street. If that list looks anything like REI, we have a lot to look forward to.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:29 PM

755 posts, read 566,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I may be being overly optimistic, but the REI announcement bodes well for retail at Bull Street. Retailers in general, and particularly retailers of that caliber, locate where people either are or where they have good reason to believe they will be. I suspect REI has seen a list of as-yet-unannounced other retailers who plan to open at Bull Street. If that list looks anything like REI, we have a lot to look forward to.
That may be true, but REI has recently opened smaller stores (20-25k sq. ft) in some very small towns and cities. It's possible that they assume they will draw customers regardless of how slow development occurs since the store more of a boutique destination.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 PM

746 posts, read 748,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That may be true, but REI has recently opened smaller stores (20-25k sq. ft) in some very small towns and cities. It's possible that they assume they will draw customers regardless of how slow development occurs since the store more of a boutique destination.
I am not sure I follow your claim. REI has opened stores, or has plans to open stores in VERY select locations! Examples include The Summit in Birmingham, AL (a center anchored by Saks), Midcity Huntsville (a redevelopment of the old major shopping mall that already includes a TopGolf - not simulator, WAHLBURGERS, and Dave and Busters), An out-parcel of Penn Square Mall in Oklahoma City (a mall that includes an Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory, among others)... Kalispell, MT and Asheville, NC need no explanation.

Saying "very small towns and cities," is extremely misleading. There are about 150 stores currently, and none are located in random small places, like a walmart or walgreens. If anyone cares to look... this is a list of stores - https://www.rei.com/map/store

Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 PM

746 posts, read 748,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Bone-In has a large catering business, which should negate the need for them to drive a lot of traffic through the store. I think they probably assume that the restaurant itself would be more of a side business.
I was there for lunch today, had to wait to get a table. I am not sure if people realize this, but there is like an 80,000 square foot office building right next to it, probably about another 150,000 square feet of state office space within walking distance, and a giant hospital, numerous medical offices and it's like 5 minutes from downtown. Bull Street isn't in Winnsboro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area