Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

This postcard is much older and shows it with a red dome. It appears that at some point it was either painted silver or silver plated, which is what I remember from the 70's and 80's like in the photo above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM

235 posts, read 405,087 times
Does anyone know when we the general public will get our first glimpse of the details surrounding the 40-plus retailers who have already committed to Columbia Common? This is pretty exciting stuff, can't wait to hear the details.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Lord knows there's enough of those in minor league ball right now. Both Charlotte and Winston-Salem's parks are BB&T Field.
For the record, BB&T is headquartered in Winston, so that is a local brand name for them. What IS confusing is that BB&T also has naming rights for Wake Forest's football stadium, so there's BB&T Ballpark and, just a few miles away near the WFU campus, BB&T Field. I'm sure THAT'S never caused any confusion.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Does anyone know when we the general public will get our first glimpse of the details surrounding the 40-plus retailers who have already committed to Columbia Common? This is pretty exciting stuff, can't wait to hear the details.
No one other than those involved in the negotiations knows for sure when the announcements will be made. Typically, it would be after all the details are sorted out and a final contract is signed. Columbia Common won't be at this stage until enough progress is made on site plans and blueprints that retailers can lease space for which final plans exist. Don't hold your breath, this could take a while.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM

235 posts, read 405,087 times
Oh darn. Maybe you are right, but I recall Mr. Hughes saying recently in an interview that some of these details would be made public before the end of this month. I may have misread the article.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Oh darn. Maybe you are right, but I recall Mr. Hughes saying recently in an interview that some of these details would be made public before the end of this month. I may have misread the article.
I hope you are right, I am anxious to see what's in store, too.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I hope you are right, I am anxious to see what's in store, too.
I am hoping that its a nice mixed of new stores to the Columbia area and maybe some that are looking for a location in the City Center. I would hate for it simply to steal a business from one side of town and move it to another.. Downtown doesnt seem to have much retail space left/available other than a few storefronts along Main St which likely suits only a certain type of retailer....which may bode well for Columbia Commons..though doesnt Canalside have retail vacancies?

Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am hoping that its a nice mixed of new stores to the Columbia area and maybe some that are looking for a location in the City Center. I would hate for it simply to steal a business from one side of town and move it to another.. Downtown doesnt seem to have much retail space left/available other than a few storefronts along Main St which likely suits only a certain type of retailer....which may bode well for Columbia Commons..though doesnt Canalside have retail vacancies?
I share this concern, but if the growth predictions for the Columbia metro prove true, we're looking at about 50% more people living here in the next thirty years. That alone should be enough demand to fill the growing retail footprint downtown. If downtown continues urbanizing and adding density, as appears to be the case, the various nodes around the CBD will have enough people living and working around them to keep merchants busy.

Not sure if retailers are willing to gamble rigt now for "what may be" thirty years down the road, though.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 PM

678 posts, read 799,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
There's legitimately more than a few spots along main available, especially if you consider many of these establishments won't make it with the upcoming increases in rent that main st will command in the coming years. Or if they own the property some of these establishments will be tempted to sell. I may just count the spots that are either vacant or that I predict will hold a different type of tenant 5 years from now tonight on my nightly walk.

Edited: upon re-reading your post you specify retail. I agree retail per se on main might have a few spots available. I anticipate more restaurants and bars than retail popping up on main. But a few more retailers or some sort seems reasonable.

Last edited by Bouje2; 12-16-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I share this concern, but if the growth predictions for the Columbia metro prove true, we're looking at about 50% more people living here in the next thirty years. That alone should be enough demand to fill the growing retail footprint downtown. If downtown continues urbanizing and adding density, as appears to be the case, the various nodes around the CBD will have enough people living and working around them to keep merchants busy.

Not sure if retailers are willing to gamble rigt now for "what may be" thirty years down the road, though.

I wonder what percentage of that increase will move downtown/City Center? I know that urban living is becoming more popular in Columbia and Southeastern Cities in general.. but Suburbs are still king....though in the Columbia Metro it seems like Blythewood and I guess parts of Lexington County out around the town of Lexington are the real suburban "growth" areas right now..though at a lesser rate than what gave us the present NE Columbia and NW/Harbison. I guess the good news is even if the Central City gets 10% of that growth.. that could likely be several thousand units in the City's core. Whether or not these folks remain in the City or truck it to the burbs once they have kids still seems to be an unknown to many though many millis are not having kids early if at all which may keep them in town longer. It could bode well for intown neighborhoods like Rosewood, Eau Claire, College Place, Hyatt Park, Cedar Terrace, and Colonial Heights along with parts of West Columbia and Cayce. Since millis may get married and move into the trolley car suburbs that resemble Earlewood Park and Keenan Terrace to still be close to the City Center but without being it it because they have gone to the next stage of their lives....

I would love to see the area around Dutch Square come back into favor.. but I think that could be a ways off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area