Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of Wal Mart.. what happened to their proposal to build six neighborhood Wal marts in Columbia? Despite the failure in Olympia.. I wonder why they havent moved forward with any other locations? Seems to me that Eau Claire/ far North Main Street would welcome a Wal mart with open arms..no? I am also shocked they havent tried to get into the ground floor of one of these student housing developments like the one on Assembly or South Main.. You would have built in customers....
Ones going in at west Columbia and I'll check permitting but if I'm not mistaken ones going up near Sandhills so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Ones going in at west Columbia and I'll check permitting but if I'm not mistaken ones going up near Sandhills so far.
Do you mean Cayce? Or is there one coming to both? The article I read said one was coming to an old car dealership at the sharp turn on Knox Abbott right after Krispy Kreme.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of Wal Mart.. what happened to their proposal to build six neighborhood Wal marts in Columbia? Despite the failure in Olympia.. I wonder why they havent moved forward with any other locations? Seems to me that Eau Claire/ far North Main Street would welcome a Wal mart with open arms..no? I am also shocked they havent tried to get into the ground floor of one of these student housing developments like the one on Assembly or South Main.. You would have built in customers....
I live in Eau Claire and am vehemently opposed to having a Wal-mart in the area. If they left the market completely it would make me happy.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Do you mean Cayce? Or is there one coming to both? The article I read said one was coming to an old car dealership at the sharp turn on Knox Abbott right after Krispy Kreme.
Yep that's the one.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I live in Eau Claire and am vehemently opposed to having a Wal-mart in the area. If they left the market completely it would make me happy.
What is wrong with wal-mart? I wouldn't want one in Columbia common, but out near eau Claire close to I-20 what is wrong with that?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:24 PM

377 posts, read 709,733 times
Hold up, I though the county vetoed the Walmart Market on Clemson. Great, now I've got that garbage in my backyard now.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
Hold up, I though the county vetoed the Walmart Market on Clemson. Great, now I've got that garbage in my backyard now.
They did, if I recall correctly. There will be one somewhere in that area at some point, though, I'm sure.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I do not share your bearishness on the economy. There is little reason to expect another major downturn anytime soon. Unemployment is falling, economic development continues to quicken, the dollar is strong, and consumer confidence is rising. Why exactly do you think we're living in "strange economic times"?
I dunno I'll admit it's just a gut feeling. No real insight really. I guess it just feels kind of like 2007 to me, so soon after the crash of 2008/2009 and the recession that followed. I know the overall debt situation is different from 2007, but that just means a downturn might not be as painful/not as much systemic effect.

Does it not seem odd to you to see the volume of projects in the works right now? Don't get me wrong: I am excited and hope they all get built and everything turns out great, but in the back of my mind I wonder when/if the downturn is going to hit and how that might affect/delay our progress. I guess the latest crash is still with me, even though I realize it would likely be a milder downturn if it happened.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
What is wrong with wal-mart? I wouldn't want one in Columbia common, but out near eau Claire close to I-20 what is wrong with that?
For a whole host of reasons, certain people hate Walmart, while others love it. It's almost a litmus test of sorts these days.

I, for one, am in the 'hate Walmart' camp, but am not opposed to a neighborhood market opening anywhere in the city.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
These are Walmart neighborhood grocery stores. I have seen a request that appears to be another one for the old MidlandS Shopping Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area