Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
I'd be surprsied if USC didn't want that rent money from a minor league team. That would be dumb.
It is not the rent that you want to measure but the profit of renting the stadium. And for that, I am not sure we would make money. Any minor league team will want to keep concessions, pay $1 in rent and have the school provide security.

Besides, Carolina's athletic department revenues are approaching $100m annually and conservatively ay rise to $125m+ with the new SEC contract. Any "rents" are not worth the trouble.

So, no, it is not dumb. You are only focused on one side of the income statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM

119 posts, read 226,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You are just wrong. Cut your losses and move on.
Ok. You haven't proven anything that I've said is wrong. You can not logically argue 41K to build a stadium is a good investment for most people in Columbia. It clearly isn't. Most people in Columbia do not care about baseball and this will only benefit the developer and the businesses that come there.

You couldn't run a business because you don't consider the costs of anything. Your solution to revenue is to tax people more. You don't have that luxury in the private sector. If this is such a super duper investment, then they wouldn't need millions of taxpayer money to do it and a gimmick (baseball stadium) to lure people there.

Your happiness in life seems to revolve around government taxing people more and spending more money on boondoogles in downtown areas.

I'm curious, how do you never get banned on here. You don't seem to be liked by anybody and you will turn almost every thread you post on into a Charlotte is the best city in the world thing. You are top shelf b/c you live in Charlotte, bro. lol You really do believe that. That is so depressing.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:08 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
GSP I'm your #1 fan. And yes he is quite an annoying troll.

In reply to Kale and other 20 names and emails he's made just post on this site. I barely post on here to say I always try and shut people. And secondly you're the only one I've actually tried to "shut up" if you want to call it that. All I'm doing showing you the facts that you obviously missed about this development and why this couldn't go anywhere else.

Also you talking about GSP turning threads in to a "Charlotte love fest" while you fail to point out that you always turn everything in to politics in these threads, which is not the intended reason for the thread.

Now you can do what they made ATLfan do in the Greenville forum and make your own thread about politics.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
GSP I'm your #1 fan. And yes he is quite an annoying troll.

In reply to Kale and other 20 names and emails he's made just post on this site. I barely post on here to say I always try and shut people. And secondly you're the only one I've actually tried to "shut up" if you want to call it that. All I'm doing showing you the facts that you obviously missed about this development and why this couldn't go anywhere else.

Also you talking about GSP turning threads in to a "Charlotte love fest" while you fail to point out that you always turn everything in to politics in these threads, which is not the intended reason for the thread.

Now you can do what they made ATLfan do in the Greenville forum and make your own thread about politics.
Actually, you guys turn everyting into a political thing. I just challenge your constant cries for more taxes and more wasteful spending and your insults of anybody who isn't ultra left wing. You want to be able to political soapbox without anybody examining what you say. For awhile you guys turned this COlumbia forum into a gay marriage advocacy forum that should have been over on the politics forum.

This isn't your typical Republican-Democrat issue. Some liberal Democrats are opposed to it for the same reasons I am.

I am in no way more pooitical than GSP, Art, CD and the other Democrat hacks who appear to run this forum. I am going to challenge you when you force your politics down our throats.

It isn't unreasonable to expect city leaders to wait until the taxpayer funded cost-benefit analysis is complete to make a decision on such a huge investment of our money. You can whine all you want but you know they have logical excuse for not waiting on this study.

GSP is the biggest threadjacker on the City Data forums. He has delusions about Charlotte and thinks he is higher species of man b/c he lives there. If he lived in Greenville or Charleston, he'd be the biggest Greenville or Charleston SuperFan too. He has to overhype any place he lives for some reason. Who cares what the average salary is in a city or how many parks there are per square mile other than a dork?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, you guys turn everyting into a political thing. I just challenge your constant cries for more taxes and more wasteful spending and your insults of anybody who isn't ultra left wing. You want to be able to political soapbox without anybody examining what you say. For awhile you guys turned this COlumbia forum into a gay marriage advocacy forum that should have been over on the politics forum.

This isn't your typical Republican-Democrat issue. Some liberal Democrats are opposed to it for the same reasons I am.

I am in no way more pooitical than GSP, Art, CD and the other Democrat hacks who appear to run this forum. I am going to challenge you when you force your politics down our throats.

It isn't unreasonable to expect city leaders to wait until the taxpayer funded cost-benefit analysis is complete to make a decision on such a huge investment of our money. You can whine all you want but you know they have logical excuse for not waiting on this study.

GSP is the biggest threadjacker on the City Data forums. He has delusions about Charlotte and thinks he is higher species of man b/c he lives there. If he lived in Greenville or Charleston, he'd be the biggest Greenville or Charleston SuperFan too. He has to overhype any place he lives for some reason. Who cares what the average salary is in a city or how many parks there are per square mile other than a dork?
Ok Super Kale.......first, tell me how I am political when I use numbers/finance/economics to discuss topics? You were simply wrong on your assessment of using Carolina's Stadium and I showed why.

With regards to Columbia Common and baseball, talk about the project in terms of numbers, payback, investment, ROI, etc......what are your thoughts on that v some political rant of democrat v republican?

Tell us why this is a good or bad project based on what has been presented without the political drama.

For the record, I have never shared my political thoughts. As for Charlotte......first, it has an impact in SC, you can ignore it if you want but it does influence SC. Second, I have a perspective of living in SC and Charlotte so you can chose to learn from a city like Charlotte good or bad. As for Greenville/Charleston.......I left Greenville and never considered Charleston. I am sure a lot of people care about average salary if they are looking to move to a place.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ok Super Kale.......first, tell me how I am political when I use numbers/finance/economics to discuss topics? You were simply wrong on your assessment of using Carolina's Stadium and I showed why.

With regards to Columbia Common and baseball, talk about the project in terms of numbers, payback, investment, ROI, etc......what are your thoughts on that v some political rant of democrat v republican?

Tell us why this is a good or bad project based on what has been presented without the political drama.

For the record, I have never shared my political thoughts. As for Charlotte......first, it has an impact in SC, you can ignore it if you want but it does influence SC. Second, I have a perspective of living in SC and Charlotte so you can chose to learn from a city like Charlotte good or bad. As for Greenville/Charleston.......I left Greenville and never considered Charleston. I am sure a lot of people care about average salary if they are looking to move to a place.
lol, no you didn't. You just asserted there would be a payoff. That isn't proving anything. A good business guy who is dispassionate about this project could wait 6 weeks for the cost-benefit analysis. You guys have no interest in the cost benefits analysis. I do. Yet you claim I'm the political hack and you are Mr. Only Look at the Facts.

I've talked about figures. I'ved talked about 41 million, which isn't chump change, being thrown at a private developer for a fricking baseball stadium. I pointed out that many liberal Democrats oppose this and think this money could be better used to help the poor and other things. You then cry that I'm being political. I never brought up politics, you guys did. I merely oppose this stadium and say it is a boondoggle. Obviously there is some politics to this issue.

This thing only passed on a 4-3 vote and I would guess all 7 of them are Democrats. So obviously you are being Clintonian when you argue that I'm being political when I am agreeing with Democrats. I'm actually being bipartisan.

I think most people apply to companies, who have the bulk of the jobs. They arn;t applying to cities. They apply to companies. So city average salary is a stupid stat to be concerned with. Most people will move to a city where they can maximize salary. If you move to Charlotte without a job, it isn't like you are guaranteed a job at a certain salary simply because it is Charlotte. Charlotte itself has nothing to do with what companies pay employees. An engineer might get great offer from Sonoco or Duke Energy in Hartsville, and no offer from any company in Charlotte, but by your calculation Hartsville sucks for employment looking at average salaries in Hartsville and living in Charlotte would be so much better even though the engineer doesn't have a job offer there or doesn't 'have one that beats the one he has in Hartsville.

The reality is you will tout yourself as Champion of the Poor while supporting 41K giveaways to private developer rich guys. Obviously this isn't a bad point for me to make. You act like citizens don't have the right to talk about what tax money is spent on. I'm not against the project in general and it does have a certain appeal but 41K for a project that appears to be based on the success of a minor league baseball team is a risky project by any measure.

WHat is funny is you yourself have claimed that SC doesn't raise enough tax revenue but somehow we can afford a 41K stadium.. lol I don't want to hear anymore cries for higher taxes if we got that kind of cash on hand for recreational stuff.

Last edited by Kale7; 05-25-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
lol, no you didn't. You just asserted there would be a payoff. That isn't proving anything. A good business guy who is dispassionate about this project could wait 6 weeks for the cost-benefit analysis. You guys have no interest in the cost benefits analysis. I do. Yet you claim I'm the political hack and you are Mr. Only Look at the Facts.

I've talked about figures. I'ved talked about 41 million, which isn't chump change, being thrown at a private developer for a fricking baseball stadium. I pointed out that many liberal Democrats oppose this and think this money could be better used to help the poor and other things. You then cry that I'm being political. I never brought up politics, you guys did. I merely oppose this stadium and say it is a boondoggle. Obviously there is some politics to this issue.

This thing only passed on a 4-3 vote and I would guess all 7 of them are Democrats. So obviously you are being Clintonian when you argue that I'm being political when I am agreeing with Democrats. I'm actually being bipartisan.

I think most people apply to companies, who have the bulk of the jobs. They arn;t applying to cities. They apply to companies. So city average salary is a stupid stat to be concerned with. Most people will move to a city where they can maximize salary. If you move to Charlotte without a job, it isn't like you are guaranteed a job at a certain salary simply because it is Charlotte. Charlotte itself has nothing to do with what companies pay employees.

The reality is you will tout yourself as Champion of the Poor while supporting 41K giveaways to private developer rich guys. Obviously this isn't a bad point for me to make. You act like citizens don't have the right to talk about what tax money is spent on. I'm not against the project in general and it does have a certain appeal but 41K for a project that appears to be based on the success of a minor league baseball team is a risky project by any measure.

WHat is funny is you yourself have claimed that SC doesn't raise another tax revenue but somehow we can afford a 41K stadium.. lol I don't want to hear anymore cries for higher taxes if we got that kind of cash on hand for recreational stuff.
You have not said much about anything with numbers or without. You are simply complaining. Unless you have more than that or can understand the full income statement, you need a new hobby.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You have not said much about anything with numbers or without. You are simply complaining. Unless you have more than that or can understand the full income statement, you need a new hobby.
lol dude, you always fall back on your big bad Darla Moore "business" degree. You've never run a business in your life though and you would fail in a skinny minute if you tried. You live in a world where other people foot the costs for things, you don't actually have to earn the revenue yourself.

ALl you are doing is shilling for a spending project and demonizing any rational and responsible person from asking it if is a wise investment from a cost standpoint and from a universial benefit to Columbia residents standpoint.

Anybody can assert there will be a payoff. Obama said the stimilus would create jobs and there would be a payoff but there was no payoff. Now we have a massive deficit and debt to boot with a historic number of people unemployed.
So obviously your projections don't mean anything and again, the politicians you support on this refused to wait on a cost-benefit analysis because it wasn't going to support their desire to do this baseball stadium. There is no dispassionate objectivity on this from your camp. You want it, and you will have it, forget the costs.

I don't see you investing in this slam dunk Bull Street project. lol But you have no problem investing 41K of SC taxpayer's money in it. It is actually a lot more than 41K. 41K is just for the stadium. There has already been a ton spent on the utlities and other things for the site as I understand it.

Last edited by Kale7; 05-25-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
It is not the rent that you want to measure but the profit of renting the stadium. And for that, I am not sure we would make money. Any minor league team will want to keep concessions, pay $1 in rent and have the school provide security.

Besides, Carolina's athletic department revenues are approaching $100m annually and conservatively ay rise to $125m+ with the new SEC contract. Any "rents" are not worth the trouble.

So, no, it is not dumb. You are only focused on one side of the income statement.
It is a good thing SC doesn't pay you to run their affairs. lol They wouldn't be approaching 100m annually. Be running at a loss as you threw money at one boondoggle after another. Pretty sure the people managing SC's revenue are pretty conservative.

A rent rate is based on offseting costs and making a profit on top of that. They could certainly rent the stadium out and make a profit and mimimize their own costs out of pocket. This is the obvious and smart thing the city and the university should do but instead go head and waste 41K of tax revenue on a baseball stadium a mile away for a minor league team.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
yeah they can. or they can fund their own stadium. They arenn't paying for other people's pet projects so why should we pay for theirs?

If a Costco were to set up there, or a siminlar store that Columbia doesn't have, it would bring in more people than a tax funded expensive baseball stadium and some smaller stores few people care about. But you won't be excited about a Costco I suspect.

I think the people in the North Main area deserve their own Walmart but god knows a walmart would be opposed by the urbanites in Cola. lol
I live in the North Main area and do NOT want a Wal-mart in the downtown area. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area