Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 PM

677 posts, read 793,075 times

Advertisements

The thing is, even if it takes 30 years,
might as well start now. Slowly but surely. I honestly wasn't that shocked that they are exploring student housing. I would prefer that not happen or that they not specifically market to students exclusively, but the economic reality is that that may need to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,482,760 times
Here is an update video on the baseball stadium.

VIDEO: Columbia Fireflies stadium update | The State

Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,415,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Here is an update video on the baseball stadium.

VIDEO: Columbia Fireflies stadium update | The State
Good update. With the South Atlantic League season over (the Sand Gnats lost in the divisional round of the playoffs to the Asheville Tourists) I hope to hear more/see more from the Fireflies as they can concentrate on ramping up operations in Columbia. I saw they've posted two jobs locally for a graphics manager and a director of special events. Can't wait to keep hearing more. Offhand the following still need to be announced/unveiled (only including the stuff the team itself has control over):

• Uniforms
  • Mascot
  • Promotions calendar
  • Concessions lineup
  • Parking plans until the decks/garages at the Commons are built up

Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,011,158 times
The Parker Annex building has been sold to an undisclosed buyer who intends to renovate the building before occupying the upper floors and leasing the ground level. Like everyone else, I yearn for more specific information, but it is good to see that interest in the development is reaching the point where ink is being put to paper.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,378,795 times
Still no word on these "exclusive, not-yet-in-SC" tenants? Hmm.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:55 AM

8,137 posts, read 13,188,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Still no word on these "exclusive, not-yet-in-SC" tenants? Hmm.

*Yawn*.. ...there are so many other exciting things happening in the Vista.. that I doubt anyone cares anymore.... I wonder if the City is still going to build all of the infrastructure post flooding and all the rebuilding and modernization that has to occur along Gill Creek and the Canal?.. Every creek, drainage stream, culvert and dry creek bed in the City seemed to have flooded. I went to check on my parents and a little stream that was barely an inch deep became a river and wiped out everything that was within ten yards of it......Glad this didnt happen when I was a kid.. because instead of sailing army men down it and trying to rescue them before they went into the culvert.. I would have gotten out my Kayak and ..... would likely not be here now....*shudder*

For all you Gen Xers.. remember Land of the Loss TV Show.. that would have been me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKIuJWRMaI

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-27-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 11:24 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,482,760 times
With a 1000 year flood there will inevitably be flooding in many areas. Some of the responsibility needs to fall on people building close to water sources. I checked flood maps before buying and made sure I was nowhere near one.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
With a 1000 year flood there will inevitably be flooding in many areas. Some of the responsibility needs to fall on people building close to water sources. I checked flood maps before buying and made sure I was nowhere near one.
I mostly agree. Without a Netherlands-style investment in total flood management, I don't think there is much that can be done about a thousand year flood.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:14 PM

8,137 posts, read 13,188,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I mostly agree. Without a Netherlands-style investment in total flood management, I don't think there is much that can be done about a thousand year flood.

So is the City going to allow any of the homes that were wiped out to rebuild in the same spot? I guess 1k years no one will be around to care... They probably cant stop them... Down on the coast didnt all of those millionaires scream foul when the state tried to stop them from rebuilding after HUGO? Folks along the Gold Coast of Lake Katherine and in the Gill Creek Watershed have plenty of voice to SCREAM and actually have someone LISTEN.... I can only imagine that many of them didnt buy flood insurance because of the 1k flood plain issue and no one would have thought (in a thousand years) that the Beaver Dam (or whatever it was) would have broken.. I had a friend call me from Maryland and say that we are a bunch of hicks.. When I asked why.. he said.. "Why in the hell would you allow a Beaver to engineer your flood control device to keep your city from flooding.." Dam Beavers.. need to the their PE license taken...

Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
So is the City going to allow any of the homes that were wiped out to rebuild in the same spot? I guess 1k years no one will be around to care... They probably cant stop them... Down on the coast didnt all of those millionaires scream foul when the state tried to stop them from rebuilding after HUGO? Folks along the Gold Coast of Lake Katherine and in the Gill Creek Watershed have plenty of voice to SCREAM and actually have someone LISTEN.... I can only imagine that many of them didnt buy flood insurance because of the 1k flood plain issue and no one would have thought (in a thousand years) that the Beaver Dam (or whatever it was) would have broken.. I had a friend call me from Maryland and say that we are a bunch of hicks.. When I asked why.. he said.. "Why in the hell would you allow a Beaver to engineer your flood control device to keep your city from flooding.." Dam Beavers.. need to the their PE license taken...
I bet they will be rebuilt. The question is whether they will rebuild with flood mitigation in mind, like building higher off the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area