Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Wal-Mart is doing that to a degree with its Neighborhood Market stores, like this one in downtown Chicago:

Perfect.. the Bull Street Developer said he didnt want a Walmart on his site... so I dont see one going there anytime soon unless he gets desparate cause nothing else has signed on...Therefore that leaves the 5 points area and possibly Main @ Elmwood where the old Car Dealer was as a potential site.. though downtown boosters may not be happy about having a Wal mart literally on Main Street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The warehouse that is over on Sunset Drive between Main and 277 was owned by Walmart...and used to be some form of "Sams" back in the 80s. It was short lived and now I think its just a warehouse. I am surprised that Walmart hasnt revisited that site tried to convert it into an"urban" walmart or even a Sams Club.. I know people may frown at the location.. but it is close to downtown and is certainly "intown" enough to capitalize on the USC and city dwellers in the northern and northwestern part of the City
It's owned by Palmetto Health now, but I think it's for sale. I'd hate to see a Wal-mart go in there, though. I don't want any Wal-marts inside the city limits.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM

83 posts, read 183,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's owned by Palmetto Health now, but I think it's for sale. I'd hate to see a Wal-mart go in there, though. I don't want any Wal-marts inside the city limits.
I think the Harbison Wal-Mart is technically inside the city limits.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
I think the Harbison Wal-Mart is technically inside the city limits.

Is the one on Forest Drive in the City as well? I believe it is.. when that shopping center was built I think the developer had a choice of going into either Forest Acres or the City of Columbia. Both were chomping at the bit to get that property in.. I think Columbia won out because of water/sewer rates were less than being "outside" the City. The blessing of having your own utility. In the NE some of those areas have their own water though they may use City of Columbia Sewer....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 PM

14,183 posts, read 14,535,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Why not inside the city limits?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why not inside the city limits?
Because Wal-mart adds nothing to the city.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,923,927 times
Harbison, Forest drive, Bush River, and Garners ferry Walmarts are all in the city limits

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Harbison, Forest drive, Bush River, and Garners ferry Walmarts are all in the city limits

Forgot about those.......... I am no Wal Fan.. but they do provide sales and property tax base to the City.. especially with that penny sales tax add on stuff for Road projects.. All the employee relations stuff/healthcare etc... I can see being a turn off.. I dont see Wal Marts destroying downtowns anymore like used to.. Atleast not in midsize to large cities. The "Main Streets" in Columbia, Greenville, and even Florence are prime examples as they are in various stages of revitalization to fit consumers/ residents ever growing needs/interest that cant be fully supplied by a big box Wal Mart in the fringe of the City..

Old 05-03-2014, 03:01 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,583,455 times
Columbia is underserved in a couple of areas.........downtown class A space, the chain restaurants like Cheesecke Factory ( there are better places but they have a following), and national retail ( it is getting better and the recent editions will get attention, more new space is needed). And........HOTELS, try getting a good room when Carolina has an event which is almost every weekend. The Hyatt is a start but the city could use another 300 room hotel, maybe a Westin (could be combined with an Aflac tower) or Omni and a couple of Hampton Inn type operations.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 45,503 times
Lexington and N.E Columbia/ Blythewood seem underserved especially restaurants. Lexington doesn't even have run of the mill steakhouses like Outback or Longhorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area